“My go-to place to stay in Boone.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Boone
Honey Bear Campground
Reviewed May 30, 2012

I have stayed at Honey Bear many times. We stumbled upon it accidentally when the park campground we planned to stay in wasn't open. Since then it has been my go-to place to stay when visiting Boone. I have had nothing but positive experiences at the campground. The folks in the office are always very friendly and accomodating. The bath house is always clean and much nicer than any I have come across at State/National park campgrounds. Each tent site has a picnic table and fire ring. Some sites are a little smaller than others, but the office staff have always been great about getting me set up with a site that will accomodate our gear and vehicle when I call to reserve by phone. They also provide pictures of each site on their website.
The campground is very close to downtown (maybe 5-7 minutes away). There are lots of good options for hiking and mountain biking nearby as well.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank 4evrnblujns

Reviewed May 26, 2012

We had booked Honey Bear for Memorial Day weekend a site described on their website as a 50 by 24 foot site. Since we have a 30 foot camper we presumed that would be perfect for us.

Upon arrival we went to register, the person checking us in looked at the camper and said I hope this isn't your first time backing in, the site is really tight - do you have 4 wheel drive.

We drove up a narrow steep winding incline to get to the loop our site was on and then proceeded to slide by the site that had we been able to stop even the most skilled driver would have struggled to get onto it.

Their only saving grace was that they did give us a full refund. We were only out 2 tanks of gas and a wasted weekend.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 15, 2011

I chose this place from the good Trip Advisor reviews and was not disappointed. Had a terrific experience! You can't go wrong here!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 29, 2011

We have stayed at the Honey Bear Campground in Boone every May for the last three years. It is a fantastic campground. The owner is very nice, and she does a lot of work to keep the campground maintained. The sites are private and quiet -- you do not feel as though you are on top of your neighbors. Also very nice and clean hot showers/bathrooms. There is internet access. It sometimes reached our campsite, but for the most part we needed to walk near office to get it. The campground is also in a great location -- close to town, but far enough away that you feel that you are in the woods. Its a beautiful road to get to the campsite (the road is not hard to navigate). The blue ridge parkway is about five miles away. If you are looking for quiet get away, or are traveling with a family, this is a great campground.

Room Tip: They will let you drive around and choose a site.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2011

We just got back from a camping trip to Honey Bear Campground in Boone, North Carolina after staying there last year and deciding to return again this year. We have a 10 X 14 rectangular 2 room tent and go camping in it with my 4 year old and 16 year old children as well as with my wife. It seems when we go to Honeybear, we have a great time and the customer service there is unmatched. This year I started booking our tent site (C19) the day before we left to go (not advised, if you go on a hoilday weekend, however, this weekend was not). We stayed at C19 last year and it seemed to accomodate our tent very well, so we wanted the same site this year. I saw online it had not been reserved so I called to book the site, then realized my wife had the credit card. When I called, they were apparently busy and the answering machine answered. I left a message stating I wanted the site but had to wait until I could get the credit card information and asked them to return my call. I got busy and then realized around 9PM, I had not heard back from the campground, nor had I reserved our site. When I got up the next morning (the day we were to leave) I noticed over the internet our site had been booked. Upon calling the campground, it was learned that the Campground owners had apparently put the reservation in their name until I could be reached to actually book the site in our name. This kept anyone from getting the site before me. For this, I am so grateful.

As usual, when we arrived at Honeybear, we were greeted with a warm smile and staff that actually appreciate the fact you are there. As promised, our site was waiting on us and we proceded to the site and set up camp for a great weekend.

Despite some reviews you may have read here, this campground is excellent and customer service here is above par. The grounds are kept very clean and the bathhouses are very clean with great hot showers each closed off with a shower curtain and it's own self-contained privacy dressing area. They have a large Gameroom for the kids and adults with Ping-Pong and Pool tables as well as multiple video games. They have various swings set up throughout the campground to sit on a listen to the sounds and just relax. A creek runs through the campground and children can be seen building dams with the river rocks or hunting salamanders and crawdads. There is also a fishing pond, and if you do not have equipment, they will loan you some for $5.00. They have everything from primitive camping sites along the river, to wooded full hookups that can accomodate large travel trailers and RVs.

Overall, this campground ranks high on my list. Flintlock campground is down the road, but as we past, the sites all look crammed together and did not look inviting.

Some reviews ranked Honeybear Campground low because Honeybear does not have a swimming pool. Seriously! If you want a swimming pool, stay in a hotel or go to the beach or take your chances here a try wading in the creek hunting salamanders and crawdads - you might actually enjoy this better than a chemical ridden swimming pool.

Room Tip: Book in advance
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank jimmybaby2
Reviewed May 9, 2011

We're not experienced campers, but thought this was a nice campground. We were tent camping and the campground was about half-full. There's a pretty stream running through the property, and lots for the kids to do. The bath house was always clean, and the people who worked there were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 1, 2011

If you're looking for a simple, cozy cabin with minimal amenities, the small cabin at site 8 at A Honey Bear is the place for you. They have made excellent use of the small space. The location is wonderful, being on a beautiful mountain stream with perfect rocks for sitting out in the morning drinking coffee and listening to the rushing sound of the water. The way the cabin is situated is relatively private. The cabin had heating but no AC. The only thing we would change would be adding a screen on the front-door window. If you care about TV, the flat-screen is small but good. The front-desk people were helpful and friendly. Remember to say "Hi" to Edie (sp?) and Pepper. Perfect for a weekend getaway in the mountains. Be sure to bring your own linens and towels if you'd rather not rent them. We'll definitely be back!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank gemtrotter
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boone
Super 8 Boone NC
Super 8 Boone NC
#10 of 18 in Boone
Hampton Inn & Suites Boone
Baymont Inn & Suites Boone Near APP State
Holiday Inn Express Blowing Rock South
Quality Inn & Suites University
Fairfield Inn & Suites Boone

Been to Honey Bear Campground? Share your experiences!