The Village Inns of Blowing Rock: Hillwinds Inn
Meadowbrook Inn(Blowing Rock)(Great Value!)
$108
$99
Holiday Inn Express Blowing Rock South(Blowing Rock)(Great Value!)
$119
$115
Cliff Dwellers Inn(Blowing Rock)(Great Value!)
$139
Blowing Rock Inn and Villas(Blowing Rock)(Great Value!)
$99
The Green Park Inn(Blowing Rock)(Great Value!)
$114
$111
Hotels.com
Boxwood Lodge(Blowing Rock)(Great Value!)
$89
Hemlock Inn(Blowing Rock)(Great Value!)
Travelocity
Chetola Resort at Blowing Rock(Blowing Rock)(Great Value!)
$224
$217
All reviewscontinental breakfastrocking chairsmain stwithin walking distancesunset drivegreat location in downtownbagelswine hourcozy hotelsocial hourshort staytwo blockshuge bathroomprivate entrancefull kitchenthis past weekendmotor lodge
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We have been staying at the Hillwinds Inn every time we are in Blowing Rock (at least one time a year) for at least 25 years. Always clean, quiet. They remodel the rooms often, updating furniture and other items. Large outdoor sitting area and Troutman rockers (very comfortable) outside every room. Large continental breakfast - many choices. My husband had French toast; I had a banana and toast. We have always felt very safe. No worries when having to get something from the car (right outside of the room) in the middle of the night. We will be back next year.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We travelled the Blue Ridge Parkway for days and decided to stop in Blowing Rock. We went to several other places before stumbling upon the Village Inn. We were showed a suite and were instantly charmed. The suite had so many amenities that are not usually found. Full size kitchen with wine chiller, nice living room, bedroom, and luxurious bathroom. The restroom has a jumbo sized whirl pool tub, double sink, walk in shower with double shower head. The suite is decorated very pretty and made me feel like I wasn't so far from home. I recommend this place to anyone that appreciates details.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I can't fault this place, from the location, just a 2 minute walk to Main St, to the friendly staff and impeccably clean rooms. Very comfortable beds with down comforters. Wine and snacks offered at 5pm, and there is a gazebo where we took our breakfast. Friendly, helpful staff; one guest asked if there was any coffee left (about 4pm) and they immediately offered to make a fresh pot. I'd definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: They have suites and cottages but we stayed in a regular room, it was fabulous!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Louise M
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We bought a coupon for two nights here. After reading other reviews on Tripadvisor, we didn't expect much, but were pleasantly surprised. Of course, this is an old facility, but everything has been updated. Our room was spacious and sparklingly clean. The staff was pleasant and knowledgeable. There was a nice variety of food for breakfast in a large, comfortable room where it was easy to connect with others, or find a cozy corner, if we didn't feel like socializing. Best of all, we could walk to shops and restaurants. We will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: There are rooms specifically dedicated to pets and for those like us, pet free rooms,
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LA2GARep
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Had booked this motel for 4 nights....but left after just one. Some quick FACTS: called the reservation line for "Village Inns of Blowing Rock" and was directed to push "2" for the Hillwinds Inn desk. Got an answering machine and I left a message that I wanted to make a reservation. I did not receive a return call. I subsequently called the Hillwinds Inn " DIRECT LINE " and the call was transferred over to the reservation desk at the "Village Inn". I was told the Hillwinds Inn office was "CLOSED" after 5 pm but that my room key would be left in the drop box. I arrived at Hillwinds and retreived my room key from the box along with a "welcome" letter. The letter requested that I stop in the Hillwinds office at 8 am the next morning to enjoy my free breakfast and to "officially" check in. Don't stop reading...it even gets WORSE! I noticed there was only one other room occupied in the Hillwinds motel that night. With the front desk "CLOSED", you were instructed to contact the Village Inn which is located down the street. However, after 9pm the "Village Inn desk" would also be "CLOSED" so in an emergency - such as fire, criminal activity etc. you needed to call some other number to get help or assistance. Management simply vacates all of their motel premises from 9pm until 8 am and you are left to fend on your own. At 8am this morning, I got up to "officially" check in at the Hillwinds office and get my free breakfast. By 8:30 am the office was still "LOCKED UP TIGHT". I tried to dial the "front desk" from the phone in my room and the line was DEAD! I decided this was my "wake up" call and promptly packed my bags and tossed the room key in the drop box. I later tried to contact the Hillwinds Inn office and the call was automatically routed to the Village Inn office. I was informed that the person manning the Hillwinds office was out sick so if I wanted "breakfast or to check in", then I needed to go over to the Village Inn. Since I was already 30 miles away I just requested they email me my receipt. During the winter, management needs to close two of their three inns so that they can attempt to run just one of them in a "professional manner". Between the 3 inns I believe they had a total of 5 guests that night -- all of which were treated poorly and placed in a potentially unsafe overnight environment. I don't know what the crime rate is in Blowing Rock, but these inns , and their unsuspecting guests, would certainly be a prime target from 9pm to 8 am. Also, since they have room "keys" instead of room cards (which can be recoded for each new guest), it makes you wonder how many "copies" are floating around Blowing Rock? The rooms do have a door lock, deadbolt, and safety chain however!!

Room Tip: All rooms are probably good rooms. However there are none that are "safe" rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank john k
VillageInnsManager, General Manager at The Village Inns of Blowing Rock: Hillwinds Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

We are so sorry that this guest felt unsafe during their stay. This is honestly the first report that a guest has felt unsafe in one of our properties. Blowing Rock is a very small, very seasonal town that forces businesses to be creative during the off-season. As a result, our rates are deeply discounted during this time, however, our amenities are not diminished . We have someone who lives just around the corner from all three of our locations who is the after hours manager on duty who is available to personally assist guests from 9pm-8am. We are a upscale, boutique inn, not a large franchise. We are very sorry that this guest was further inconvenienced during their stay because of our make-shift breakfast arrangements. Our guest service representative on duty that day was violently ill, and rather than expose our guests to a potential contagious illness, we consolidated our breakfast to our sister property, which is just a stone's throw away. Again, we are very sorry that this guest was inconvenienced, but the tone and content of these harsh comments are entirely out of line and undeserved.