“Nice hotel in a lovely town”

Quality Inn & Suites University
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Boone
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 5, 2006

We came to Boone with our 2 kids to visit Thomas the Tank Engine at Tweetsie Railroad and stayed 2 nights. The rooms were clean and spacious and the beds very comfortable. Noise from the other guests was a bit of a problem (lots of little kids there to see Thomas). But after turning on the blower of the A/C unit, it was drowned out and we slept great! We also enjoyed the indoor heated pool so bring your swimsuit! A free continental breakfast is offered which included frozen waffles (you pop them in the toaster), pastries, bagels, a few dry cereals, hard boiled eggs, fresh biscuits with sausage and gravy, fruit cocktail, OJ, apple juice, coffee, tea. The 'dining' area was nice with a large stone fireplace and TV and the lady responsible for the breakfast kept everything well stocked. The other staff was very friendly and helpful. On our way there from Atlanta, we couldn't find the hotel (at 11:00 pm) and called to get directions. We were given accurate, detailed directions and when we arrived, the room key was waiting for us so we could just carry our sleeping kids right to bed.
We were able to enjoy our trip to beautiful Boone and Tweetsie because of the great accomodations and service there. First night rate (Thurs) was $79 and the second night (Fri) was $159 using our AAA card. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: June 2006
1  Thank 2PennStatePitaBabies

Atlanta
Reviewed June 4, 2006

I Lived in Boone for many years and since moving away I travel back often. I have stayed in many places in my visits back, but none can macth the Best Western of Boone for it's cleanliness, service, location and amennities. It's hard to beat when I come back from hiking and sit in the hot water of my own jacuzzi. The people smiled at each of my requests with a freindly, "Yes sir, I'll take of it." There is no better outside of Mama's place to stay for a visit to Boone.

PS....the biscuits and gravy were great!

PSS....it was worth every penny.

• Stayed: June 2006
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 26, 2006

Really nice digs for the money. Paid $125 on Mem. day weekend! Got a lg. room, with 2 QUEENS! nice B'fast too! very nice pool, cool game room. Hotel is across the street from a mall with a multi-cinema, AND a restaurant called The Bistro is across the street as well. Let me tell you. We travel a great deal-Europe, you name it. Guess what the Bistro holds it's own in it's price range. Unreal-in BOONE, N.C. no less! Well, thats about it. Not much not to like about this hotel, very fine in its price range. Bye!

Stayed: May 2006
2  Thank Michael A
Plant City, Florida
Reviewed April 14, 2006

A member of my family experienced a medical emergency while on the ski slopes. The Best Western staff went the extra mile to meet the needs of my family during my husband's hospital stay. Having a hotel room where I felt safe with my children made the situation a little easier.

• Stayed: March 2006
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Jackson, MS
Reviewed March 22, 2006

I have never stayed in a nicer hotel. This is by far the best service my wife and I have ever received and we do travel often. The front-desk and housekeeping staff went above and beyond the call of duty. My wife and I were up for our anniversary and I wanted to surprise her. When we checked into the room, there were rose petals on the bed and around the jacuzzi, a bottle of champagne, and a gift basket with all sorts of goodies. I asked them to surprise us, but I never expected this. My wife cried. Every employee from all of the front desk staff, to housekeeping, and even the maintenance guy acknowledged us and most even said "Happy Anniversary". Everyone there called us by name and really made us feel like they were happy we were there. The breakfast bar was awesome with some of the best biscuits and gravy I've ever had. I cannot tell you how much we loved this place and can't wait to go back. The front desk had made us dinner reservations at an amazing restaurant called Wildflower. The food was incredible. The swimming pool was great, the cleanest we've ever seen in a hotel. While we were relaxing at the pool, we talked to several other families that said when they came to Boone, this was the only place they stayed. My wife and I are coming back in the summer and we've already made reservations here. If you're coming to Boone, this is the only place to stay. Hospitality at its Best!

• Stayed: March 2006
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 10, 2005

Should you listen to me? I'm someone who usually stays in a modest hotel - Hampton, Fairfield, Holiday Inn. Will do a Ramada or Hilton on occasion. A Lodge or resort/spa is a treat for me. Mostly I want a CLEAN ROOM and I prefer a new hotel or a recently renovated one.

The town: Boone is a great place to visit the mountains. Good location and a short drive to everything in the area. Plenty of food options. Plenty of entertainment options. Go to the Daniel Boone Inn for family style down-home dinner. No options - you get what they're serving but there should be something for everyone. I've been to Boone several times to hike or just enjoy the surroundings such as: Grandfather Mtn., Tweetsie RR (for the kids), Linville Falls, Linville Caverns, a drive down the BRP, or a drive north to Damascus and Grayson Highlands State Park, VA....

The HOTEL:

The good: Very clean room. Staff was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was very good with a wide variety of food (fruit, cereal, breads, bagels, waffles, sausage, biscuits, etc.). Pool was clean and well kept.

The so-so: The hotel is sort of on the edge (eastern side coming in on Hwy.421) of town so you really can't walk to restaurants. But, all of those things are a close drive. I thought the bathroom could have used another light as it was dim in the shower but other than that it was fine. Right now there is another hotel going up next door so the grounds are a little unsightly on one side but otherwise very nice. No real view.

Finally, this is a great "base camp" to see NW North Carolina and a great place if you have kids. I've stayed in three hotels in this town and this was the best one so far.

• Stayed: October 2005
8  Thank Van-go67
Reviewed August 29, 2005

This hotel must be one of the best BW hotels I have ever stayed in. To be honest, the BW group is very variable - you can stay in some extreme budget options. This hotel whilst moderately priced is absolutely first class. We had a fireplace/jacuzzi suite and it was fantastic especially for our family of 2 adults/2 teens. The room is huge with a kingsize bed plus a queen sofa bed. There is a massive tv, a fireplace and a large corner style jacuzzi bath. In the bathroom (which is a fair size) there is a bath/shower combo too.

It looks extremely new but I believe is not. Very quiet too with great views of the valley. The reception staff were pleasant and helpful. The breakfast buffet was one of the best with cereal/muffins/bagels/biscuits/sausage/juice etcetc. Plenty of it and good quality. The other facilities were great too.

We enjoyed Boone and would have loved to have stayed longer. There are plenty of restaurants to suit every budget from KFC up. It is extremely well placed for sightseeing.

We went to "Horn in the West" a show that has been running for many years. I wish I could say it was good but it was absolutely dreadful made worse by the constant attack of flies and mosquitoes. We had to leave. Be warned!

One other warning: The Blowing Rock (in Blowing Rock) is privately owned and costs $$$ to see. It really isn't worth it at all. Don't go. Grandfather Mountain is also privately owned and costs the same but is infinitely better - wonderful scenery, zoo, picnics etc.

• Stayed: August 2005