“Comfort Foods at their Tastiest”
Review of Proper

Proper
Ranked #18 of 151 Restaurants in Boone
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Proper is a Southern bistro-style restaurant located in downtown Boone NC. We offer carefully prepared fresh food in a comfortable and relaxed setting. Most everything we serve is made from scratch, in-house, and what we do not make ourselves is all natural and preservative free. All of our desserts are made in-house as well. Our best sellers are fried chicken, collard greens, and mac 'n' cheese, and chocolate pecan pie, but we have much more to offer. Come see us and find out for yourself.
Orlando, Florida
“Comfort Foods at their Tastiest”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

It was a chilly night, and the scent of wood smoke was in the air as we sat down at Boone's upscale version of a country kitchen diner. This restaurant knows what it does best and doesn't try to be all things to all people. Each night of the week there are blue plate specials. The Wednesday options included meatloaf, pulled pork, fried chicken, fried catfish, and baked ziti. Though they all sounded delicious, we chose the special of the night -- slices of perfectly fried chicken breast served over dirty rice and topped with a light sundried tomato bechamel sauce. It was fabulous -- tasty and artful without being overly rich. The comforting sides included not only the expected mac & cheese and mashed potatoes, but also some less common items like braised cabbage, pickled beets, sweet potato casserole and collard greens. Fresh cornbread and biscuits accompanied the meal, and tea served in mason jar glasses added to the charm. But the best was yet to come. We were too stuffed to eat dessert while we were there (even though the dessert case was tempting me throughout the meal), but I ordered the chocolate chip bread pudding to go. The next morning, a 30-second zap in the microwave, and I was in heaven. I don't know if they made their pudding with biscuits instead of bread, but there was a delicate layering that was fabulous...it was incredibly delicious without that heavy feeling that sometimes befalls bread pudding. I would love to visit this place again...maybe get the plate of sides (your can order a combo of 3 or 4), since I didn't get to sample as many as I might have liked. And next time, I'll make sure that I leave room for dessert!

2 Thank Livingwatergirl

Apex, North Carolina
“Liked it--cozy and original”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Good standard fare with some fancy additions. Try the fried chicken (near perfect), mac and cheese, and any of the vegetables. Good beer choices. Interesting pasta choice was ziti with squash. Come prepared to wait, it's small and was very busy on a Friday night. The desserts in the cooler looked great, too bad we were too full to try any!

Portland, Oregon
“Actually, it's between 'Average' and 'Very good.'”
Reviewed October 13, 2011

Proper struggled when they first opened but time has improved the service and the menu. Food is prepared on-site and you may have to wait, so not a good choice if you are on schedule for an event. Popular specials sell out by 6pm. The quality is somewhat spotty--some dishes are really excellent (sweet potato casserole, collards, cornbread) and some are so-so. Soups are always excellent. My fried chicken was dry, very dry. My spouse had fried catfish which was pronounced very good. The sweet potato pie had a crust that was not fully baked but the filling was quite good. Reasonably priced, usually crowded with students. Very nice to sit outside in good weather. Overall, a decent value. I'd go again.

Oak Island, North Carolina
“Great Food at Proper Restaurant”
Reviewed October 13, 2011

We went for dinner because of all the good tripadvisor reviews and we were not disappointed. When we got there the small parking area in front was full, but we were lucky enough to find one spot in the back of the restaurant to park. I agree with everyone else about the food, it was wonderful, but just three minor negatives.
1. Like other people have said, they make the food ahead of time, and when it's gone, it's gone. If you were to have a craving for meatloaf or fried chicken and it has run out, then you're just out of luck.
2. No Coke, Pepsi, or Diet coke! Our waitress said they had Root Beer and Dr. Pepper. How can they have Dr. Pepper but no Coke? It was OK though, cause I drank water, which was better for me anyway.
3. As I said at first, the parking. I'm not sure where we would have parked if we hadn't found the spot in the back.
Now the positive. The food is great. It is all made from scratch and delicious. And the prices were very reasonable. We highly recommend Proper and suggest you check it out for yourself when you find yourself in Boone..

1 Thank Dan_N_NC
“Very satisfying!”
Reviewed October 12, 2011

We almost missed this wonderful restaurant and so glad we didn't. The food was so fresh. We loved the southern style. I wish we were staying another night as we would return.