“Great for beginners but very small ski area.”

Appalachian Ski Mountain
Reviewed March 15, 2014

If you are a beginner skiier or want to get your kids in ski school, this is a great place for you.
Pros: We liked the fact that it is small so no need for walkie-talkies and worrying about getting separated from your group, etc. Well organized and friendly staff. Good rental equipment. Easy to get to. Closest ski resort to Charlotte.

Cons: If you already know how to ski, you will be bored before the day is over here. Only three real runs and they are short and not challenging. The lift ticket prices here are about the same as Sugar and Beech but the amount of skiable terrain and length of the runs is not comparable.

Overall: Great for beginners. Intermediate or advanced skiiers should avoid.

6  Thank HurricaneFloyd99
There are newer reviews for Appalachian Ski Mountain

Reviewed March 8, 2014

This was our first ski trip as a family (4 and 7 year old children). My kids and I had never skied before, so we signed up for lessons. I made reservations for the children for the Ski Wee program on Friday (2 hrs in the morning, break for lunch, and then met again for 2 hrs in the afternoon). The class only had 3 children, so they received very individualized attention. Chris was very good and patient with the kids and was able work at their own pace! On Saturday, I noticed there were many more kids in the same program, so I'm glad they went when they did. Maybe weekdays are slower? I would ask the school for their slow times for the best ratio.

I took 3 private lessons; it's more expensive, but it was the most efficient way to learn. I signed up the day of, because timing of private lessons depends on the expected turnout for group lessons that day. Fortunately, they were wide open on March 7, and I had 3 in one day with the same instructor. I can't say enough good things about my instructor, Benjamin M., from France. He was patient and explained basics before starting, and broke the process down in simple parts before putting it all together. He had a way of explaining things that made sense. He was very good at knowing exactly what was wrong or right with my technique, so that he could help me improve. I felt very comfortable and safe with him, and he went at my own pace. He is probably the best instructor I have ever had related to a sport.

This was my first time on the slopes so I don't have much to compare it to, but I would say this is a smaller mountain perfect for beginners. My husband is a good skier and was able to do the most difficult runs, and he said they were not that hard (although they looked hard to me).

We had a great first family ski trip here! Thanks App Ski Mtn!

2  Thank mandy f
Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

My wife had a great time learning how to ski. They had her on the slopes after a 1 hr session. We liked the beginner friendly atmosphere, flex time tickets and no long lines during the week. Only complaints we really had is that there is no outdoor seating, no going
Outside to watch without a lift ticket, leaving your ski gear unattended allowed even for a few mins. - You are supposed to rent a locker. Sugar mountain does not have these restrictions. Anyway, it's a great family friendly atmosphere. Nice gift shops and rentals for all you need onsite.

2  Thank chris1976ga
Reviewed March 1, 2014

My husband and I skied with our son and family last night. We are from the Adirondacks in New York. Our son's family have season passes. Our grandsons have learned to ski at this area. This is a classy, we'll run area. From the minute you drive in the parking lot, you get the feeling of a great place. Thanks for providing such a gem for the Boone area.

1  Thank Joan I
Reviewed February 23, 2014

It's a first stop for beginners. Nice place. But restaurant is not that good specially their ha, burgers its very dry and no taste at all.