“Very surprised by our finds!”

Foggy Mountain Gem Mine
Ranked #1 of 48 things to do in Boone
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Foggy Mountain Gem Mine has been family owned and operated for generations. We are located in the mountain community of Boone, which is in the beautiful High Country of North Carolina. We are the choice Gem Mine in our area because of the experience that is offered our guests by our knowledgeable staff, and because we offer buckets of the finest gem ore from the best gem mines in the world. You are invited to come and satisfy your craving for a gem mine adventure and experience the thrill of discovery as you pan for gems. Just like miners from the old days, you will sift through dirt and rock using water flumes to find your treasures in the safety and comfort of our year round location on Hwy 105 in Boone. Regardless of the weather, you can search for gems since we have both outside and inside flumes. Each bucket of our gem stone mix contains genuine rough gems. We guarantee a gem find every time.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I was very skeptical before we went, but thought that it was going to be something fun for the kids (who are 3 and 1 years old). I really thought we'd be lucky to find some tiger's eye or some quartz. We went ahead and got the 5 gallon Big Daddy bucket, which got us a free gallon for the price and a free agate cutting, but also found a coupon in one of the advertisements in Boone! Was I ever surprised to find Topaz, Citrine, a nice sized Ruby, and a couple of Emeralds! We left with an entire bag full of gems that are big enough to be cut, a few that are HUGE! We also have another bag of gems that are too small to be cut, but I can't wait to get home and polish them so we can start a nice collection for the kids! The kids had so much fun and the staff was incredibly knowledgeable! I definitely recommend coming here and getting the 5 gallon bucket!!

Reviewed August 7, 2013

Nice staff and well kept for a gem mine...value was OK. Last time we got the kids a stone each cut. I would recommend this place.

1  Thank tpwingo
Reviewed August 5, 2013

What really set this place apart from the other place we had visited before (and intended on going to again, but it was closed on Sundays) was the customer service. The people working this place actually seemed to care that you were there and didn't try to herd you in and herd you out. It was nice to be able to take our time and enjoy rummaging through rocks and gems. Sure, the buckets are "salted", but you know what? Who cares! There were 4 of us and we got the :"motherlode" bucket, and we had a great time here - well, my wife and I did, as well as my 14 year-old daughter's friend. My daughter lost interest after about 10 minutes. Also, it was nice that they go behind you and check the "dump buckets" for items that may have been missed. Much appreciated!

The only thing bad is the location. The parking lot is small and it is ill-advised to part face-first into some spaces because you'll have to back into the highway to get out. That aside, it's a worthwhile experience...one we will probably do again our next visit to Boone.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Stopped in here while visiting Blowing Rock. The gravel you are going to sift through has been obviously added to with the gems. You are guaranteed to get some gems, but nothing to get too excited about. The employees are very helpful and take the time to explain all the gems that you find. Fun for the younger kids under 12. Not too expensive to spend an hour of your time.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

A bit noisy but we did find a perfect 6.5 CT Sapphire after cut :) My birthstone so I could deal with the traffic