TripAdvisor
Search
Open today: 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Review Highlights
Enjoyable Pit Stop

This is an experience worth trying out at least once. There are some spots where you are not quite... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
bbk3e
Raleigh, North Carolina
Great to experience at least once

This was a quick stop that can easily last a few hours if you buy into all the extra activities on... read more

Reviewed October 5, 2019

Climbing Tower
2 Reviews
from $19.00
More Info
All reviews vortex room bubble room optical illusion native american artifacts heritage museum our tour guide interesting place tomahawk throwing roadside attraction gem mining fun place to visit all ages gem mine a lot of fun kids and adults on display great family fun
Selected filters
Reviewed April 20, 2011

My kids (ages ten and under) enjoyed the mystery room best of all. My husband and I felt a little nausea upon entering, because it messes with your equilibrium. But if you close your eyes, the strange feeling goes away, so you know right away that you are in a cleverly staged optical illusion, not a "mysterious vortex" that "defies scientific explanation." Even my kids could figure that out. However, as we were just sitting in there, hanging out, a worker came in and asked us how we were enjoying it. We said we were having fun. He asked us if we had any ideas about the "mystery room." When we proceeded to tell him our idea that it was an optical illusion, he said, "Did you experience any nausea?" We said that we did, and he then told us, "That's because of this." (And pointed to the sign that said "vortex.") He further claimed that many years ago a meteorite had hit that area and created a vortex, or black hole and created the mysterious gravitational pull that we were experiencing. Honestly, it would have been more fun if he had not spoken to us. I get that he was trying to be friendly. But we felt our intelligence was insulted with his "vortex mystery" explanation.

Date of experience: April 2011
2  Thank mlts
MysteryHill, Guest Relations Manager at Mystery Hill, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2011

Thanks for the TripAdvisor review - I am not sure which employee gave an explanation but I can ensure you that we typically let the Mystery House be a Mystery for Visitors to explore and learn about by trying the experiments that demonstrate the effects happening in the room. There actually is more to Mystery Hill than the Optical Illusion as there is a naturally occurring gravitational anomaly that several of the experiments in the room demonstrate where things hanging in mid air in the area will take more force to move in one direction than the other. This naturally occurring anomaly was shown for many years before the Mystery House was built to add the Optical Illusion and make the experience more fun. Mystery Hill officially does not try to give any explanation for the anomaly but there are lots of theories on why these occur at many places around the world (many of the theories are much more scientifically based than the meteor/black hole theory). I would love to have you visit again and let me show you personally why we think that Mystery Hill offers a great experience at a great value for everyone. Email me at info@mysteryhill-nc.com and I will arrange for a complementary return visit. Thank you again for bringing this to our attention and I will make sure that all the employees are educated on the Mystery House and do not propagate the stories they here without evidence to back it up or explaining that it is just one of the many theories.

Reviewed March 23, 2011

I visited Mystery Hill when I was a kid, and I was fascinated. I've taken all three of my children to the attraction, and they love it!! They asked to return, and it's worth the fun. It gives kids (and adults) the opportunity to learn, in a hands-on way, the physics of movement and gravity. In addition to the "hills" there are a few hands-on experiments for kids (and parents) that are fun. For those who consider it a "cheap" attraction that doesn't give what it promises, perhaps they could remember their own childhood fasination with the mystery of gravity. As far as an "illusion" much of what is real in terms of science and physics create "illusions." If you want your kids to be entertained and to say, "Whoa - cool" take them to Mystery Hill and let them have a ball. If you are scientifically minded and you want them to learn the "whys" of gravity, then explain afterwards. If you are a very literal person who feels that fascination isn't the route to go for learning, then explain to your child as he/she says "Wow" how "illusions" are created, and how much of what we see in life is an "illusion." What we see isn't always what we know is there. Mystery Hill is just what it advertises - it's a mystery while it's fascinating, then a learning experience when you resolve the "mystery."

Date of experience: February 2011
2  Thank birdlistener
Reviewed February 1, 2011

Can we all say "cheap tourist trap"? This place was everything but a mystery. More like a cheap run down and outdated side show at a carnival. The tilted house was exactly that, a house built on an angle to give an illusion of objects rolling and flowing against gravity. The owners should definitely consider lowering their admission prices to .50 cents per person. After seeing that train wreck of an attraction I had high hopes for the native american museum... wrong! The museum is nothing but a massive collection of old arrow heads and a gift shop. I've seen more interesting native american stuff on the PBS channel. So please, I beg of you... save your money! Got out for ice cream instead.

Date of experience: March 2010
14  Thank Babydreamer111
Reviewed January 2, 2011

Basically, this place is all about the tilted room. It wasn't worth the money or time, we were in and out in 1/2 hour. The people were very nice, but this is a very cheesy tourist attraction. I'd recommend saving your money for something else.

3  Thank RussAndersonUS
Reviewed October 4, 2010

We have been to Mystery Hill a couple of times and the kids always enjoy going there. It wont kill your wallet either and the Museum next door I also recomend highly.. Go Peeps and have fun!!!!