“A Fairly Traditional Pub in the Mountains of North Carolina” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Six Pence Pub

Six Pence Pub
Ranked #6 of 48 Restaurants in Blowing Rock
Cuisines: Irish, Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Bar scene, Kids, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Greenville, South Carolina
“A Fairly Traditional Pub in the Mountains of North Carolina”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

On a day-trip from Greenville SC to the North Carolina mountains my brother and I stopped at Blowing Rock after our visit to Grandfather Mountain, where we had worked up an appetite. So our primary purpose was to choose the right restaurant for lunch. There are several restaurants along Main Street, but we narrowed the field to three, and finally landed, very happily, on the Six Pence Pub, as authentic a publick house as I've seen in these here parts. They offer several kinds of beers and ales found in English pubs, as well as typical pub fare (shepherd’s pie, bangers ‘n’ mash, fish ‘n’ chips) enhanced by other kinds of food to appeal to many tastes. Phil had a local IPA, with the colorful name Lauganitas Sucks (actually he had two, but who am I to tattle?), and I had a pint of Smithwick's (a darkish ale I had first tasted in a Dublin pub). My brother ordered what turned out to be a gigantic club sandwich on pumpernickel - not your usual pub fare – he was VERY satisfied! And I chose a grilled salmon sandwich, accompanied by cole slaw (there were other choices of sides as well). As usual I ate only the salmon, not the bread and trimmings, and it was very good - also very large - I regret (slightly) not taking half home with me for a salmon salad. The staff was convivial, the atmosphere likeable, there were even copies of the Union Jack, a monthly paper with news of the UK for those US-ers, myself included, homesick for it – highly recommended!

• Visited March 2014

Boone, N C
“Classic English Pub”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

Fun relaxed atmosphere. Great place to stop for a beer and chat with locals or tourists. Menu is classic Pub fare - fish and chips, bangers etc.

Visited April 2013
Kernersville NC
“great food in BR”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014

Quick lunch after hiking all morning. Loved the atmosphere of an English pub. Very good food, sorry we didn't try anything other than soup and sandwich. We'll have to go back.

Visited February 2014
Hendersonville, North Carolina
“Good British-style pub in Blowing Rock”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

Everything you'd expect from a British pub. I had the Shepard's pie which was excellent. Went with the family and everyone was satisfied. The service was a little on the slow side but overall a very good experience.

• Visited February 2014
Florida
“Second Jewel of the Six Pence Triple Crown”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

Having been a patron of the Six Pence in Savannah since the late 80s, this was my first visit to the Blowing Rock location.

The decor is warmly similiar and the menu familiar although one of our favorites, the Welsh Rarebit, had taken its leave.

The Guinness was poured well, drinks and appetizers delivered timely and our server, Allie, was friendly and very attentive.

I look forward to completing my Six Pence Triple Crown at Fort Mill.