“Beware! This motel does not honor reservations!”

Quality Inn & Suites University
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Boone
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 20, 2009

I can't review the motel itself, at least not the inside of it, since I actually did not get to stay there, in spite of having made a reservation days in advance and using a credit card to hold it. My husband and I arrived in Boone on a cold, snowy evening and were looking forward to the room we'd reserved that had a whirpool and a fireplace. When I went to the counter to check-in, I was shocked to be told that my room was not available. The reason I was given was that another couple had decided to stay over, and the motel "could not legally" make them leave, even though I already had the room reserved. I have since researched this and found there is no such law in North Carolina. I was also told that the desk clerk had tried to call me earlier to inform me of the situation, but I was not home. Obviously, since I was in North Carolina, I was not at home in Kentucky. According to my caller i.d., the phone call was not made until 4:27 pm the day of check-in. The desk clerk went on to tell me that she had arranged for me a room next door at the Country Inn. It was a similar room, but without the fireplace. Since rooms were scarce in Boone that night, and I was somewhat over a barrel, I took it. Country Inn honored the price Best Western had promised me and gave me $10 off, due to the lack of a fireplace. We went to the Country Inn, which was nice, but I was, and still am furious that this motel thinks it's acceptable to not honor reservations.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CoalTownTraveler

Reviewed August 23, 2009

During our trip to Boone, NC we decided to stay in the Best Western Blue Ridge Plaza. What a mistake! We made a reservation for a non-smoking room. When we entered our room the smell of smoke hit us square in the face. A tell tale sign that a smoker was in the room was that the window was opened. Maybe the guest or the cleaning crew opened it but it didn't do any good. I am sure the cleaning crew smelled it also and should have to told the front desk so that they would not book that room. We called the front desk and asked to be moved and were told that they were all booked. We asked for a refund and was told that it it was to late in the evening. On top of that the AC was so noisy that neither of us could sleep and the mattresses felt like they were bought out of the back of a pick up truck. It's not the first time we have had a bad experience at a Best Western but it will certainly be the last. Holiday Inn Express tops them any day of the week, the rates are cheaper, the beds are better and the hotels are cleaner.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ibbrab123
Reviewed August 2, 2009

We decided to go to Boone for the weekend. The Best Western was clean and comfortable. The location was convenient to eating, nightlife, and sightseeing. Front desk was helpful and the breakfast selection was pretty good. Nothing fancy about it but it was all we needed!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravelingLolita
Reviewed July 22, 2009

This hotel was nice and clean. It was up the hill from the main street, so it was quiet. Check-in was fast and easy and the desk person was very pleasant. We got the room on Priceline, but were given a room with a mountain view, fireplace, and jacuzzi tub. Breakfast was okay, not great. The best part was getting all this for our Priceline price of $55/night.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 15, 2009

The room was spacious and very clean. The bed was comfortable. The lobby was lovely, with beautiful paintings and the unique fountain. The swing on the front porch facing the waterfall was beautiful. The staff was so friendly and helpful. Every one of them would smile and speak to us, asking how our trip was going, how our day was, or if we needed anything/anything they could help us with. One of the best hotel staffs we have encountered.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wvgirl71
Reviewed March 27, 2009

My boyfriend and I went to the Nascar race in Bristol and stayed at this hotel. We had a wonderful time. The staff was awesome! They went out of their way to take care of us in any way that they could. They recommended a great restaurant "Cafe Portofino". The directions they gave us to the track were great too. The breakfast was amazing. We loved the homemade waffles and the breakfast lady was great. Our room had a fireplace and was very spacious. We will definently be back

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sedwards9034
Reviewed March 18, 2009

As I stated don't waste your money. The staff was rude, esp. the young lady who checked us in. First off her top was so low I felt I was takining my children to a peep show, than we felt as though we were bothering her for some reason.

After getting to our rooms, we never unpacked, the rooms smelled and looked as though it was barley cleaned, if cleaned at all. After complaining at the front desk, I asked to speak with the manager. Well to my surprise it was the same young lady from the peep show.

Well she said she was sorry,got on her computer and checked us out and stood there with a smile on her face. When I asked about new rooms she suggested we try Holiday Inn.

Just to let you know we did. The hoilday Inn gave us a great price and the rooms were outstanding.

So if your going to Boone NC, don't waste your money at the Best Western, unless your looking for a peep show!

Stayed: March 2009