“Just plain nice”
Review of Meadowbrook Inn

Meadowbrook Inn
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Blowing Rock
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have stayed here twice for Respiratory Care Conferences and both stays were enjoyable. Pleasant check -in with very friendly management. Buffet meals were tasty and meeting facilities were adequate, if a bit cramped. Great and really pristine pool. Great restaurants are all within walking or a short driving distance. Rooms can be noisy as in most hotels depending on the number and type of guests.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed August 23, 2013

After reading the reviews on here I was unsure, but we were planning last minute and this place was cheap and convenient to the parkway. We definitely made a good choice. The staff was friendly, the room was HUGE, we got the king suite $109 / night. We could have slept 8 people in there it was huge. The kids slept in the pull out bed and we stayed in the super comfortable king bed. The rooms were clean and the facility was very nice. The kids loved the pool, and we enjoyed the hot tub. Was close to tons of restaurants (we drove, did not walk - but you could have walked). Overall I would highly recommended. Some notes: we were a family of 4 with 2 kids under 10 yrs. The towels did show some signs of wear but were clean, and the shower, compared to the rest of the room, was small. The AC, since some people made huge issues of this, we had no issues. Yes, it did kick on and off, unlike some hotel units that stay on all the time, and it was a little noisy, but did not effect our sleep at all, it is after all trying to cool 700+sf, did I mention the room was huge.... Breakfast was standard continental style, nothing special but for the rate we paid more than adequate. Would definitely recommend to anyone traveling through blowing rock.

Room Tip: The king suite was awesome!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed at Meadowbrook this past Saturday night, and our room was terrible. Do not let them put you in Room 215, the air conditioning unit is soooo loud, you cannot sleep. The room it self was ok, it did have an old time feel to it, but the a/c unit ran every 15 minutes, for about 5 minutes each time and was so loud my husband and I didn't get a minute of sleep. It was a good thing we were not real hungry the next morning, because the breakfast was awful. Some cereal and toast, a large vat of cottage cheese and fruit cocktail (right from the can). The eggs looked gross and the gravy (for the biscuits) was like soup (again from a can). The indoor pool was ok, and the people were nice. I did complain about the a/c and they said that each room has it's own a/c unit, and they would check into it. There are a lot of other hotels in downtown Blowing Rock, I would check out another one.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
coolideas, General Manager at Meadowbrook Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2013

Hi, Christina. Our management team reviews all TripAdvisor comments, and we're sorry our property didn't meet your expectations on this trip.
As a result of your input about the air conditioner in Room 215 our Maintenance team redesigned the ductwork in that room. We're really glad you told us about the problem with this unit, because it led us to do a full scan of our water flow in our HVAC system. Your input helped us discover a problem before it became system wide, and I thank you for this.
This unit is once again quiet, and it cycles on and off properly.
Our heating and cooling system is a part of our Green Initiative; it's a geothermal system and is very energy efficient. We also have a backup generator which can run our entire property if needed.
Breakfast is included with each stay and is prepared fresh each morning by our culinary team. Our menu includes the following: egg casserole, sausage, biscuits and gravy, cottage cheese, fruit cocktail and fresh fruit, breads and muffins, cereals, milk, juice, coffees and teas.
Thank you for your input. We appreciate your business.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

We went to Blowing Rock because my Grandson wanted to go to Tweetsie and Grandfather Mountain. Meadowbrook had everything we wanted. Friendly and accommodating staff,, super nice indoor pool & fitness center, really nice room and great continental breakfast. Feeding the ducks was a real treat for us. Son-in-law runs every morning and he really enjoyed the trails, etc. Inn is located right in Blowing Rock so we could just walk to shops, Such a nice place.

Room Tip: We had the standard room on the third floor and it was perfect.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank JudithDianne
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I traveled to Blowing Rock during 4th of July weekend without hotel reservations. In route I search my IPhone for properties located to the downtown Blowing Rock. I wanted to park and walk. I called several properties in route hoping to secure a room prior to arrival. After several calls, Meadowbrook was willing to hold the room for me to “look at” when I arrived. Upon arrival, I was directed to the room specifically selected for me by front desk personal, Debra. She had personally chosen a room with a great view after I expressed to her that I was visiting specifically for the firework display. I typically stay in chain affiliated hotels, brand specific, but that was not an option in quaint downtown Blowing Rock. More upscale lodging was available but I was budget conscious. On an interesting note, I found that most lodging properties I contacted, mid-scale to upscale, had vacancies. Room was average. My biggest compliment would be to the staff at Meadowbrook…GREAT JOB, DEBRA…excellent customer service!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank JHS524
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Our standard room was lovely, clean, very comfortable, and carried a certain old time hotel luxury ambience. The staff was most accommodating. The location is perfect--in the heart of Blowing Rock. We loved the pool and fitness center as well and the the child friendly atmosphere. We can't wait to return!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Meadowbrook I, General Manager at Meadowbrook Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2013

- Ann, I'm so glad you liked our hotel! ...It's a labor of love!
- I've worked here 12 years now, and it's just wonderful to see kids growing up or another generation being born. At this time of year there are few things cuter than children wearing pink cowgirl hats or 'coonskin caps after a day at Tweetsie. Or a little one trying to feed our ducks and calling out, "Heeere duckies, here duckies!" :-)
- Because we're a boutique hotel we really didn't want to cave to the white bedding/contemporary look of chain hotels today. We want to be a little different with our traditional furnishings, our cozy but upscale atmosphere, and the guest service you mentioned.
- We renovate 10 guest rooms a year, and we've just begin to add stone work to the fireplaces in our annex rooms.
- Our staff works very hard, and we thank you for your comments. Our management team looks at all TripAdvisor comments and uses them to see what we're doing right and recommendations for changes.
- Our indoor pool and fitness center are great for families and to catch up on a little play time/work out time while traveling.
- We do have a great location! It's so nice to not worry about finding parking, which is usually at a premium in Blowing Rock. Lots of our guests love to leave their car at the hotel and walk the one block to the center of downtown to shops, to our much-loved park, and, of course, the ice cream and fudge shop! LOL

Reviewed July 4, 2013

We stayed in one of the suites and the room was quite nice. Staff was friendly and accommodating. The only disappointment was the lounge/restaurant was not open. Since the location is quite convenient to the town center, it was not a real inconvenience.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Snugdad

- I'm so glad you liked your suite! I was wondering which one you stayed in.
- We have 2 suites with a pool that's private to each room, 4 suites with balconies, many with fireplaces and whirlpool tubs, some two-bedroom suites, and some with 4-poster king beds.
- I'm not sure, but I'm guessing you used to stay here when we had a restaurant and lounge open to our hotel guests. Unfortunately, we closed these 4 years ago when the economy crashed and we changed our business model. We now use these spaces for private events, such as banquets, weddings, and meetings. We do 50 wedding events a year here at the Meadowbrook Inn.
- Fortunately, everything in Blowing Rock is very close by! We have great restaurants and bars next door, across the street, and within 2 blocks. I always like to say that a guest could stay in Blowing Rock and never run out of great restaurants to try!
-Thank you for staying with us!