“Best kept secret in Boone”
Review of Proper

Proper
Ranked #14 of 150 Restaurants in Boone
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Proper is a Southern bistro-style restaurant located in downtown Boone NC. We offer carefully prepared fresh food in a comfortable and relaxed setting. Most everything we serve is made from scratch, in-house, and what we do not make ourselves is all natural and preservative free. All of our desserts are made in-house as well. Our best sellers are fried chicken, collard greens, and mac 'n' cheese, and chocolate pecan pie, but we have much more to offer. Come see us and find out for yourself.
Florida
“Best kept secret in Boone”
Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

Great upscale Southern cooking, knowledgeable staff, reasonable prices.
Located in the old jail building. Only 4 parking spots along side of building, but you can always park somewhere else and enjoy walking around enjoying the many unique shops in Boone after lunch or dinner.

Portland, Oregon
“Tasty, home-cooked to order... and good service, too...”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

One of my favorites in Boone, NC. Southern-themed soups, salads, veggies, sandwiches and main dishes like fried chicken or catfish, meatloaf, and pulled pork are menu staples. Daily specials add variety. My favorite is the veggie plate with cornbread -- I love the collards, the sweet potato cassarole, the salad, the mac 'n cheese, and the desserts. Service is attentive but slow during the busiest lunch and dinner hours so allow plenty of time. Remember that all meals are cooked to order. Parking is limited. During the summer months, outdoor seating is an option. A wonderful alternative to food chains, as all this wonderful food is prepared onsite and is quite fresh and delicious.

• Visited February 2013
newark, ohio
“Absolute best bang for your buck!!!”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I loved the food, loved the service and I loved the portions. I ordered the fried chicken(my son's recommendation), the collard greens and the mixed salad with a balsamic dressing. Every bite was delightful and the price for this wonderful meal is $9.99 Oh I forgot, you get a biscuit or cornbread. I must admit, the cornbread was a little dry but heh, the rest was super. Went twice in our four day stay. Will definitely make this a "must stop" on our return trips to Boone. After I found out there was a connection between Proper and Melanie's, I was not surprised at all. We always go to Melanie's when we visit Boone. Thank you.

• Visited February 2013
“Proper is the right name.”
Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

Great food at reasonable prices in a homy location. Follow the locals as they know best. Parking is a little inconvenient but the experience is worthwhile.

Boone, North Carolina
“Proper comfort food”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Yes, it is hard to find a parking spot close by and it is a little small (but cozy) inside. Proper seems to be very popular for dinner, so I mainly visit during off hours 2-5pm for lunch. The food is good comfort food like your grandmother used to make. Each day they have a different selection of plates, soup, sandwiches, & specials. A lunch plate with 2 sides is 7.95 (think meatloaf, turkey, pulled pork etc.) with glazed carrots, mashed potatoes, salad, etc. as side options. Leave room for dessert. I love the chocolate pecan pie, warmed with vanilla ice cream on top. So good!!!

• Visited December 2012