“Chicken and waffles in a Firmer Prison!”
Review of Proper

Proper
Ranked #15 of 148 Restaurants in Boone
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Proper is a Southern bistro-style restaurant located in downtown Boone NC. We offer carefully prepared fresh food in a comfortable and relaxed setting. Most everything we serve is made from scratch, in-house, and what we do not make ourselves is all natural and preservative free. All of our desserts are made in-house as well. Our best sellers are fried chicken, collard greens, and mac 'n' cheese, and chocolate pecan pie, but we have much more to offer. Come see us and find out for yourself.
Whitetop, Virginia
“Chicken and waffles in a Firmer Prison!”
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Proper is housed in the former Boone Prison; a two-story, wide-planked floor, historic building. And that's just the start of a wonderful dining experience. When we went to lunch today, I was excited to see Chicken and Waffles on the menu. I'd enjoyed this treat once before at Sunday brunch. The chicken is a perfectly fried, boneless, JUICY breast and the waffle is light and fluffy. It was to be served with mushroom gravy, but a request brought me syrup instead !
The restaurant is quite small and the line can be long, but it's worth the wait . . . for fabulous food in a former prison.

• Visited December 2013

“Properly overrated”
Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

First of all, that is not the restaurant in the photo. Not sure what that is.. Proper has such potential! Unfortunately, their service is sometimes lackluster and their food is always hit or miss. I have certainly had things that I've enjoyed in my 15+ visits, but also things that I've left sitting on the plate. The prices are good and the location is lovely and quaint (if you can get a seat). They specialize in a fresher version of country cooking, which I appreciate, but it seems like they are always running out of things. I like the biscuit with honey, Migas, quiche, collards. But not a fan of their fried chicken (probably their best seller). It's worth a shot.. But know that you might miss.

Blowing Rock, North Carolina
“A hidden gem...”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

I enjoy Proper for their fresh foods without additives that other restaurants rely on to enhance taste. I'm impressed with their cost effectiveness -- prices are very reasonable. And, as a "local," I know to get there early to beat the crowd!

• Visited August 2013
Boone NC
“Great place, decent service”
Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

I've been here many times and have never had a bad meal. Everything always tastes great and the atmosphere is cozy. Service can be hit or miss but their prices and food quality are unmatched in the area

• Visited October 2013
Wichita Falls, Texas
“Wheres the service?”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Food was awesome. Service was terrible. I even tried calling after we left to complain but I think I got our waiter on the phone so nothing ever came of it. He said he was thre manager. When dining there he argued with us about splitting checks and challenged our thoughts about the beer and wine selection. Even continuedtried as weto were ealkinglooking out theto door! During the meal he was prancing around all over the place talking loud and barreling through the curtains like some kind of stage act. It was a nightmare and I hope their manager reads this!

• Visited October 2013