“Fantastic!”

Proper
Ranked #17 of 152 Restaurants in Boone
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Proper is a Southern bistro-style restaurant located in downtown Boone NC. We offer carefully prepared fresh food in a comfortable and relaxed setting. Most everything we serve is made from scratch, in-house, and what we do not make ourselves is all natural and preservative free. All of our desserts are made in-house as well. Our best sellers are fried chicken, collard greens, and mac 'n' cheese, and chocolate pecan pie, but we have much more to offer. Come see us and find out for yourself.
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stop by every time we are in Boone. This place is phenomenal. Everything is homemade from the catchup to the salad dressings. The service was fantastic and the food was even better. We have never been disappointed other than the fact that you will have to wait if you get there and during prime time. It's definitely worth it. I can't say enough good things about this restaurant.

There are newer reviews for Proper

Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

I have nothing bad to say about Proper. I loved where it's placed, in a historic building that was a jail in the 1800's. All of the staff was helpful, quick to refill your drink, and took the time to answer questions. The food was fantastic, I had the special which was a London broil. Others had the meat loaf sandwich with various sides. Not one of us were disappointed with the food. Yes, portions are a bit small, but the quality and taste of food makes up for it, and it is a filling meal. I would recommend this to anyone.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

Read outstanding reviews for last three years, my son & daughter-in-law ate there last week and insisted that we than go. SOOO disappointed. A TINY piece of fried chicken, stale and dry cornbread, vegetables tasteless, and peach cobbler lacked taste, not a lot of fruit, more crust and that not great at best. Waitress was pleasant. We went at five pm and it wasn't crowded, but obviously the food must have been left over from lunch or worse. They need to get their act back together...stale, dry cornbread!

Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stopped here for a late lunch around 1:00 p.m and were able to eat in the garden which we really enjoyed. I had a vegetable plate of collards, butter beans, mac and cheese and cornbread and my husband ordered the tomato pie with a side salad and hush puppies. Portions were generous, food very good, and service was excellent. We were fascinated to learn that the restaurant is in Boone's old jail building. Great location downtown.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

I'm sorry to say this after hearing so many great things about this restaurant. We were very disappointed. The food was edible but not really very good. I gave most of mine away. Our waitress was attentive but not exactly friendly. When asked what the soup of the day was, she informed us that it was on the board at the door? There are no diet sodas or aritificial sweeteners available for tea and coffee. One person at our table was diabetic and wanted something cold (it was very hot inside) and caffeinated to get rid of a headache. I understand the "purist" mentality but there should be at least one option available for people with dietary restrictions. With all the other incredible options available in town, we won't be back to this one.