“Honeybear Campground is great!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Boone
Honey Bear Campground
North Carolina
“Honeybear Campground is great!”
Reviewed May 22, 2011

We just got back from a camping trip to Honey Bear Campground in Boone, North Carolina after staying there last year and deciding to return again this year. We have a 10 X 14 rectangular 2 room tent and go camping in it with my 4 year old and 16 year old children as well as with my wife. It seems when we go to Honeybear, we have a great time and the customer service there is unmatched. This year I started booking our tent site (C19) the day before we left to go (not advised, if you go on a hoilday weekend, however, this weekend was not). We stayed at C19 last year and it seemed to accomodate our tent very well, so we wanted the same site this year. I saw online it had not been reserved so I called to book the site, then realized my wife had the credit card. When I called, they were apparently busy and the answering machine answered. I left a message stating I wanted the site but had to wait until I could get the credit card information and asked them to return my call. I got busy and then realized around 9PM, I had not heard back from the campground, nor had I reserved our site. When I got up the next morning (the day we were to leave) I noticed over the internet our site had been booked. Upon calling the campground, it was learned that the Campground owners had apparently put the reservation in their name until I could be reached to actually book the site in our name. This kept anyone from getting the site before me. For this, I am so grateful.

As usual, when we arrived at Honeybear, we were greeted with a warm smile and staff that actually appreciate the fact you are there. As promised, our site was waiting on us and we proceded to the site and set up camp for a great weekend.

Despite some reviews you may have read here, this campground is excellent and customer service here is above par. The grounds are kept very clean and the bathhouses are very clean with great hot showers each closed off with a shower curtain and it's own self-contained privacy dressing area. They have a large Gameroom for the kids and adults with Ping-Pong and Pool tables as well as multiple video games. They have various swings set up throughout the campground to sit on a listen to the sounds and just relax. A creek runs through the campground and children can be seen building dams with the river rocks or hunting salamanders and crawdads. There is also a fishing pond, and if you do not have equipment, they will loan you some for $5.00. They have everything from primitive camping sites along the river, to wooded full hookups that can accomodate large travel trailers and RVs.

Overall, this campground ranks high on my list. Flintlock campground is down the road, but as we past, the sites all look crammed together and did not look inviting.

Some reviews ranked Honeybear Campground low because Honeybear does not have a swimming pool. Seriously! If you want a swimming pool, stay in a hotel or go to the beach or take your chances here a try wading in the creek hunting salamanders and crawdads - you might actually enjoy this better than a chemical ridden swimming pool.

Room Tip: Book in advance
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank jimmybaby2

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Northern Virginia
Reviewed May 9, 2011

We're not experienced campers, but thought this was a nice campground. We were tent camping and the campground was about half-full. There's a pretty stream running through the property, and lots for the kids to do. The bath house was always clean, and the people who worked there were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
north carolina
Reviewed March 1, 2011

If you're looking for a simple, cozy cabin with minimal amenities, the small cabin at site 8 at A Honey Bear is the place for you. They have made excellent use of the small space. The location is wonderful, being on a beautiful mountain stream with perfect rocks for sitting out in the morning drinking coffee and listening to the rushing sound of the water. The way the cabin is situated is relatively private. The cabin had heating but no AC. The only thing we would change would be adding a screen on the front-door window. If you care about TV, the flat-screen is small but good. The front-desk people were helpful and friendly. Remember to say "Hi" to Edie (sp?) and Pepper. Perfect for a weekend getaway in the mountains. Be sure to bring your own linens and towels if you'd rather not rent them. We'll definitely be back!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends