“Very cosy”

Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Boone
United Kingdom
“Very cosy”
Reviewed November 12, 2007

We stayed here for two nights with a family, to explore the region. The location is excellent, close to many attractions. We stayed out of season, it was quiet.

The interior is retro, left largely untouched after ABBA broke up, i.e. lots of brown shades. Lovely, as it brought back memories of our years of innocence. The very large lounge and the fireplace will make you feel at home even more quickly.

Despite the retro look, the place offers wireless, there were two TV's in our quarter. Further, rooms have a fully equipped kitchen, except for maybe the dishwasher, but washing up is excellent foreplay anyway.

Very important: everything is very clean!

• Liked — location, cleanliness
  • Disliked — I'm spoiled, but I love breakfast at hotels. Here you'll do your own, which is fine, given the presence of a kitchen in your room.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank UltimateRoadWarrior

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed October 7, 2007

We have stayed at the Smoke Tree Lodge at least 3 or 4 times a year for the last 16 years and have slept in at least 20 or 25 different rooms. From the studios to the 2 bedrooms we have tried them all.

We love the place because it is located very conveniently to all the area's attractions. It's nice and quiet and offers pretty much everything a family of four needs for a few days.

It does have some occassional issues such as rooms that are a bit too hot during the summer or water that is not hot enough during winter but, most of the time, we have had a good stay. Whenever there has been an issue, it has been taken care of or we have received a rate reduction.

No, it is not the Ritz Carlton but if you are looking for a nice, reasonably-priced place to stay this is it.

Ricardo Mata
Charlotte, NC.

Stayed August 2007
1 Thank DJRicardo
wilson
Reviewed May 28, 2006

We stayed at the SmokeTree Lodge in May, 2006. The price was below $100 and the room was small for a 1 bedroom type unit. However, we mainly slept there so the size of the room did not bother us. The carpet needs replacing and the Lodge in general is outdated but considering the Lodge is not "new" it met our expectations. We liked the location and the indoor pool which our children found satisfying. We used the kitchen area to prepare breakfast which saved money and for a 3-4 day trip it served our purpose. I expect the room would be very hot in July-August time frame considering the one window unit in the room.

• Stayed May 2006
4 Thank ahoney
Fayetteville, NC
Reviewed December 28, 2005

We stayed at the height of ski season, the day after Christmas. The room (301) was very clean. The bathroom was one of the largest and cleanest I have seen in a rental-type room, motel or otherwise. The kitchen area took up some of the space of the room, however, since we requested this service, it would be unfair to complain. Besides we paid to sleep there, not live. The kids were pleasantly surprised to find not only a vcr but a dvd player in the room. The towels were fluffier than the ones at my own house and we got enough so that extras weren't required. The pool was great, however the jacuzzi does need a little refurbishment. Also for some reason the water didn't seem to get as hot as we like it.

Stayed December 2005
4 Thank MaxFrisbee
Tennessee
Reviewed December 17, 2005

We booked one of the 2 BR units. The view was great and we enjoyed being close to both Hawksnest and Sugar Mountain. The indoor pool is great if you have kids. The kitchenette saves a ton of money if you want to avoid eating out for breakfast. The carpet needs replacing but we found the place to be pretty clean. We'll be going back again this year.

• Stayed February 2004
3 Thank Joel M
Graham, NC
Reviewed November 11, 2005

We had a 2br suite--good value. I mean, what can you expect for less than $100? But the carpet was filthy. Our infant daughter crawled around for about 10 minutes and her hands and knees were black, so that made us feel a bit unsanitary after that and wonder what else they don't clean! There was one of those vacuum things like they use in restaurants that you just roll on the floor and it picks up visible dirt--I think they must only use that, b/c I've never seen carpet leave black filth on you! The 2br even felt a bit clautrophobic, but the master br was a good size and the closet was huge..the largest I've ever seen in a hotel. We only stayed for one night, so it was fine, but I wouldn't want an extended stay in such cramped quarters, especially with children. The view from the lodge was great, and there is a spacious gameroom with a pool table, a couple arcade games, a couple poker machines, and puzzles and magazines. There is also a very cozy lobby with a large stone fireplace and couches and a tv..we enjoyed sitting there by the fire. There is also a nice indoor pool and jacuzzi..For the money, it is a great value with all the amenities you get. For a short stay, I'd probably go back, but I'd probably request the carpet be steam cleaned!

Stayed October 2005
5 Thank tbjustice
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 1, 2005

My family and I just stayed at the Smoketree Resort in Banner Elk. First impressions were not great, it looked more like a motel than a resort. On night two my wife saw a mouse. We found the hole in the wall and plugged it with towels ( that does not work by the way!!). I had to drive clear to the other side of Boone to a 24 hour Walgreens as there is no attendant on duty after hours to provide mouse traps. Of course we cought a rather large mouse. I figured that would be the end of the problem....nope. Night two had a mouse run across my wife as she was sleeping. Needless to say she did not sleep that night. We cought it too thanks to the mousetraps but decided to check out early. I will never stay there again and do not reccomend this place to anybody.

• Stayed October 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Boone hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Boone
Hampton Inn & Suites Boone
#4 of 18 in Boone
Courtyard Boone
Courtyard Boone
#7 of 18 in Boone

Been to Smoketree Lodge? Share your experiences!