Chetola Resort at Blowing Rock
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Boxwood Lodge(Blowing Rock)
Meadowbrook Inn(Blowing Rock)
View Hotel
The Green Park Inn(Blowing Rock)
View Hotel
All reviewsbob timberlakebedroom condopaddle boatsoverlooking the lakeindoor poolping pongbreakfast buffetbeautiful groundsmoses coneget awaytanger outletshiking trailsthe main lodgewood burning fireplacechristmas lightsfull kitchenbit dated
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at Chetola resort in their condo's . Very nice furnishings and very clean . Good location to town and Boone . The grounds are beautifully kept . Very quiet . The restaurant on the premises was nice , but thought the food was a little overpriced . Ordered a petite filet and got 2- 1/4 inch thick slices the size of a half dollar ( maybe a silver dollar ) for 30.00 . It did have 4 tomatoes and 7 string beans ! Just not what I would have expected from such a nice place .

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chuck K
Reviewed October 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Chetola as part of the Appalachian State University Summer Music Festival package. We had eaten dinner at the Inn but had not stayed overnight. The grounds are lovely, but the room itself was no better than a standard room at the Holiday Inn, not truly what I would consider a "resort" room. The package included a complimentary breakfast buffet. The food was alright, but trying to find the dining room from the wing of the resort was a maze. I joked with my husband that we should leave bread crumbs to find our way back! The times for food and beverage service were a little confusing. It seemed we were always encountering locked doors. There are nice gas fire pits on the patio, but when my husband and I were enjoying a glass of wine out there after a concert (this was before 11 p.m.), the bar closed down with not a lot of notice from the staff. When we realized things were locked up, we just left our glasses on the patio table, figuring someone would pick them up in the morning. Again, the grounds are pretty, but for the money, I think there are better places to stay in the Blowing Rock/Boone area, and we travel there a lot.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SashinSC
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Took a friend's 2 week time share in 2 bedroom condo. Nice but dated. Went during Fall so 2 weeks was a bit boring. More to do in Summer. Leaves were gorgeous. Restaurant was very good but missed great. Not a hiker and the lake was beautiful, but not the right weather for hanging by the lake. There are weddings all weekend, so prepare to deal with the noise and the people. Handled well, though, and no big bother. Too slow paced for my tastes and a bit on the old side, but enjoyable for a week's stay at this time of year. Employees/service excellent. Location excellent. May well be nicest resort in the area.

Room Tip: Didn't see the lodge's rooms. Heated pool, sauna and jacuzzi a nice touch.
2  Thank Jo-Ellen A
Reviewed October 24, 2013

My groom and I live in Chicago but have family in NC, so after one visit to Chetola we decided to choose it as our venue for about 80 folks. I'm so glad we did - it was the most magical setting and I'm still smiling as I think about how much fun both families had. First of all, Kara and Jessica were great to work with on the events staff - also, the front desk is the friendliest crew we have ever met. Gorgeous setting, tasty food, lots of amenities for kids - the hubby and I could not have chosen a better setting. There was one issue when we checked in (the condo we were given had a fireplace that didn't work and some construction going on). At first, we were told that there were no other units available and we'd have to trade with another wedding guest - but then Corwin worked his magic and we were upgraded to a four-bedroom condo. It was the coolest condo I've ever stayed in. Any couples considering holding their wedding at Chetola should go for it - glad we did. We look forward to going back to visit with our future kids :)

Room Tip: The family of the bride stayed in Smokies #2 - it was amazing (as was Poplar #2)
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I booked two condos for family and friends at Chetola resort in August for an October 11-13 stay. Of course, this is peak leaf viewing season in the NC mountains, so the condos were pricey. We paid $540/night for the 3 bedroom unit and $350/night for the 1 bedroom unit. I did not see the 1 bedroom unit, but more on the 3 bedroom later....

First, the grounds at Chetola are beautiful and well maintained. It is a very family friendly resort and only minutes from downtown Blowing Rock. Very impressive resort on the drive up. Unfortunately, this is where the above average to excellent ends. The check-in process took 20 minutes and I was the only guest checking in. The staff seems confused and very poorly trained. The gentlemen at the front desk had a confrontation with a vendor while I was checking in, which was a first for me in all my travels. I asked for a reservation at Timberlake's restaurant, which he called for me. No answer.... his reply was that Timberlake's restaurant was the worst department at the resort. Not exactly a ringing endorsement. He promised to follow back up with the restaurant and call me back on my cell phone to confirm or to let me know of no availability. I never heard from him again.

Accomodations: As mentioned, we stayed in a 3 bedroom condo (Allegheny 5). The condo was spacious and quiet. The decor was quite nice, but you can certainly tell the unit is old. As common in mountain properties, the kitchen was dated. The living room sofa had a safety pin holding the fabric over the cushion (which I thought was very bad). Beds were comfortable. No wifi in the room although it was advertised as having wifi. Actually, it was kind of nice not to have wifi for a couple of days. Cell service with Verizon was also very bad in the unit. But, again, I got over it fast. All in all, I was ok with the unit, except for the safety pinned sofa.

