“Heaven on earth.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Shankara Ayurveda Spa
Ranked #3 of 9 Boone B&B and Inns
“Heaven on earth.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

This spa is heads (and tails) above the rest! Literally, located the the beautiful mountains of Boone, North Carolina. Upon arrival it greets you with one of the most peaceful feelings I have ever felt. I was one of the first to book services and had to reschedule a few times. The staff was very patient and understanding. I was simultaneously attending an Art of Silence retreat. The two in combination can only be described as Heaven on Earth.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Ntynanslite

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

I almost hate to tell people how much I loved this place, because I'm afraid it will get harder to get a room. But in all honesty, this was the perfect place for a relaxing getaway along the Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina. I spent four nights there, and selected a hotel-type room in the Spa building for both the view and the king-sized bed. There was a flat-screen TV in the roon, but I didn't ever turn it on. The manager and staff were friendly and attentive, but also aware that many guests prefer solitude. Vegetarian, locally-sourced, cafeteria-style meals are available just up the hill at the International Center for Meditation and Well-being for $10 per meal, which certainly beats driving back and forth to town. I enjoyed several delicious lunches and dinners with other guests and residents, including a large group on retreat from a nearby college. Other than choosing to socialize at meals though, I had the feeling that I was alone in a cabin on top of the mountain. I particularly enjoyed watching the sunrise, doing needlework in the sun on the dining room deck, and going to sleep in utter silence except for the chorus of tree frogs in the woods nearby. Definitely a place to make a regular stop on my travels!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Joyce P
Durham, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

Usually when I find a hotel/destination online, I try to lower my expectations because nothing looks as good as it does online, right? In this case, however, I am happy to say that this place exceeded my expectations in every way. My room was on the second floor of the spa with an no-charge upgrade to a mountain view. The queen sized bed was very comfortable, with clean white covers and soft white cotton sheets! In the closet there was a robe for the excellent steam room downstairs next to the well equipped exercise room with machines. The shampoo and other soaps from my bathroom lent a spa clean, invigorating scent to the room. There is nothing I like better than fresh air and when I entered my room, the large windows were open to a beautiful mountain view and the weather although still summer in late August had a nice breeze. I did not miss air conditioning at all. The food was vegan and excellent, and I bought a cookbook in the gift shop! The meals cost $10 each and you could eat to your heart's content a soup, salad and main vegan course and the breakfasts were hot cereal and fresh breads. The food presentation was not four star quality, more like a cafeteria, but the food was out of this world so it didn't matter to me. The owner/manager told me that he is working on opening a restaurant where there will be waiter service but I was happy to cafeteria it with great food at an unbelievable price! We shared the cafeteria with students of the International Institute of Meditation and Well-being on silent retreats. My friends enjoyed a hike during the day but I chose to sit in the secluded, calm salon of the spa on the spa's third floor and read for the first time in a long time to my heart's content. I also enjoyed an amazing Thai Massage session. The next day I scheduled an exotic treatment that I was looking forward to. However, it worked out better for me to cancel it and the owner/manager allowed me to cancel the spot at the last minute with no charge. Everyone was so nice and accomodating. Included in the reasonably priced rooms are meditation, yoga class and chanting everyday. I enjoyed shopping at the gift store with its reasonably priced and brightly colored gifts! I plan to go again to this place before it is discovered and is booked a year in advance!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bailey F
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

I just spent 3 nights at the Blue Heaven Spa and it was one of the most pleasant, relaxing weekends I've ever experienced. I've never stayed anyplace that the staff was more attentive or concerned for our total comfort and experience. Not only was the Spa amazing, but the vegan food and staff at the International Meditation and Wellness Center was equally amazing. The location is beautiful and peaceful. I highly recommend both the Blue Heaven Spa and the International Meditation and Wellness Center.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Janet P
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

This is one of the most relaxing and beautiful environments I have ever been in. The staff is extremely accommodating and the views from the hotel windows spectacular! The wi-fi works great and did not have to re-enter my password more than once. They also have ice machines! I loved the mountain breeze and the open windows. The food was the best I have ever had and completely affordable. The weekend left me feeling wholly rejuvenated. I did not want to leave and I cannot wait to go back!

Room Tip: There are 'wooded' views or mountain views. I prefer the mountain views but that is a person...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lareine R
jtgonzo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

My wife and I were looking for a quiet retreat in the mountains and Blue Heaven was perfect. We didn't try any of the spa services this time, but our room on the second floor was clean and comfortable, with a wonderful view over the mountains. The rooms aren't air conditioned, so it might be a bit warm on a midsummer day, but the air cools at night and the ceiling fan provides good circulation. We also enjoyed some good vegetarian meals at the community dining hall for just $10 each. You are only about 10 minutes from the Blue Ridge parkway, and 20 minutes from great walking trails at Moses Cone and Julian Price parks. I'm sure we will be back.

One caution--follow their driving directions and don't rely on your GPS. One route up the mountain is gated off, which may surprise your GPS.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jtgonzo
Yadkinville
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

This place does not have AC and we were told with fan we wouldnt need any,also no ice machines or vending and Wi-fi you have to put password and ID user in each time. Nice room but would not stay here again.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Amy S
Andrew K, Public Relations Manager at Shankara Ayurveda Spa, responded to this review, June 28, 2014
Your feedback is important. We have added an ice machine for guests as well as solved the wifi issue so that repeatedly logging in is not necessary. Hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boone
Courtyard Boone
#3 of 15 in Blowing Rock
Chetola Resort at Blowing Rock
Chetola Resort at Blowing Rock
#2 of 15 in Blowing Rock

Been to Shankara Ayurveda Spa? Share your experiences!