“Great Beginner Skiing”

Appalachian Ski Mountain
Reviewed February 19, 2014

If you have never skied before, you can go to Appalachian Ski Mountain, and they will rent you absolutely everything you need, including ski bibs, goggles, helmets, gloves, and jackets ( not to mention the full line of ski or snowboard gear, including boots, skis or snowboard, and poles). We were there, apparently on the busiest day of the year, and it was very chaotic, because it was so crowded. But, after a lesson for the kids, they went from knowing nothing about skiing to successfully skiing in about two hours.
For avid, advanced skiers, you will probably find this ski resort pretty small, as far as runs and trails. They do have several levels of ski runs, and some hill jumps and rails for those who like to do snowboard tricks.
The one downside which was really frustrating, was that there was really very little comfortable seating for those people who were not skiing. The top floor of the lodge has school cafeteria type tables and folding metal chairs for seating. Outside there are picnic tables. There is also a small ice rink which we didn't try. I don't believe this resort has tubing, unlike some of the other nearby resorts. Parking is $1 to get in. Overall, the kids had a blast and said they would definitely like to come back. It's a great place to try skiing and very family friendly

2  Thank Teresa A
"lift tickets"
in 10 reviews
"small resort"
in 7 reviews
"great place for beginners"
in 8 reviews
"cafeteria style"
"group lesson"
"warm weather"

Reviewed February 17, 2014

AppSkiMtn is clean, friendly, and easy. The easy in and easy out, friendly staff make this the best choice in the high country.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

My son traded his surfboard in for a snowboard when we moved here from Florida last year. After two visits to App Ski Mtn last year (the first included lessons with French Swiss, the on site school), he decided he wanted to get serious about snowboarding. Only being 11, he saved for a season pass because he was excited App had everything he needed to focus on his goal: variety of runs, ample lifts, pros, shopping for gear, food and a comfortable lodge for Mom & Dad to watch him progress on the slopes. We split the cost of the season pass (student rate) with him and we all feel it has been a worthwhile investment. Courteous, helpful and friendly staff, App Ski Mtn is family-run and also offers ice skating for non-skiers. Their annual ski gear sale (fall) is incredible and worth checking out when considering upgrading or replacing equipment.

1  Thank Way2Groovy
Reviewed February 11, 2014

My 16 yr old son's Boy Scout troop planned a trip to this resort this past Sunday (the 9th). His troop had been there before, but he had not been able to go. They got a great group rate on the ski or snowboarding package which include the rental of equipment, lessons, & ski lift ticket. My son wanted to try the snowboarding. He has never done ski nor snowboard.

The staff at the store and various stations to pick up his equipment were very friendly and helpful especially knowing my son had not snowboarded before.

We rented the medium size locker which was like $3 for the day. You will need to leave a $5 deposit, but will get that back when you return the locker key. We discovered that the medium locker would have probably fit a couple of our boys daypacks & shoes. It would probably fit 2 backpacks if they were not jam packed with clothes. If we had known this, we would have shared rentals. So keep in mind that depending on how much you bring, you may be able to split the cost of the rental with someone in your party.

Some of us parents had decided that we would not attempt this trip with skiing or snowboarding. We stayed on the upper deck watching our boys. It was a nice wide deck with lots of picnic tables. Only complaint I have is that the deck didn't go out far enough to be able to observe the "bunny" slope. It was difficult to see the kids at the top of the hill.

The groups' lesson was an hour long. My son felt ready to graduate to the first challenging hill. He tried several times before he got the hang of it with minimal falling. He said the staff was very informative and helpful. You could see them all over the place monitoring the hill.

They had a restaurant that was quite pricey. However, the hot chocolate was nice for such a cold morning. And when my son needed some water, we asked for a bottle of water. The server asked if he would like ice water instead. I thought that was very nice of him to offer rather than over charge me for bottled water. They had some ice water for sale in a good size cup for only 25 cents. We were able to go into Boone and bring back fast food to eat out on the deck. I think that is a plus when there are some places which will not allow outside food.

The only scary part was that everyone from all the various slopes came down to one common area. I don't know if that is a common thing with ski resorts since this was our first time going to one. He was a bit intimidated with the different people coming in fast from all angles.

He decided towards the end of the day that he was ready to step it up to the next level, not the black diamond hill, but the one below that level. Unfortunately, he fell a few times and with the last fall he pulled his hamstring. I noticed that he wasn't getting up for quite a while. Then I saw him get up. He took off his snowboard and was limping very badly. I got the attention of one of the staff and asked if he would be able to send someone up to help him down. The staff member was very polite and jumped into action to find a ski patrol member. The ski patrol immediately went up to my son and assisted him back down the slope.

I wish I could remember all the staff members names who helped out. I just want to say thank you for a great first time experience. My son is ready to go back.

1  Thank mombear397