Grounds: As I said, very nice and probably one of the nicest grounds in the area.

Timberlake Restaurant: I like Bob Timberlake's art/furniture and was very much looking forward to dining at Timberlake's for dinner. I am in no way a "food/wine snob"... but, the food was average at best. The service was below average. We waited for some time before our order was taken and food took some time to come out. Before we received our food, the hostess came up to the table and asked if we wanted dessert menus. It seems odd to feel like service was slow, but we were being rushed. However, this is the vibe the staff gave to us. The check was also incorrect when it arrived, which took some time to fix.

Timberlake's is the only restaurant on the resort, so they have breakfast there too. The staff recommended the buffet. It was a total disaster. The buffet area is very enclosed and crowded and poorly designed. Granted, there was a wedding party having breakfast on Sat. a.m., but that should not have been a surprise to the staff. They ran out of plates which took them about 10 minutes to replace. I had two 8-year olds with me and they both wanted an omelette. Put their order in and waited. The omelette chef proceeded to make omelettes for 5 other guests that ordered after the kids. Finally, had to say something to him.

There are a lot of very nice restaurants in Blowing Rock. Save yourself the heartache and try those. If Bob Timberlake knew what was going on at the restaurant bearing his name, I cannot imagine he would be very happy....

Area: Very nice, but crowded (which we knew it would be this time of year). We went to Grandfather Mountain during the day and the Ghost Train at Tweetsie Railroad on Sat. night. Both very cool and worth a visit.... especially Ghost Train if you have kids. Warning on Ghost Train though - be prepared for at least a 90 minute wait to ride.

Overall Impression: We had a nice time with family and friends and going up to the NC Mountains this time of year is fantastic. Next year, we will definitely be staying elsewhere. Maybe the rooms at the lodge at Chetola are nicer, but for the price, I imagine there are better accommodations in the area. It is a shame, because again, the grounds are so fabulous.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
ChetolaResort, Director of Marketing at Chetola Resort at Blowing Rock, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Thank you for bringing these matters to our attention. First, we would like to apologize for any inconveniences you experienced during your recent stay at Chetola. Allow us to take a moment to address a few of your concerns.

October weekends in the mountains are busy. In fact, leaf season is the busiest time of the year. However, even with the crowds, we recognize that 20 minutes is an excessive amount of time needed to check in. We are addressing this issue with our Front Desk Manager to assure this doesn’t happen again. In addition, the Front Desk makes many restaurant reservations for guests during the check-in process and we apologize if yours wasn’t handled in a professional manner. However, we believe there is a misunderstanding regarding the comment you heard from the Front Desk employee that “Timberlake’s Restaurant was the worst department at the resort.” When he was asked about this comment, he said he was simply indicating that Timberlake’s Restaurant is the most difficult department to reach in the afternoon because it is not open for lunch. And regarding the incident of a confrontation between the Front Desk employee and a vendor, the employee has no recollection of any confrontation with a vendor, as vendors do not sign in at the Front Desk and most especially on a Friday afternoon. Is it possible that the employee was giving instructions to a fellow staff member in our Grounds or Maintenance departments?

Please also know that we have notified the owner of the condominium about the tear in the sofa cushion and we are taking care of it. Thank you for bringing that to our attention.

To address your breakfast concerns, we did have a large wedding party of close to 200 staying at the resort during your stay and a large contingent did indeed come in for breakfast. We custom-made more than 170 omelets that morning and the restaurant manager said, in hindsight, we should have scheduled another Omelet Chef. That sentiment also holds true for dinner, as the manager agrees that additional staff would have alleviated delays in service. He will also be addressing specific service issues with his staff. The breakfast scheduling issue arose because most of the wedding guests were staying in condominiums and typically, because condominiums have their own kitchens, our condominium guests prepare their own breakfast. To have this many condominium guests is highly unusual as most of our breakfast guests are staying in Chetola Lodge and The Bob Timberlake Inn and only a handful, relatively speaking, come from condominiums. We have spoken with the Omelet Chef and he regrets that you did not inform him of your displeasure at the time because he would have done whatever he could to expedite your children’s order.

Finally, as for your comment that “if Bob Timberlake knew what was going on at the restaurant bearing his name, I cannot imagine he would be very happy…”, Bob Timberlake was actually staying at Chetola that weekend and had dinner Friday night and breakfast Saturday morning at Timberlake’s. Bob is extremely proud of Timberlake’s Restaurant and his partnership with Chetola Resort. He would also apologize for any inconvenience you experienced but would hope that this experience would not prevent a return visit.