“Blue Ridge Parkway”

Holiday Inn Express Blowing Rock South
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Blowing Rock
Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

Excellent customer service provided by Byron! Clean room, nice sized room! Convenient to Blue Ridge Parkway! We plan to go to Grandfather Mtn & it's a very accessible hotel! Restaurants nearby hotel! Great base hotel if you are traveling the Blue Ridge Pkwy!
Definitely recommend! :)

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
hiexpressbr, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Blowing Rock South, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2014

Missy N
Thank you for the review of our hotel. I am pleased to hear that you had a great stay with us. I will make sure I pass your kind words on to Byron. I am glad that you also got to enjoy this beautiful area and some of the local attractions. Thanks again for staying with us, we truly appreciate it.
Hope to see you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Blowing Rock South

Reviewed June 26, 2014

My husband, a friend and I stayed here (two rooms) for two nights to enjoy the mountain scenery & activities. We have previously enjoyed staying here and this HIE was as nice as ever. The front desk staff are pleasant and helpful, rooms are good-sized & clean, plus nice selection of breakfast foods. This hotel is close to the Blue Ridge Parkway and the shops and restaurants of the small town of Blowing Rock. We look forward to returning!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
hiexpressbr, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Blowing Rock South, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2014

EileenO
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us once again. I am also pleased to hear that your enjoyed the Blur Ridge Parkway and the surrounding area during your stay. Thanks again for staying with us, we truly appreciate it. Hope to see you again soon.
PS The fall is a great time to visit with the fall foliage, or the winter for the skiing.

Reviewed June 26, 2014

The lobby is attractive and spacious. There is a connected room adjacent to where the front desk is and it looks almost like a "living room" with comfy couch and lamps on tables and a computer desk. The breakfast room is large and can accommodate alot of people which is a good thing because it was very, very crowded every morning and sort of chaotic with so many people trying to get food at the same time. There was quite a large array of hot and cold foods and beverages.
The beds and pillows were comfortable and there were nice room darkening drapes to keep out morning light. The air conditioner looked newish. Only trouble was that it blows right onto the beds when you're sleeping. There was a microwave, fridge, and coffee maker which we always find useful and is one of the features we use to determine where we'll stay.

Now for the longer list of detractors:

The pool area and even into the guest room hallway have very strong, unsafe chlorine fumes.
There is no bathroom fan; the ventilation is shared by a central duct.
The wi-fi was very slow.
The guest rooms are dark. Way too much energy saving going on here! Hard to see or read by even with every light in the room on.
Black mildew along the interior shower edges.
Shower rod falling out of the wall.
Closet rack coming loose from the wall too ready to fall out on someone's head.
Window don't open so you can't get fresh air.
The hair dryer didn't work.
Low flow toilet too low flow. Took a long time to hold down lever just so to make it flush.

Not sure if we would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Goose007

Goose007
Thank you for the review of our hotel. We appreciate the feedback. I apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay. I would like for you to contact me in a private email at hiexpressbr@gmail.com so I can discuss this with you and find out which room you ere in so I can get my maintenance supervisor in the room and get these issues resolved. Thanks again for staying with us, we truly appreciate it.

Reviewed June 25, 2014

I didn't expect a good hotel to be in the middle of nowhere, but this place is very nice. Front desk is very friendly, they made sure to recognize Platinum status (the welcome snack was a very tasty trail mix-not salty, not sugary, I actually finished it instead of throwing away the usual IHG welcome snacks:-)
Room was nice, clean, with a gazillion of channels on TV. Sound proofing was good, didn't hear any noise from hallways or other rooms. One minor thing...the toilet lid must have been designed by a woman as it does not stay up...makes it a for a slightly inconvenient experience for a man?;-) Coffee and tea are offered complimentary 24 hours, although I couldn't drink that coffee being almost cold at 3pm. There is a Starbucks in Boone's Harris Teeter if you need a cup of coffee.
The hotel is very close to the Blue Ridge Parkway, which is awesome for scenic driving, walking trails etc.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and got to enjoy the beautiful area surrounding our hotel. I am also pleased to hear that you found the staff friendly and helpful. I apologize for the cold coffee. We try to keep it fresh and hot. If brought to the attention of the desk clerks they would have made you a fresh pot. Thanks again for staying with us, we truly appreciate it. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

Booked at the last minute, a little concerned because of some of the reviews. I was very pleased though. Very convenient location near lots of restaurants and things to see. It does overlook the lowe's but didn't really bother me, the mountains were still viewable in the distance. Room was very clean, pool was clean. We were on the third floor office side and had a balcony, not all the rooms do. Shower was hot and forceful, clean fluffy towels. Minimal noise between rooms, a little road noise creeps in. Breakfast was good: pancakes, eggs, sausage and all the other usual options, banana's and apples. Staff was fine, the woman who signed us in was particularly pleasant. I definitely would return.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Hgm909
Reviewed June 19, 2014

We stopped here while passing through on our way north. Chose this one over the one in Boone because it was 2/3 the cost and is basically the same hotel. Front staff was exceptionally courteous and friendly. The room was very clean and beds comfortable. Liked having the fridge, microwave and computer desk. The front desk clerk also gave us a room away from the elevators which we appreciated. Good breakfast as well.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Layli N
hiexpressbr, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Blowing Rock South, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2014

Thank you for the review of our hotel. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am also pleased to hear that the staff was able to accommodate your needs. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the room and the area. Thanks again for staying with us, we truly appreciate it.
Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed June 19, 2014

HEI has been excellent both times we have stayed, Breakfast is fantastic. rooms are very comfortable, great location to BR, Boone & Blue Ridge parkway. Work out room is OK and indoor pool is good, Great place to stay with children, and good eating places nearby.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo

Thank you for the review of our hotel. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us once again. I am pleased to hear that you were able to relax and enjoy the area and facilities here at the hotel.
Thanks again for staying with us, we truly appreciate it.
Hope to see you again soon,