“Charming, intimate, friendly and tasty!”
Review of Proper

Proper
Ranked #16 of 152 Restaurants in Boone
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Proper is a Southern bistro-style restaurant located in downtown Boone NC. We offer carefully prepared fresh food in a comfortable and relaxed setting. Most everything we serve is made from scratch, in-house, and what we do not make ourselves is all natural and preservative free. All of our desserts are made in-house as well. Our best sellers are fried chicken, collard greens, and mac 'n' cheese, and chocolate pecan pie, but we have much more to offer. Come see us and find out for yourself.
Reviewed July 20, 2013

A tiny, understated location occupying the Old Boone Jail serving a somewhat limited menu, Proper is worthy of your visit. Nothing even close to fancy here, with the seating made up of a hodge-podge of barstools and director's chairs crammed wherever they will fit in this unique spot. A bohemian college-age staff efficiently serves a southern comfort food menu of meatloaf, crab cakes, fried chicken, pulled pork and whatever else is offered on that particular night, with a consistent array of sides including delicious mashed potatoes, cukes and onions, butter beans, mac & cheese, hushpuppies and more. Loved my little biscuit. Skip the fried green tomatoes, the evening's only disappointment. Crab cake was superb, served with a homemade remoulade with shallots and other goodies. An excellent chocolate bread pudding (and a few bites of my son's outstanding key lime pie and it's sweet, crisp crust) ended an evening where my tea glass was kept full and the atmosphere lent to a fun, memorable evening with family and friends.

There are newer reviews for Proper

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Our little group of six enjoyed dining at Proper, which was originally the old Boone jail. Loved the menu with loads of fresh veggie sides. I had meatloaf, excellent, mashed potatoes & gravy, excellent and the best fresh cooked collard greens ever!!!! I think they were cooked with apple cider vinegar!!! I would have been satisfied with just the greens and the cornbread!!!!

Reviewed July 13, 2013

My husband and I went here 2 weeks ago for Sat lunch. Had high expectations based on TA reviews and a friend's recommendation. We got there about noon, and had we been 15 min later, we would've had to wait. Place fills up fast since it's so small. There is seating on the lawn, the front porch, and a few tables inside. We chose to sit on the covered, somewhat enclosed front porch. We had a server who was very enthusiastic and friendly when going over the specials and taking our drink order. But after we got our meal, we rarely saw him. We both ordered the lunch special which was a fried chicken breast with gravy atop potato cakes. Gravy was not very good. Potato cakes tasted nothing like potatoes and were the consistency of pancakes....they actually tasted like pancakes. My chicken breast was fried perfectly, but my husband's was way overcooked. Also, server brought our salads out AFTER he brought our meal. Guess he forgot since he said things were hectic in the kitchen. Still, this is pretty bad. As mentioned earlier, we rarely saw him after that. Ran out of tea twice. Had considered ordering dessert, but the meal had taken so long at this point that we were ready to leave. If we go there again, I think we'll order something a little simpler, maybe something that's always on the menu. Maybe we'll have better luck.

1  Thank she23
Reviewed July 11, 2013

My family and I are here on vacation from the coast. I had the pimento cheese sandwich with butter beans as a side. Both were amazing. The butter beans were just like my mother makes them (extra buttery!) and everyone at the table agreed that their meal was very very good. They serve their drinks in mason jars, and the restaurant itself is so cute. We will definitely try to come back in the future!

1  Thank HeartSunshine11
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Our visit to Proper for Sunday Brunch was fantastic. I ordered Waffles and Chicken - with a side of home fries. 2 members of my party got Migas with Pulled Pork, and the other two members of my party got the special - which was amazing: a waffle with chicken topped by sliced strawberries, blueberries, whipped cream, and chocolate.

My waffle was hot and fluffy - and the boneless chicken breast was fried perfectly. It was delicious. We swapped bites around - and every choice was superb. The eatery's vibe was very laid-back and retro (and the building was an old house) - and likewise, the wait staff was laid-back, but very enthusiastic.

This was undoubtedly the best "brunch" I've ever tasted. I like the one up at Peaks of Otter Lodge (Bedford, VA) - but I must say that Proper tops it. Expect an earthly eclectic vibe - but also expect a delicious dining experience. I highly recommend.

1  Thank Ed M