“Beautiful Vistas at Chetola”

Chetola Resort at Blowing Rock
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Blowing Rock
Reviewed August 6, 2011

This was my third stay at the Chetola resort and each time I visit this mountain area it always seem to call me back. The Chetola resort has a beautiful park like setting that on the drive into the resort wraps around a very nice lake. The resort is nestled all around the hills with several different lodging options. This visit I stayed in the main lodge, it very cozy and comfortable. The rooms are spacious and have great views from the deck. Looking out onto the lake in front of the lodge is very picturesque. The main issue on this stay was the hot water, it takes quite a long time to get to your room for whatever reason. Several other people have commented on this and several people in our group also experienced this issue as well. The rooms are a little pricey, but this is easy to forget as you settle into the resort and the area with all of the natural wonder all around you. Will definitely be back at some point in the future.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank orccim
There are newer reviews for Chetola Resort at Blowing Rock

Reviewed August 4, 2011

My first trip to Chetola Resort won't be my last--I loved it! We stayed in a hillside room in the Manor House for a quick one-night trip. The room was very nice--beds comfortable with great pillows and a nice down blanket. We used the pool/spa area for relaxing and reading. The outside deck was shaded in the afternoon and had a great mountain breeze blowing. After dinner that evening, we returned to the resort to the pub and had a glass of wine. We were able to take our wine to the pavilion that overlooks the lake and have conversation with fabulous views in the quiet. The folks manning reception were very friendly and helpful. We did not have a chance to take advantage of the paddleboats on the lake. Hope to go back sometime and experience more of the resort's amenities and peacefulness.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gabysab
Reviewed August 2, 2011

Time shares are in poor repair. Staff is not responsive and does not seem to care. Probably callous due to all of the complaints they receive.

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank Skytraveler9
ChetolaResort, Public Relations Manager at Chetola Resort at Blowing Rock, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2011

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Chetola Resort. Please allow us to respond back regarding your comments about timeshare units. Improvements and upgrades to timeshare units are determined and approved by a property owner's association. While Chetola is responsible for maintaining services for these units, the property owner's association authorizes upgrades and enhancements to the units. Our Property Manager would like to pass along your specific concerns to the association and would be very appreciative if you would get in touch with him at propertymg@chetola.com. He will present this information to the association so they may address the issues as soon as possible.

Please accept our sincere apologies if our staff was inattentive, rude or callous. We have discussed your comment wiith our Front Desk and Guest Services staff. We are committed to providing you with a satisfying stay at Chetola and hope you will give us the opportunity to do so on a future visit.

Thank you.

Chetola Management

Reviewed August 1, 2011

We had a 1 bedroom condo at top of the hill facing the mountains. View was fantastic and the cool breezes were very refreshing. The resort grounds are beautifully maintained and we enjoyed several walks along the small lake on the grounds. The fitness center has a pool, ping pong table, whirlpool, sauna and a nice workout room. My wife and I had a great time and look forward to going back again.

Room Tip: Talk directly with staff to get better rates. We were able to get one night free which was not adve...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jbjdaman
Reviewed July 30, 2011

The property and the rooms are very nice. The staff are great and the area has a lot of fun things to do.

If you are a fly fisher get them to arrange a trip to the Refuge, amazingly huge trout.

The one exception is, even though the rooms are very nice, you have to wait for up to 20 minutes for hot water in your room.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Bob Timberlake Inn, not the B&B or the condos. Zak was great in helping us get...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank wlf_8
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We stayed at this resort in June 2010 after visiting Tweetsie Railroad. We stayed in the lodge so all the amenities were conveniently located. We had a beautiful view of the pond and had a fun time walking the trails and watching the amazing swans! Our daughter loved every minute of it, especially going out for a paddle boat ride. It was also nice that we could walk to the Tanger Outlets from a trail from the resort. We ate at the Manor House one evening and (although short staffed) the food was amazing. I indulged while visiting and made a trip to the spa located onsite. I consider myself a seasoned spa goer and have to say I was not impressed with my treatments. I got a massage/facial combo and was less than pleased with both. The common area of the spa is very nice and cozy but I didn't hang around since my family was waiting for our next adventure. Indoor pool was great! All in all, a great place to stay for some quality family time.

Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank tpatton9999
Reviewed July 27, 2011

My husband and I rented a 1 bedroom, 1 bath condo for 4 nights. (Our two daughters were at sleep away camp so it was only the two of us.) We were very pleased with the condo itself, and with the resort location, grounds, and spa. I can't comment on the resort restaurants because we had breakfast and lunch at our condo each day, and dinner at our condo for 2 nights and at restaurants in town for 2 nights.

The hiking in the area is fabulous. You could stay for a month, hike every day, and never go to the same place twice. Hikes of all different levels are available, all with beautiful nature - waterfalls or views or both. A few even with wheelchair access!

The town of Blowing Rock is wonderful and is a 10 minute uphill walk from the resort which we enjoyed, but you do have to be a bit fit to walk to it. (We walked into town each day but drove to dinner our last night.)

On the last afternoon of our stay, I did a 2-hour Spa treatment. A mountain scrub followed by a facial. I really enjoyed the spa. For me it was perfect, relaxing and comfortable, but not snooty. Diana was the person who did my treatments and I will ask for her next time - she was fabulous.

The only "could have been better" comment I can make is that the air conditioners where right below our balcony and, since it was unusually hot on the East coast the days we were there, even in the mountains, the ACs were running almost constantly so we didn't get to enjoy the quiet nature sounds that we had been looking forward to. However, we expect that it is unusual for the ACs to be running so often.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple