“Take out problems”

Taste Grill
Ranked #69 of 167 Restaurants in Boone
Cuisines: Sushi, Chinese, Japanese
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I’m local and have been a customer of The Taste Grill for several years. It has been progressively getting worse in terms of service. The wait for the orders is usually 25 min but that’s never reliable. My worst experience with them is that they make mistakes on the orders. Yesterday I ordered a tofu dish and then, because of those past errors, repeated again that it’s tofu. When I arrived 25 min later for pick up, not only was it not ready but they were preparing chicken instead. The counter help offered a cheerful “sorry, we can redo it” without any overt concern for my wasted time and inconvenience. Mistakes in my orders have happened 3 or 4 times already and I feel that carelessness has become a norm for this restaurant.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (81)

Reviewed July 23, 2019

Put in an online order today at 5:30, and food was supposed to be ready by 6:00. I drove to town, and got there about 5:50, let them know I was there, and paid for the order, which was just over $30. I waited and waited, until they finally called my name at 6:25. I brought the food home, and my wife and I sat down to eat.....we thought. She had ordered the Hibachi Salmon, which was completely burned on both sides, and resembled a piece of cardboard, in both looks and taste. The vegetables were hard and barely cooked. I had ordered Sesame Chicken, which was way overcooked and dry, almost as if it had been put back in the fryer a second time to keep warm, and had a taste as if it had been cooked in oil that fish had been fried in. We both tried taking a few bites, but ended up throwing this expensive mistake away. Would have taken it back, if I had the time and gasoline to spare! Never again!

Date of visit: July 2019
Reviewed June 26, 2019

Taste Grill is the place that App students get when they want quick and cheap takeout. The servings are pretty big and the to-go orders are $5 for a plate. You only get 2 options, but they're good. I have heard many Boone natives say that the place isn't very sanitary (a waitress told me this too one time), but I don't eat here enough to know. There IS a gluten free menu, which is what I always have to eat off of. If you have a gluten allergy, you really need to make sure that you let the cashier know that you CANNOT have soy sauce (or the waitress if you are dining in). If you like veggie rolls, this place has the best ones I have ever had! (They aren't gluten free, but I used to eat them before I got celiac disease).

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed May 12, 2019 via mobile

Picked up a couple of hibachi chicken and rice plates to go. Called ahead with food hot and ready when picked up. Delicious food, extremely reasonable with large portions.

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed October 23, 2018

Sometimes this place is very busy and service is slow. They don't have a lot of tables and it seems like they have an adequate wait staff. I often see the wait staff talking at length with each other while people wait to be seated or waiting on their food. The price of the food is very reasonable for what you get.

Date of visit: September 2018