“A Dirty Dump - Avoid”

Highland Hills Motel & Cabins
Reviewed August 7, 2010

We stayed in a "Weekender Cabin," and it was dirty, old, and entirely unlpeasant. When we pulled out the full-sized sofa bad for the kids, we found that it was dirty and there were only twin sheets. When I asked for appropriately sized sheets, reception told us that it was probaly the best they could do and couldn't we make it work. After one night, we left early in the morning; we would not even take a shower here.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank lgunther
JimBoone, Owner at Highland Hills Motel & Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2010

I'm sorry lgunther had a poor experience on his family vacation, however I believe he has attributed his review to the incorrect lodging establishment. Hidden Valley Motel does not own or operate any cabins of any sort, only 8 motel rooms. None of our motel rooms contain a sofa bed, couldn't very well of had a sofa bed problem in one of our guest rooms. We have no reception desk and no employees, our office consists of grandma's marble top dresser in the front room of our home, and no one except for Maxine and I to speak to our guests. My attitude is that if something is wrong it must be my fault and I'll try my best to fix it on the spot. Jim

Reviewed August 4, 2010

We booked the 2 queen beds without the fireplace room. The room was huge and it looked the the website,BUT those pictures had to be taken in the late 90's! It looked old and worn. The carpets had stains and holes in it and the wallpaper was peeling on the inner wall. The outer walls were made of logs. I am so glad we had an end unit because when our neighbors came into their room,we could hear them through the walls! It was like they were in the room with us. Every word, was as clear as a bell ( btw, I don't think Bubba would like the bad things you were saying about him!).While the loudmouths were NOT Highland Hills fault, the lack of insulation in the inner walls was their fault . We could also hear the person under us taking a shower at 4 a.m. The bathroom was dated the sound of water running was loud. We had a balcony that had a great view of the mountain, but the outside chairs were filthy and the dirt was an inch thick. There were Cheetos all over the balcony. When I went into the bathoom to get a towel, I was met with a sign that said,"Do not use towels for cleaning or taking off makeup. You WILL be charged for all stains." All I can say about that is unbelievable . So at $134, if you want to stay up all night listening to your neighbors gossip, hear the loud showers that are turned on at all hours and sleep in a dirty room,this place is for you!

2  Thank LaurenSampson
Reviewed November 11, 2009

Our family visited Boone to check out Appalachian State for my stepson. We stayed in the Highland Hills "Elkhorn" cabin and had a fantastic experience through and through. At check in, the manager allowed us to upgrade to a large cabin with no issues. The cabin was clean, quiet and convenient to downtown and the college. The cabin had a gas fireplace, cable and wireless service. The cabins are positioned up on a hill so you feel tucked away. We are really hoping our stepson picks App State so we can make this a regular stay.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank 2m8toe
Reviewed October 19, 2009

All the brand name hotels were booked one of the two nights I was to stay in Boone. Thought I'd take a chance on Highland Hills. I was very pleasently surprised to find that my room was very clean, quiet and upto date. Everything worked the way it should have. My only small complaint was there were no laundry facilities for the guests. other than that, two thumbs up! I stay with them again.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed October 24, 2008

We chose this hotel for the weekend of the Wholly Worm Festival and peak leaf weekend. All of the chain hotels in the area wanted $189 and up per night- we paid $91 tax included. The facility has standard rooms which we did not see, we rented a log cabin room with 2 queen beds. The room was huge and tucked up in the woods behind the motel section with a great balcony view, microwave, huge refrig. and coffee maker. Beds and pillows were very comfortable, lamp shades are a bit worn and a few spots on the bathroom ceiling but not an issue. This appears to be a family run facility with a great, friendly staff. They also have cabins for rent. We were very happy for the price and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank beachgirlRandleman
Reviewed August 6, 2006

Have stayed at Highland Hills numerous times thru the years and enjoyed my stay tremendously. After my last stay I can only believe ownership has changed hands. The phone in my room did not work. After 3 complaints nothing was done. The room was not clean when we arrived and not cleaned the whole time we were there other than quick vacuum and beds made. Sinks and tub not cleaned during our stay. With 3 people in the room we never got more than 4 towels. After 3 nights checked out and went to another motel.
Will never stay there again!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank tobikat
A TripAdvisor Member
Parkersburg, WV
Reviewed January 11, 2005

My husband and I have stayed at Highland Hills for the last ten years and we have loved every minute. The staff is wonderful and have gone out of their way to make our stay enjoyable. When we come to the Boone, NC area we would never dream of staying anywhere else! Highland Hills is like our home away from home!

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member