“Mexican in Blowing Rock”
Review of Mi Carreta Mexican Grille - CLOSED

Mi Carreta Mexican Grille
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Had dinner here on an overnight stay in the area. My husband had the carnitas and the meat was tender, but he felt the sauce was a little too "tomato-y". I had the chicken and beef taquitos which i though were pretty good. We also had rice and refried beans which were average. It was not the best mexican i have ever had, but we had a craving for mexican food and it satisfied our need. The server we had did not seem to speak english too well, I asked for a vodka tonic and he sent the host to our table to translate what drink i wanted and then when i got the drink it was vodka on the rocks.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Sorry, folks, but this ain't no Tex-Mex. Believe me, I know good T-M and this falls squarely in the category of Jaliscan style Mexican food. Nothing wrong with that necessarily, but the blandness of the cooking from the Guadalajara is very distinct. While this food must be fresh to succeed, my SO and I don't find it nearly as tasty as good Tex-Mex. As much as I'd like to upgrade these guys, our visit there found them overwhelmed with the crowd and generally seemingly displeased at our presence. The one bartender was busy serving tables outside the bar, so even beating a wait time with bar stools didn't really help. Chips were stale and soggy (truly, one was clearly half done at best), salsa was so-so and both our meals were average to below-average overall. I had the Arroz con Pollo, which was the better of the two, but was supposed to be bathed in mole sauce - and wasn't. I added a little of the very runny cheese dip to give the dish some added tang...SO had a combo platter which generally disappointed. I will say my cold mug of Dos Equis was excellent! So maybe go there to drink and watch Mexican soccer league but otherwise, if there's a Taco Bell type place nearby go there for the food.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

If you are in the High Country and you are achin' for some Mexigrub, then don't go to Boone, head out to Mi Carreta in Blowing Rock.

The quality of the food has always been top notch for me, from the variety of salsa's to the table made Quac. One of my favorite side dishes to order is the Salsa Verde, which is thick, spicy and delicious. The prices overall are decent, especially if you go at lunch. They usually have one of their more expensive dishes as a special (like the Volcanito), and I have never left the restaurant hungry.

My only real gripe is that the wait staff can sometimes be hit or miss. At times they are super attentive, fun and on the spot. Others...well, not so much. The food though, is great every time.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Stopped for a quick dinner after a long day of travel. Pleasantly surprised at the quality of food and service. The staff was busy but very welcoming. We would eat here again.

Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

We had a great lunch that cost $21 for two people. I had the chimichanga and my husband had arroyo con pollo. Both were delicious and plentiful. What I especially liked was the option of having the lunch menu on the weekend. Will go back again.