“Perfectly cooked Salmon, need I say more?”
Review of Char - CLOSED

Char
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Char -a Spacious, Unique Contemporary Bistro in Downtown Boone, serving Modern American Cuisine including Fried Calamari, Crab Bisque, Black & Bleu Salad, Turkey & Brie Sandwich, Fish & Chips, Burgers, Fish Tacos, Shrimp & Grits and Angus Steaks- char grilled to perfection. Covered Deck, 2 Stylish indoor dining areas and a Sleek Modern Bar featuring 5 flat-screen TVs. Nightly entertainment. GLUTEN-FREE & VEGETARIAN Friendly. Upscale Cuisine -Casual Prices. Margarita Mondays: $.35 Wings. $4 Margaritas.Mar'Tini Tuesdays: 1/2 priced selected Martinis & $6 Pizza & a Pint. Wine Down Wednesdays: 1/2 priced selected bottles of wines. Sunday Brunch includes Huevos Rancheros, Crabcake Benedict & more. Come join us at Char for....... Food • Drinks • Music • Art • Fun
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Nightlife is defined in Boone at this restaurant, but don't miss a meal here during regular dining hours. I've been known to be seen in Char a time or two (ok, more than that) enjoying dinner with Chef Pony. We know where to eat in town, fresh is our thing and supporting businesses that support local food on their menu is important to us. We enjoy sitting at the bar and being entertained by the great sports on their tv's or just to talk to the bartender/tendress on duty - always a great experience, and the service top notch. Our only problem is what to choose -so many incredible choices from appetizers to entrees - and fresh salads. You read the title and here's where I find real enjoyment - their fresh grilled salmon, perfectly cooked. I often find myself stuck on this one with a spinach/baby greens salad. The wedge salad is also a favorite - not to mention the high quality blue cheese crumbles, I like it when restaurants don't skimp on the good stuff. If wine is your thing, this is your place - an excellent selection and lovely glasses, the staff is always happy to suggest a pairing with your meal. The owners are friendly and offer great hours, a perfect place for a private party (reserve the huge granite table!) or a romantic dinner in the dining area graced with local art that's sure to get your attention. Trendy is a great way to describe the decor, and the al fresco seating a huge plus. We make our way to the deck with friends for brunch, the shrimp and grits are just amazing.

2  Thank PastaWench

Reviewed December 23, 2012

I just moved to Boone, and have since been shopping around for a new restaurant to frequent, when I stumbled upon char. Amazing food, prepared just about any way you could want it, service is always with a smile and the atmosphere is welcoming and warm. Prices are extremely reasonable; of course lunch is more college budget friendly, but the dinner is worth saving up for! For anyone who says the service is slow, everything is prepared TO ORDER, so it is well worth the wait. The Blackened Ribeye and the Shrimp & Grits are by far my favorite. I can not wait to go again.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

Very fun bar with friends or family. Outdoor seating; friendly servers. They will give you information as to what to do your see.

1  Thank marciabarham
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I went for brunch bc I heard it was the bomb...the menu selection was great, offering lunch items as well as breakfast items. I ordered a screwdriver and my dining companion had a mimosa. We ordered the chicken flatbread sandwich and decided to spilt it, so we could get our drink on. NO WHERE on the menu did it say there would be a split charge...the waitress didn't mention a split charge either. The meal came, split up nicely, and there was a short gray hair stuck in the flatbread, but that's cool, because I'm trying to build my immune system and I'm not one to send things back to the kitchen bc I know what happens...all in all the meal was a B-....how bout there was a five dollar split charge? Nowhere on the menu did it state this, nor did the waitress say anything when I was like"hey girl, we were thinking about splitting this"...bc that convo happened. Also mimosas are six bucks a piece, and homegirl had two, and bottomless mimosas are twelve dollars...so we basically sat for the extracurricular third mimosa, to get our money's worth. There was live music, which was nice, but they kept the doors open, which made the dining area acceptable for killing hogs. Forty dollars later, a brunch was had. I'm just not that impressed, char.

2  Thank Shaniqua J
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Food was good but service was very slow. Been there twice in the last couple of months and both times service was poor.

1  Thank LIbbaCharlotte