“Mediocre”

Holiday Inn Express Blowing Rock South
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Blowing Rock
Reviewed August 28, 2013

This hotel did the job I guess, as we just needed a place to crash for the night and intended to get up very early in the morning to go hiking but I was really not impressed.

The continental breakfast was just okay (the hard-boiled eggs were much too cold in my opinion, and I the selection was very small compared to hotel breakfasts I have seen in the past). I "upgraded" from a room with two queens to a room with a king, and I thought the room was very small and I regretted paying the extra $5. My biggest complaint is that the carpet in our room was wet! I didn't notice when we first checked in, but after dinner when we went to settle in for the night the floor felt disgusting on my feet. I think it was not dirty, but wet from being cleaned... but it was a very unpleasant tactile sensation either way and I had to wear shoes around the room for the whole night until the moment I actually got into bed to sleep. Very annoying. The bathroom was pretty small and the toilet was tucked back under the counter which meant the seat would not stay up. I don't really think that is a big deal, but my boyfriend fount it to be a mild annoyance and a lot of other reviewers here seem to really hate that too.

I think the next time we go to Blowing Rock I would rather pay more money for one of the many places within walking distance of downtown Main Street.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
hiexpressbr, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Blowing Rock South, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

Dear Chelsea B.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your comments. We are sorry to hear you had a less than pleasant stay with us. The items you have mentioned will be addressed with the director or maintenence and the breakfast bar supervisor. As for the the toilet seats not staying up I have addressed this problem with the owner and we are looking at a way to correct this issue.
Again, we regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel and hope to offer you a more pleasant stay in the future. Please contact me at ihgexpressbr@gmail.com

Reviewed August 23, 2013

First time to this hotel . We booked a King room and were very surprised at how large and beautiful the room was for the price. The décor. down to the linens were coordinated. Our room had no less than five lamps plus ceiling lights. We have traveled and booked many rooms in our life time and this by far was one of the best. The hotel staff are all friendly and keep the place very clean. The morning breakfast was good and again the hostesses were very friendly. We had a great experience at this hotel and would book again.

1  Thank nan c
hiexpressbr, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Blowing Rock South, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

nanc861

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We know you have many choices when choosing a hotel so we appreciate and value your feedback.
Thanks sgain for staying with us, we truly appreciate it.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights in August. I booked this hotel online mainly based on the good price (67.00 a night) & reviews. I have to say that it actually exceeded my expectations. The staff was very friendly and the rooms were clean. We had a room on the 3rd floor on the backside of the motel with a view of the mountains. It was quiet & peaceful. The room black out curtains did an excellent job of keeping the room dark while sleeping. You could close the curtains and not tell if it was 11:00pm or 11:00am. The beds were very comfortable. My wife and daughter said they slept the best away from home that they had in a long time. The free breakfast had an excellent variety. It had everything from sausage and eggs to bagels and cereal. We left around 10:00am each day to go out and see the sights and when we would return around 7:00 or 8:00pm, the room had been cleaned and made up by the maid service. The room had a microwave & small refrigerator which was very convienient. There are several restaurants within a mile or so of the hotel. We ate at the mexican restaurant about 3 doors down which was very good. If you are looking for fast food (other than subway close by) you will have to drive the 8 miles to Boone. As for the negative reviews that I have read on here, all I can say is that you can't please 100% of the people all the time and some people you just can't please no matter what you do! My family & I think we made a great decision by choosing this hotel and we would have no problem choosing it again! Thanks for a great experience and keep up the good work!

Room Tip: 3rd floor room on the back is quiet & has a nice view
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Rob T
hiexpressbr, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Blowing Rock South, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Rob T.

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am pleased to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and that you feel you received great service. It's something our staff takes great pride in, so we value your feedback. We will be sure to pass your kind words along to the entire staff.

Thanks again for staying with us, we truly appreciate it.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Stayed here as part of our annual bike trip to the States. Came into Boone NC but were unable to get a room. The HI in Boone always seems to be booked. Front desk staff were friendly and helpful. Room was nice, 1st floor at the back. Parked the bikes in the large lot to the rear of the hotel which was well lit. They actually have a bikes only parking area right in front of the hotel and in view of the staff if you want to use it. They will also give you some rags etc to clean your bike if you ask. Nice view of the mountains. Beds were comfortable. Breakfast area was nice, 24 hour coffee. You can be back on the Blue Ridge in less than 5 minutes. We will stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
hiexpressbr, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Blowing Rock South, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Thank you for the review of our hotel. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I'm pleased that your found the staff friendly and motorcyle friendly. We try to accommodate everyone and make them feel welcome. Thanks again for staying with us, we truly appreciate it.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

Didnot like the hotel.
Personal was friendly enough but with little bit stuck up
Little crampy room ...
Everything outside is big but inside the hotel little.
Didnot feel like holliday inn to me
No more blowing rock for us

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
hiexpressbr, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Blowing Rock South, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Dear Amerikafan53
Thank you very much for taking the to write about your comments. We are sorry to hear that you did not like our hotel or the Blowing Rock area . I am sorry that you feel our staff was a little stuck up, normally we get lots of compliments about how friendly and helpful our staff is. I'm sorry you found the rooms small and not what you expected from a Holiday Inn Express. I hope that you will give us another try should your travels bring you back to the area. We do appreciate your feedback and depend on our guest to let us know what we can do to make your stay more enjoyable.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Not exactly a Hampton Inn but a good deal for the price. Room was clean, which is my main concern. Negatives were no exhaust fan in the bathroom and the commode lid wouldn't stay up which made things uncomfortable for my husband. Had a light bulb burnt out in the entrance to our room and it was fixed promptly. Nine year old loved the pancake machine and breakfast included fruit which was nice. Overall not a bad place to stay, beds were not the most comfortable either but again, for the price you couldn't beat it.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
hiexpressbr, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Blowing Rock South, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Linda B
Thank you so much for the review of our hotel. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. we know you have lots of choices when it comes to lodging so we appreciate your feedback. We are trying to address the issue with the toilet seats and the vent fans for the bathrooms. Thanks again for staying with us, we truly appreciate it.

hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Very motorcycle friendly, as many of the guests are riding the Blue Ridge Parkway. Excellent staff, very helpful. The only drawback, no hot tub. After a long day riding, a hot tub would.have been really nice.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Charles J
hiexpressbr, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Blowing Rock South, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

cjewe104
Thank you for your review of our hotel.We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to seeing your again soon.