“Step back in time!”

The Green Park Inn
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Blowing Rock
“Step back in time!”
Reviewed June 19, 2014

We came to the Green Park Inn for some post-holiday relaxation. It was a wonderful trip! The hotel is historic and beautiful. The piano player in the lobby was great and we enjoyed hanging out by the fireplace in the study. Rooms are small and you have to take the age of the place into consideration. Highly recommend for those who love old, historic places!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KimShort81

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Hendersonville, North Carolina
Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

You have to have stayed at a few of these types of places to know what to expect. This is not the Four Seasons and it's not Motel Six either. It's somewhere in between. The rooms are large with high ceilings, as you would expect and the bathrooms are small, as you would also suspect. I stayed in the old original building and they also have newer buildings so I cannot comment on them. Overall if you are looking for a change from Holiday Inn Express, I'd say give it a look but if you want new and improved, don't bother.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank acharlesb
Lexington, North Carolina
Reviewed June 2, 2014

We had a great weekend at Green Park. We were there for the murder mystery weekend. Keith and Margo do a great job. Rocco, the detective, is always the best part of the weekend. Green Park was a great place for the mystery. We had great food and fun. The Inn is so hospitable,and dog friendly, you feel like you're visiting an old friend! Greene Park Inn is an historic place full of warmth and charm.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Brenda H
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Murder Mystery USA by Keith and Margo held an event here May 30 thru June 1,2014 at the Green Park. What a perfect place for this event. Green Park has been remodeled but there is still the charm of a very Historic old hotel. The Lobby is very cozy and furnished beautifully. On the week-ends piano music is provided by a gentleman named Charlie Ellis. What a treat. I stepped over to The Bar. They have a large selection of beer, wine and liquor and it is pretty reasonably priced. The Library beside the Lobby is very relaxing and again furnished very nice. There is a grouping of chairs and sofa in front of the fireplace and I could picture folks relaxing by the fire with a good book. The Murder Mystery took place in the Garden Room and Patio. The Garden Room was spacious and accommodated our group of approximately 40 people very comfortably. Double Doors opened to the Patio. There were tables and chairs there among the natural area with plenty of flowering bushes. That is a nice spot to sit and have a drink while enjoying the outdoors. The Chef is Steve Birgel. He was very friendly and came out to make sure your food was good (and it was!). I had dinner in the Chestnut Grill. I ordered a chicken entree with a Caesar Salad and sautéed green beans. It was very delicious. And the Breakfast buffet was good too! My true test of a good breakfast is biscuits and gravy and I was not disappointed. There was fruit and yogurt as well as hot items, biscuits/gravy, eggs, bacon, sausage, and hash brown potatoes. If you went away hungry it was your own fault! The owners Eugene and Steve were there this weekend and were very happy to talk about the changes the hotel has recently gone through. I sensed a pride in their work to restore this wonderful historic Inn to its former glory. And I am saving the best for last .... pets are allowed ( there is a 40 lbs limit). The Manager Lorry brings her darling Polly (a gorgeous golden) to work and she (Polly) sometimes comes to the Check-in area to greet you. I Love It! This was my 1st visit but certainly not my last. I really love this beautiful old place and will go again. Please give it a try but keep in mind- it is still a work in progress. I think they are doing a beautiful job here and I hope they continue to put in the love and time it deserves.

Room Tip: I had a room overlooking the Blowing Rock Golf Course. My room was large and very comfortable. I enj...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
High Point, North Carolina
Reviewed May 25, 2014 via mobile

Inn is beautiful. It's historic charm is wonderful, but you need to be understanding of some of the limitations of an inn built in the 1800s. My wife and I got a room in the historic original building. Room was very nice, although the carpet could stand being replaced. Bathroom was cramped, but that is to be expected of an old structure. Decor in the common areas is good. The woodwork is beautiful.

Now the bad stuff. Hot water in my room had run out by 8:45 AM. Breakfast was from 8:00-10:00AM, but by 9:15, the kitchen was running out of items such as bacon and gravy. I ordered over easy eggs, but got scrambled eggs that appeared to be to bottom scrapings from the pan. The sausage was not good, either.

Staff was helpful and courteous. This could be one of the great historic inns of the south, but they have got to improve service. When you have an old inn that has certain physical limitations, you better make up for it with impeccable service, and right now that is not the case. It pains me to say that, because I have a love of places like this and consider it vital to protect and preserve them. I won't say not to stay here, but go into it with open eyes and a hope that service has improved.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank J4Justice
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed May 22, 2014

We were looking for a dog friendly spot in Blowing Rock that wasn't a traditional motel. Green Park for us proved to be lack luster. We had adjoining rooms with my parents - there room was lovely - new carpet, spacious and clean. Ours on the other hand had wallpaper peeling off the walls, decrepit old peeling windows that wouldn't open, curtains were thin and tatty, AC heat didn't work, old carpet (granted we had a dog, so I'm guessing that's why).

Bed was comfy though, but sleep isn't easy with the heavy clanking of pipes.

Meals were a hoot. The service was all over the place, and you could only laugh at the repeated incompetence and contradictory info give about food and wine and orders by the wait team. When the food did come we enjoyed it, although somewhat overpriced.

Disappointed that we got stuck with a shoddy room, having paid the same price as our other travelers. We paid extra to bring our dog, didn't expect to get the short end of the stick when it came to the quality of the room.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank CaronBee
Bristol, Tennessee
Reviewed May 15, 2014

We had both noticed this hotel while passing by & had always been curious about it. So, we decided to give it a chance. Wanted to stay somewhere different. We loved our experience at this unique hotel, starting with the friendly and welcoming staff & the house dog in the lobby. The ambiance is great at this inn. We arrived on a Sunday afternoon, just in time to sit on the veranda listening to music being played by the band. On Monday and our other weekday nights, it was a nice quiet & peaceful time. We loved being able to sit and talk in the rocking chairs listening to the wind chimes. The inn has personality and character, what a nice change from the normal chain type accommodations. We stayed in a spacious queen room and were very happy with the room, comfy bed & decor in general. Hotel staff were accommodating and friendly. We also liked walking around and exploring our surroundings during our stay. Its so close to many of the places we wanted to visit. If you are in doubt, I'd recommend. Between the historic details and friendly staff, complete with the interesting surroundings, we will return. Was a great vacation. We look forward to returning.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Karen V
GPIOwners, Front Office Manager at The Green Park Inn, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Thank you for giving us a chance! I'm glad you found your stay to be relaxing, and were able to go to our Music on the Veranda on Sunday. We just finished filling out our music schedule for the season, and are looking forward to more music and fun. The weekdays are very peaceful and a great time to visit. I'm happy that you were fond of the room and the historic charm. We'd love to see you again!