“Great Coffee Shop” 5 of 5 bubbles

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great Coffee Shop”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

Driving back to Boone from the Blue Ridge Parkway and passed by Doc's Rocks and saw the coffee shop. Great service. Great coffee. Great staff. Great little coffee shop. The Caramel Latte was excellent and my wife had a wonderful hot chocolate. We love pet friendly places like this. We brought our Maltese Pups in and spent an hour chatting with the friendly staff.

We highly recommend you stop in beside the Gem Mine and have a cup of coffee.

Grovetown, Georgia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Nice Staff - Fun for Kids”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

We went to Doc's Rocks based on tripadvisor reviews and couldn't be happier. The kids say this was one of their favorite parts of the trip! We also found some fabulous gems. I did have an emerald cut, as it is my birthstone, and will be taking it to a local jeweler for appraisal. The staff took the time to describe all the stones, go over things with the kids, and tell us how they get them from all over the appalacians. It was a great experience and would recommend.

Visited November 2012
Fort Worth, Texas
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Fun Gem Mine for family”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

We went with our two young children (both under 4) and had a great time. We even left with two polished gems will put into jewelry when we return home. Not sure of the real value, but it was fun and a nice memory. any time you walk away with a saphire, is a good time in my book.

Visited October 2012
Wilmington, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Fun and Educational”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

I've been to Doc's Rocks twice, and enjoyed it both times. The first time three other girlfriends and I were looking for something to do on a rainy day while our husbands stayed behind at our rented cabin. The four of us ladies had so much fun. We each bought a small $10 bucket to go through, and even with the small bucket it took us about 45 minutes. We were assisted by a staff member, Tyler, who made sure we didn't throw anything away that we shouldn't. We found a lot of gems from our $10 buckets. Once you're done going through your dirt you bring your rocks inside to find out exactly what you have. Tyler not only told us what the gemstones were, but also gave us a lot of interesting information about each.
I went with my husband about a year later when we were in the area. We decided to split a $30 bucket. There were two female staff members outside to help assist us, but they really weren't very helpful. They just stood and waited for us to bring our full sifters over so they could go through it, and make sure we weren't going to dump anything we shouldn't. The first time I went Tyler would pick out even the little tiny emeralds and garnets that I had overlooked, but I guess since they aren't really worth anything the girls just assumed we wouldn't want them and dumped the dirt. My husband and I were coming to the bottom of our bucket when a male staff member came out, and walked over to see how we were doing. He looked inside the buckets we were putting our gems in, and then went back inside. He came back a moment later with one of their $10 buckets. He told us they'd really like for us to find more than we did with the $30 bucket we bought, and because we hadn't he was giving us a $10 bucket to look through for free. I thought this was fantastic. I feel like their staff members really care about what you find, and how you're doing (other than the two girls we were stuck with). When we went inside to have our gems looked at we got a different male staff member. It was obvious how much he loves his job, and he really enjoyed telling us everything he could about what we found. We left with some nice gems including three nice sized rubies, and two sapphires. I recommend Doc's Rocks to anyone I know who mentions going to visit the Boone area. I definitely plan on going again, it's just a matter of talking my husband into going. He thinks I'm obsessed.

Visited June 2012
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“A fun surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

We went in to enjoy the store, which is great to explore, and then tried our hand at mining with a small bucket. I expected the activity to be for small children, but noticed adults of every age enjoying it. One bucket led to another. It was a blast. And then a treat to learn about each of our finds. We skipped the add-on offer to cut the rocks into gems. We're very happy with our beautiful stones and enjoyed the process of "mining" them.

Visited October 2012