“Perfect for Snowboarding Trip”

Quality Inn & Suites University
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Boone
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 9, 2012

This hotel is a great choice for budget conscious vacationers. We went into Boone (Jan 1-6-staying an extra night) for our second time(previously had stayed in Super 8) and stayed with this hotel. The staff are very friendly and resourceful. The hotel is up on a mountainside, so you get a wonderful view of the surrounding mountains. The hotel room was spacious and clean. The bathroom was big and clean. Hot water every time. The heater/air conditioner unit warmed us up quickly.
There is a continental breakfast. Breakfast sandwiches, yogurt, waffles, bagels, coffee, tea, cocoa oatmeal, cereal. Just to name the majority. Plenty of parking spots. Very close to Appalachian Mountain. Indoor pool.

I would like to mention that we unfortunately were just getting over being sick while on our vacation and had to stay at the hotel for the majority of our trip, only having being able to go out twice for the week. The beds are super comfy and we spent most of our time in the hotel room relaxing. The view from our room was remarkable and we would stop just to look outside. Ask for room 326. The awning is right outside but cannot be seen when laying down; and the mountain view from the bed is wonderful.

Since we were sick, we had asked the reception desk if they had Dayquil/Nightquil(since they have some medicine in stock) and they unfortunately did not. However there is a store conveniently across the street that is open until 1AM. We got our medicine there.

Room Tip: Our room was 326. The awning is below the room but you cannot see it if laying down on the second be...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Danceswithsidhe
Sonya N, Front Office Manager at Quality Inn & Suites University, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review on our property. We really appreciate all of your kind words as we work really hard to exceed our guests expectations. Again thank you and we look foward to seeing you again soon.

Sincerely
Natasha Taylor
Front Desk Manager
Best Western Plus Blue Ridge Plaza

Reviewed January 7, 2012

We stayed at this Hotel for only one night, on December 23rd., in our way to spend Christmas night with our son and his family. First time in Boone, we were well impresed by Boone and its surroundings. This is a very nice Hotel at Boone. We recommend Boone and this Hotel. Nicely located on top of a Hill, they gave as a room on the third fllor overlooking a Plaza Mall with mountains on the back, very nice view. The reception was very nice, the personnel very kind and colaborative. We had breakfast in a nice place with a fireplace and conversation area with arm chairs and a sofa. The breakfast was adecuate.
It is a pity that we did not stayed longer to enjoy more Boone and this hotel, but for sure we will come back soon.

Room Tip: Rooms with front view
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dgaspar

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your response. We take every guests response into consideration because that is how we get our feedback on how to improve our hotel. I am so happy that you had a great experience here with us and we look foward to your next visit.

Sincerely
Natasha Taylor
Front Desk Manager
Best Western Plus Blue Ridge Plaza

Reviewed December 21, 2011

Me and a couple buddies came up to Sugar Mountain North Carolina to go skiing and snow boarding for a few days and decided to stay in a hotel instead of a cabin. The room was average size and had a small coffee maker but no fridge or microwave but it fit what us guys needed. The people were nice and the inhouse restaurant was also an added plus and had somewhat reasonable prices for a couple of college guys.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Toby C
Reviewed December 20, 2011

Value for money is the keyword here: this is a surprisingly good hotel for the low rate we paid. Rooms were clean and comfortable, and the staff helpful and friendly. The only negative is the breakfast, which is as predictable as any other chain hotel's in America: the standard cereal; small, once-frozen-and-therefore-dry bran muffins; tired English muffins and the like, but there's no reason to reject this hotel because of that. It's a little hard to find with the entrance only accessible from other businesses rather than the road, but still well worth the stay.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank LordPercyPercy
Reviewed December 15, 2011

First, finding the hotel is a bit difficult as you pass it up on a hill if you are driving down the main thoroughfare. The hotel sent me a nice follow up e-mail pointing out all the signage. There is a great deal of construction on the main road so perhaps it won't be an issue when you visit.

The good points were the service. Really lovely people working at the hotel. The rooms were clean and adequately appointed. The lobby was festively decorated for Christmas. We opted to eat at the Dan'el Boone Inn for breakfast but we could see that they had plenty of seating and the usual breakfast fare. The walls were a bit thin. I could hear the upstairs people in the bathroom and some noise outside in the hall or the parking lot. But by 10:30 or 11:00 the hotel was completely quiet so I don't think noise would be a problem. The problem was the bed. It was so firm that I could not sleep. If I had had some strong pain killers I may have been able to sleep through the night but I didn't. About 1:00 in the morning I got up and went to the lobby to read so I wouldn't disturb my family. The first words out of my 7 year olds mouth in the morning was "this bed was so hard and uncomfortable I couldn't sleep". My daughter and husband thought the beds were fine and had no complaints. So it was 50/50 for us. I guess I like a softer mattress. If you like a firm mattress or don't generally have any complaints when sleeping on hotel beds it might be okay for you. I really feel bad rating it this low because the staff was so helpful.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Dragonmom I
Reviewed December 14, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here on a little mini vacation to sugar mountain to snow board. It was amazing. SUPER CLEAN!!! The staff was extremely helpful and everything is so nice and pretty. Great view of the mountain, great continental breakfast in the morning. Pool and game room. We had a blast here, i truly loved this hotel, i'll be staying here when i go back.

Room Tip: It's $10 extra bucks to get a room with a fire place, and its worth it. The room is way biggest...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sublime305407
Reviewed December 7, 2011

I stayed here overnight for business, and it was a really good rate at $60 after tax, which was nice for a Best Western Plus hotel. I did notice that the hotel was pet friendly, which didn't bother me I only noticed it when I saw someone walking their dog in the lobby. The room was really nice and comfortable, and had a nice flat screen TV. The lobby was big and had a nice fireplace, and the breakfast in the morning was really nice and had a lot of options available. Overall a real nice place to stay, couldn't beat the deal I got there.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business