“New clean inexpensive”

Quality Inn & Suites University
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Boone
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 22, 2013

This is a nice clean new hotel that is very affordable and also has a pool. I was in Boone to climb Grandfather mountain and needed a place to stay. This was convenient to downtown Boone and a short drive to the mountain. Breakfast is the standard yogurt, cereal, waffle affair but welcome anyway.
It had very low occupancy when I was there, but would recommend reservations most of the year.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank John_A_NC
Sonya N, Front Office Manager at Quality Inn & Suites University, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are all so happy that you enjoyed your stay here with us. We love to hear our guests feedback to ensure that all of our guests have similar experiences. Again thank you, and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

I was riding the Blue Ridge Parkway on my motorcycle and booked a room in Boone. I had looked at the area on Google Earth and thought the hotel would be easy to find. That was not the case. Except for a very small sign which is with some other signs, there is nothing to identify this as a hotel. I rode by twice before I realized this was the hotel I was looking for. Once I did find it, they were very accommodating. They changed my room to a ground floor where I could park the bike right outside my room. There is an entrance on the end which made it handy to load and unload the bike. Room was clean and quite. Staff were friendly and courteous. Provided breakfast was the usually cereal, bagels, pastries plus a waffle maker which was ok with me a I wanted to get an early start. I usually ride the Parkway once a year and the next time I stay in Boone I will probably stay here. Now that I know how to find it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Sonya N, Front Office Manager at Quality Inn & Suites University, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Dear Guest,

All of us here at the Best Western Plus Blue Ridge Plaza sincerely thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We do apologize for the troubles you had in locating us but we are pleased to hear that once you found us you enjoyed your stay. We work really hard to make sure that each and every one of our guests are happy while they are staying with us.

Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed May 16, 2013

We booked our room at this Best Western at least five months before our arrival and we still found ourselves in a room with a view of the garbage cans at the rear of the hotel. The room was clean and comfortable but the TV was positioned at the foot of the bed rather than in the seating area. However, our experience was spoiled when it all went pear shaped at breakfast the following morning when there was very food little available. Apparently the hotel had been very busy the previous day and the food stocks had not been replenished in time for our breakfast. Coffee was also missing. I overheard the member of staff working the breakfast area be dismissive to another client who questioned the lack of food and when I made a complaint to the front desk did not receive an apology but rather the litany of excuses all offered with a laugh. Not the best customer service., Oh and the toilet didn't work properly in our room.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank phantomabroad
Sonya N, Front Office Manager at Quality Inn & Suites University, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Dear Guest,

All of us here at the Best Western Plus Blue Ridge Plaza sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations during your visit to our hotel. We value your feedback and we will work harder to make sure that these problems do not occur again. We are already ordering extra breakfast items to insure that we do not run low during breakfast hours anymore. Again we apologize and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Rooms are very clean and comfortable. Lounge offers free wifi, a fireplace, and comfortable seating for groups. Staff is very friendly and helpful. We had the king suite room with fireplace and jaccuzi style tub (which is in the living part of room - bit strange but it works). Could use some TV updating - still has the big clunky old style.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Janet P
Sonya N, Front Office Manager at Quality Inn & Suites University, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We really appreciate your feedback and we are so happy that you enjoyed your stay. We are in the process now of upgrading all of our TVs. Again thank you, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!!

Reviewed May 10, 2013

We have stayed here four times in the last year, and this visit was quite a disappointment. My other reviews will recount the good stuff on previous stays, so here is what turned us off this time:

We discovered the fireplace in our room didn't work and since we'd arrived very late, we were told a repairperson would fix it the next day...not a huge deal. Unfortunately, the repairperson knocked on our door at 8am the next morning to fix it! Supposedly it was fixed later in the day, but it didn't work the next night when we tried to use it.

Breakfast on our first morning was lacking. Typically there are hot offerings. This time there was nothing but waffles (yes, they are hot, but...), toasts, cornflakes, and sweet rolls till at some point someone added a few Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches (seriously, like a total of four of them for a breakfast area full of people). No yogurts, no cereal varieties, no fruit, no black tea (only herbals). The next morning was even more lacking: no breakfast sandwiches at all. I had bought my own tea, so I could have black tea, but the hot water tasted like coffee. I can only imagine it tasted worse with the lighter-flavored herbal teas. Please don't ever put coffee in the urn used for tea water-yuck!

Maybe because of these hiccups, the fact that the TV picture was really awful and cigarette ashes COVERED the table out on the pretty front porch seating area added to my dissatisfaction.

In addition, while the late night desk clerk (when we checked in) was very pleasant and helpful, the other staff at the desk and the breakfast area didn't seem to care.

Yes, our room was spacious, very clean and quiet, and our bed was comfortable. I guess I just have come to expect better of this hotel.

Room Tip: Higher up is quieter. North-facing rooms can have a pretty view. South-facing are probably quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank summercamper
Sonya N, Front Office Manager at Quality Inn & Suites University, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2013

Dear Guest,

We sincerely apologize for the experience you received with our hotel. Your experience is being discussed with our team to insure that this will not occur again in the future. These types of experiences do not happen often and we do everything we can to make sure that a similar situation does not occur again. Thank You for taking to the time to rate our property, we value any and all feedback.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

One word to describe our experience here...WOW! We had been driving all day in the horrible heavy rain and just couldn't drive any further. I got on my smartphone, got an AMAZING deal on a hotel room here (about $55....you gotta shop around for sure!), and headed to our room. We were both so exhausted that we really didn't care what the room was like but when we opened the door to the room, my husbands jaw hit the floor. He turned around and asked me, "Did you get the honeymoon suite?" I had no idea what he was talking about until I walked into the room.

Instead of a standard room, we had a room with MANY extras. We had the standard king bed, but next to it was a heart shaped jacuzzi tub. The room also had a small dinette set, a couch, side chair, fireplace, microwave oven, and a fridge! All this for a few pennies shy of $55!!! That is unheard of these days but we couldn't have been more pleased.

The breakfast was awesome too. We will definitely stay here again if the opportunity presents itself.

Room Tip: Be REALLY nice at check in. The attendant told us that the reason she upgraded our room was because...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank momtomitchell
Sonya N, Front Office Manager at Quality Inn & Suites University, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Dear Guest,

We are so pleased to hear that you were so satisfied with your room while staying here with us at the Best Western Plus Blue Ridge Plaza. We all work really hard to make sure our guests stay happy and enjoy their stay. Again thank you and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Beware! Hotel clerk not upfront with rates. Big Business taking advantage of customers. We added 2nd night after arrival. 1st night $71, 2nd night $161! Did not realize this until we got home since clerk did not mention it. Room not worth it. Clerk saw rate for 2nd night was more than twice rate for 1st night but did not tell us. Yes, we should have asked but we're trusting honest people. Problems: inside deadbolt not working right, TV + loud Jacuzzi noise from next rm, no desk, hair in shower, poor quality towels. Slept well but bed is hard. We liked this place the 1st time we were there but will not return.

Room Tip: Very large room but no desk. View is better on front/road side. Be aware if you don't want to he...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MDinNC

Dear Guest,

We apologize for the experience that you had while visiting our hotel. We try really hard to ensure that every one of our guests enjoy their visits with us. Our front desk staff strive to make our guests aware of rate changes and that our weekday and weekend rates vary from week to week. As for the problems in your rooms, I will speak with maintenance and housekeeping to ensure that they do not happen again in the future.