“The service & the food were horrible!”

Timberlake's Restaurant at Chetola Resort
Ranked #16 of 48 Restaurants in Blowing Rock
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Healthy
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Timberlake’s Restaurant is the inspiration of North Carolina’s greatest artist, Bob Timberlake. Located in the historic 19th Century Estate overlooking beautiful Chetola Lake, Timberlake’s offers indoor dining or dining on the outdoor patio dining enhanced by the warm glow of a rustic fire pit (for when temperatures turn cooler). Specialties include Angus beef and bison filets, seafood, salads and a variety of vegetarian dishes. Unlimited breakfast buffet featured daily. Dinner served nightly from 5 to 10 pm. Breakfast Daily: 7:30am-10:30am Lunch: Noon-3pm (daily May-October) Dinner: 5-10pm (nightly May-January; Thurs, Fri & Sat January-May)
Reviewed August 10, 2011

We recently ate here while we were staying at the wonderful Bob Timberlake Inn. We could not get over how such a lovely resort could have such an awful restaurant. Our waiter, Justin, was so totally incompetent that I thought I was eating at Burger King (no offense to BK!). Our food arrived cold and flavorless after a very long wait. After he left our food, we didn't see him again for about 45 minutes. When we finally found a manager, Justin came over. We told him the food wasn't good and we had been waiting for our check for 30 minutes. He came back and threw the check at us and offered no apologies or explanation for the bad food and service except to say......the bar is full and I am busy. With so many great restaurants in the area, you'd be a fool to waste your money on a place this terrible. Try Bistro Rocca, Crippens or Story Street Grill. Everyone of them was wonderful.

2  Thank travelinbabe

Reviewed January 16, 2011

We've lived here for years but, for some reason, had never eaten at the Manor House in the Chetola resort. I guess we always thought of it as more "private", since it's located inside the gated resort in the Bob Timberlake lodge.

At any rate, we attended a function there in December and enjoyed the banquet food. We met one of the owners who was an extremely gracious host and, at his urging, decided we would return for dinner in the near future.

In January, we returned for dinner on a cold Friday night, a few days after a heavy snow. We were a party of five - I called for reservations and the hostess who answered the phone was very friendly and helpful. One of our party prefers early dining so we booked for 6:30.

Chetola is a beautiful place, pond in front, stone walls around the resort, a beautiful entrance to the grounds, and a gate house which, on the night of our visit, was staffed with a friendly and welcoming gatekeeper! Once inside the gate, you drive along the shoreline of the pond and follow the signs to the restaurant. Chetola was beautiful in the snow and with the holiday decorations still in place...The pond was particularly attractive with the holiday lighting!

We were able to find a parking spot near the door, walked up the steps and were surprised to find the door locked. After a minute or so, we noticed the small sign "Please Use Other Door", but the only other door we saw was at the opposite end of the porch, and their was a dining room chair placed in the walkway to that area, restricting passage. I made my way around the chair and walked through some of the snow that had blown up on the porch to the door...which was, in fact, the entrance.It hadn't snowed in a couple of days. Why someone didn't clear the snow from that porch to allow unencumbered access is a mystery! And, to place a chair there, apparently to restrict access, is very confusing.

A very small complaint to an otherwise perfect evening!

Once inside we were greeted by a friendly hostess who escorted us through the very interesting lobby, past the fireplace to one of the several small dining rooms. We were almost immediately greeted there by our server, Erin, who was a delight! A senior at nearby ASU and an excellent waitress! One would expect good service at a place like this, but in this area, where so many restaurant employees are college students working part time, you don't always get the most professional service. Erin was perfect.

Our food was as good as the service! Two of our parties had steak, which they proclaimed was as good as any they had ever had. Another had a sampling of appetizers instead of a main entree, and she too was very happy with her choices. My wife and I each ordered from the Prix Fixe menu - She had crabcakes, I had stuffed trout. BOTH were outstanding. My wife, the crab cake expert, claims that she has never had better! My trout, stuffed with crab, was similarly outstanding. Everything was served on hot plates, (not always the case in some B. Rock fine dining restaurants) and everything was absolutely perfect. Several visits to our table by the chef, added to our enjoyment of the meal.

I also have to say that, considering the ambiance and overall quality of the restaurant, the service, and the food....the prices were amazingly reasonable. The prix fixe meals include a salad or soup, entree and desert for $26.00. Most ala carte entrees on the menu are in the mid $20.00 range.

I dont think their is a better value in this area! We will return MANY times!

3  Thank LocalBRock
Reviewed January 4, 2011

We ate there one evening while staying in our Chetola condo. The service was fantastic; ambiance was wonderful; food was delectable. We will be going back next week and I am looking forward to a beautiful birthday dinner experience with my husband and our friends!

1  Thank dkline1956
Reviewed December 28, 2010

Ate dinner here with my family between Christmas and New Year's. When we arrived, they seated us immediately (which was nice, because we were a party of 8). It was quite warm in the restaurant, which we pointed out and it was addressed immediately (also nice). They were quite booked and the service was a little slow, but that was even ok. And then....a large group arrived. The staff was clearly unprepared. A mayhem ensued that could only be compared to a dinner rush at the McDonald's in Times Square. For some reason, the staff chose the small side room where we were seated to be the forum where they debated, discussed, and strategized how they would accomodate this party. And not only once. Or even twice. But on no more than three separate occasions, there was a great deal of quick walking, not-so-hushed talking, and apparent concern about where and how to seat this party. They then found it necessary to parade them through to review the seating plans with them, with one of them (literally) running into one of us while we were eating our main course. Finally everyone was settled (thank goodness). I don't know who these people were, but clearly they were important to accomodate to the discomfort of their other patrons. All in all, the meal was above average, our server was attentive, but the whole of the experience was not up to par.

3  Thank 12-826
Reviewed October 23, 2010

So very cozy! We were here in Oct. 2010, the fireplace was perfect. We ate here for dinner one night and breakfast 2 mornings while staying @ the resort. For dinner the "Pre Fix" menu was a great deal. For $26 you choose soup or salad, entree and dessert. I had the "Carolina Comfort" (grilled chicken, cheese grits and fried okra) and my husband had a steak and potatoes. Everything was delicious! One thing we loved, we weren't rushed. We were given a little time between each course. Make reservations, to make sure you can get it, as it is not a large restaurant. The best kept secret @ the Manor House is a server named "Jenn!" We only saw her there @ breakfast, but she is awesome! She could literally teach a class for people interested in the "hospitality/waitstaff" job area. She knows how to sincerely interact with people, children and adults alike. We hope to see her again! Enjoy!

2  Thank ewoka13