“A Long Time Customer, First Time Reviewer”
Review of Six Pence Pub

Six Pence Pub
Ranked #5 of 48 Restaurants in Blowing Rock
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Blowing Rock, North Carolina
“A Long Time Customer, First Time Reviewer”
Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

Having been a customer for many years, I've seen menu changes,bartenders and servers come and go, and even management turn over. I've had great experiences and some, not so much. I was there when people would see one of the former managers from the door and turn around and leave. I understand things will not always be perfect. However,  I've never felt compelled to write a review until now.

A couple months ago, I ordered a diet coke and large fish and chips. It was the middle of a Monday afternoon and service was extremely slow, the diet coke flat. I hadn't intended on saying anything because as previously stated, I realize no matter how great a place is, they will have "off" days. The next time I came in, I sat at the bar. Bartender seemed distracted,  but passable. While I was there,  another lady at the bar had an issue with her beer, she said a chip in the glass. The bartender,  rather than getting her a fresh glass proceeded to pour same beer into a different glass. Lady a few seats over started yelling at bartender. Manager, Mare, came over and immediately apologized and remedied the situation. Woman continued to yell, causing a scene. Mare not only stood there, allowing woman to speak to her badly, she continued to be the utmost of professionalism. She was nothing but polite and should be commended, not reprimanded.

I will be back to Six Pence, especially because of Mare. I've seen her several times since the incident and she always has a smile on her face and professional attitude.

North Carolina
“Friendly staff, good food and nice beer selection”
Reviewed May 31, 2014

We've been going to Blowing Rock for many years but never tried this place until we drove up there on Memorial Day and stopped for lunch, glad we tried it. First off, we had our Yorkshire Terrier Isabella with us so we at a very nice outdoor patio and as the very nice server came up to the table she had a bowl of water for the dog without requesting it. Try the Mac & Cheese Bites as an appetizer. My wife enjoyed her Greek Salad and I had the Fish & Chips, quite a few craft beers both draft and bottled that I had not tried before and believe me I have tried plenty. Finished up with a slice op peanut butter cheesecake.

1 Thank dstew7003
Raleigh, North Carolina
“One of a Kind”
Reviewed May 30, 2014

I used to be a frequent visitor of Six Pence and when I came back the staff had changed drastically! I was a little hesitant at first, but the staff is truly amazing. Mare is probably the best manager I have seen at a restaurant in years. She really makes the servers, bartenders, kitchen staff, and customers feel like they are part of a big family. I am glad she is there! This place is truly a gem.

• Visited March 2014
Memphis, Tennessee
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing!”
Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

I absolutely love this place. I have been a frequent customer of six pence for many years! Mair is the best additon they have added in years! She always takes time to check and make sure everything is up to par. She is amazing at her job and adds to the cheer and experience of six pence!

1 Thank mountaintimes
West Jefferson, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Staff not trained properly”
Reviewed May 25, 2014

Friend ordered beer. Rim of glass had a chip out of it. Asked for fresh beer and glass. Bartender poured SAME beer into another glass. NOT acceptable. At same time saw waiter drop ketchup lid on floor. He picked it up and placed it on the bottle. UGH!
When I brought this to the manager's attention, I said the Health dept would not appreciate these actions. She told me not to threaten her by implying I would call the Health dept. I will NEVER again darken the doors of Six Pence with my presence nor my business.

1 Thank Joy D
Ron A, Owner at Six Pence Pub, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Dear Joy D,
I was very dismayed when I read your review. I am very sorry for your unpleasant experience, and for the unprofessional actions of my staff. Please rest assured I have taken steps to retrain the bartender, and waiter, and have placed the assistant manager on closely supervised probation while being retrained in proper customer relations.
Again, please accept my apology on behalf of my staff; we hope you will reconsider, and visit us again.
Sincerely ,