“A home away....”

Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Blowing Rock
Charleston, South Carolina
“A home away....”
Reviewed July 18, 2014

The Green Park Inn originally caught my attention because it was part of the Historic Hotels of America Association. Upon arrival we were welcomed by the beautiful green and white charming structure of the property with the mountains in the background, they have a unique front desk agent named Polly, who seemed to think everyone was her owner! She was so lovable. The desk agents were helpful with recommending places to hike (which is a must in this beautiful city) and friendly as ever. They knew us by name and treated us like company in their home. I thoroughly enjoyed breakfast every morning in the breakfast room. The waitress was stunning! Although I would have liked to see a different menu one of the four days we were there, the food was made to order and set us off on the right foot!

We reserved a superior king room with a balcony which was so lovely. It looked out on the golf course and was so peaceful at night. The bathroom was large and the walk in closet was definitely a nice treat. I loved having the coffee in the room as well. We were in a connecting room and the neighbors were a little noisy, but it was addressed promptly by the front desk and we had no further complaints. That was very professional.

This hotel is perfectly situated at the entrance of the city and right next to the infamous Blowing Rock (which isn't too spectacular in itself but the history is neat and the views are wonderful) It's a perfect place for a romantic getaway as we did or a wonderful, unique and charming experience for the whole family. Dogs welcome and Polly is not shy!

I highly recommend this property if you want that home away from home experience with a charming, historical touch!

Room Tip: Superior King with a balcony! Travel during the week for great weekday rates!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LucyM8800

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed June 25, 2014

The Green Park Inn was a nice treat for a group of weary bikers riding the Blue Ridge Parkway. The hotel has been extensively remodeled since its acquisition several years ago. Our rooms were small but comfortable. The bathrooms well supplied with fancy lotions, soaps and shampoos. The dining room and breakfast parlor were very tastefully decorated and smelled of well-oiled wood. Parking was easy and ample. Our dinner was very tasty and the chef was able to accommodate our two finicky vegans. The best part was the reasonable price that the hotel charged.

Sadly, although the hotel is purported to be haunted, we saw no evidence of ghosts.

Room Tip: The first floor rooms have much higher ceilings and are larger than the uppers floors but the bathro...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank jonathon58
Reviewed June 19, 2014

We came to the Green Park Inn for some post-holiday relaxation. It was a wonderful trip! The hotel is historic and beautiful. The piano player in the lobby was great and we enjoyed hanging out by the fireplace in the study. Rooms are small and you have to take the age of the place into consideration. Highly recommend for those who love old, historic places!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KimShort81
Hendersonville, North Carolina
Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

You have to have stayed at a few of these types of places to know what to expect. This is not the Four Seasons and it's not Motel Six either. It's somewhere in between. The rooms are large with high ceilings, as you would expect and the bathrooms are small, as you would also suspect. I stayed in the old original building and they also have newer buildings so I cannot comment on them. Overall if you are looking for a change from Holiday Inn Express, I'd say give it a look but if you want new and improved, don't bother.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank acharlesb
Lexington, North Carolina
Reviewed June 2, 2014

We had a great weekend at Green Park. We were there for the murder mystery weekend. Keith and Margo do a great job. Rocco, the detective, is always the best part of the weekend. Green Park was a great place for the mystery. We had great food and fun. The Inn is so hospitable,and dog friendly, you feel like you're visiting an old friend! Greene Park Inn is an historic place full of warmth and charm.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Brenda H
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Murder Mystery USA by Keith and Margo held an event here May 30 thru June 1,2014 at the Green Park. What a perfect place for this event. Green Park has been remodeled but there is still the charm of a very Historic old hotel. The Lobby is very cozy and furnished beautifully. On the week-ends piano music is provided by a gentleman named Charlie Ellis. What a treat. I stepped over to The Bar. They have a large selection of beer, wine and liquor and it is pretty reasonably priced. The Library beside the Lobby is very relaxing and again furnished very nice. There is a grouping of chairs and sofa in front of the fireplace and I could picture folks relaxing by the fire with a good book. The Murder Mystery took place in the Garden Room and Patio. The Garden Room was spacious and accommodated our group of approximately 40 people very comfortably. Double Doors opened to the Patio. There were tables and chairs there among the natural area with plenty of flowering bushes. That is a nice spot to sit and have a drink while enjoying the outdoors. The Chef is Steve Birgel. He was very friendly and came out to make sure your food was good (and it was!). I had dinner in the Chestnut Grill. I ordered a chicken entree with a Caesar Salad and sautéed green beans. It was very delicious. And the Breakfast buffet was good too! My true test of a good breakfast is biscuits and gravy and I was not disappointed. There was fruit and yogurt as well as hot items, biscuits/gravy, eggs, bacon, sausage, and hash brown potatoes. If you went away hungry it was your own fault! The owners Eugene and Steve were there this weekend and were very happy to talk about the changes the hotel has recently gone through. I sensed a pride in their work to restore this wonderful historic Inn to its former glory. And I am saving the best for last .... pets are allowed ( there is a 40 lbs limit). The Manager Lorry brings her darling Polly (a gorgeous golden) to work and she (Polly) sometimes comes to the Check-in area to greet you. I Love It! This was my 1st visit but certainly not my last. I really love this beautiful old place and will go again. Please give it a try but keep in mind- it is still a work in progress. I think they are doing a beautiful job here and I hope they continue to put in the love and time it deserves.

Room Tip: I had a room overlooking the Blowing Rock Golf Course. My room was large and very comfortable. I enj...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
High Point, North Carolina
Reviewed May 25, 2014 via mobile

Inn is beautiful. It's historic charm is wonderful, but you need to be understanding of some of the limitations of an inn built in the 1800s. My wife and I got a room in the historic original building. Room was very nice, although the carpet could stand being replaced. Bathroom was cramped, but that is to be expected of an old structure. Decor in the common areas is good. The woodwork is beautiful.

Now the bad stuff. Hot water in my room had run out by 8:45 AM. Breakfast was from 8:00-10:00AM, but by 9:15, the kitchen was running out of items such as bacon and gravy. I ordered over easy eggs, but got scrambled eggs that appeared to be to bottom scrapings from the pan. The sausage was not good, either.

Staff was helpful and courteous. This could be one of the great historic inns of the south, but they have got to improve service. When you have an old inn that has certain physical limitations, you better make up for it with impeccable service, and right now that is not the case. It pains me to say that, because I have a love of places like this and consider it vital to protect and preserve them. I won't say not to stay here, but go into it with open eyes and a hope that service has improved.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple