“One Step Up From a Tent”

Super 8 Black Mountain
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Black Mountain
Deltona, FL
“One Step Up From a Tent”
Reviewed October 22, 2009

Our original intent was to camp. This hotel was the next step up in price and we wanted beds, heat, and a shower. That is what we got. Cons: Not very clean. Kids socks turned black and sticky walking on carpet in room. Strong musty/moldy smell in room. Bathroom not cleaned well- hairs in tub and on floor that I had to clean.Ceiling falling in in shower. View of mountains from back but shanty houses at far end of parking lot across field in the view. Pros: Mountain view. Nice little mountain town for shopping and dining withing walking distance. Small stream in front of hotel. Free Wi-Fi internet access. Pleasant staff who quieted down the loud drunk bikers partying on the landing outside their room a few doors down. Overall impression: You get what you pay for. I got this room for $47 per night. The campground was $35. I wanted a roof, heat, toilet and shower. The campground wouldn't have been any cleaner so I guess it worked out. I would probably get something nicer if I could afford it.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Reviewed August 13, 2009

Our rooms were not ready upon our arrival and the hotel manager was rude, told us to come back , telling me that's what happens when you book online, which I hadn't done in the first place. Also, they never even serviced our rooms, and we all stayed 2 nights. (We were in a wedding party of 6 families.)

The electrical outlets in the room looked like they had shorted out and posed as a potential fire-threat. The refrigerator didn't work and the manager told us he would get us one in the morning. We did get one that evening only due to reason that we were carrying diabetic supplies that needed refrigeration. And when it was delivered they left the old one in the room, so we lost some floor space.

They didn't have enough towels at the motel, despite the fact that there is a swimming pool and it was very hot weather. Also the manager did not want to supply a family member with an extra measly bar of soap.

Overall, the management was rude, the service was poor, and the rooms are in run-down condition.

Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Black Mountain hotels

Reviewed August 12, 2009

This past weekend we had a wedding to attend in Montreat, so all the family coming in decided to stay here. There was a total of 21 of us with 6 rooms. Upon arrival, I was shocked about how musty the room smelled. The room was dingy. The management was not that friendly. We arrived on Friday, and on Sat a man came to our room and even though he couldn;t speak much english, we could tell he wanted our dirty towels. We all left for the wedding, and when we returned, our rooms had not been cleaned. We were told that the DO NOT DISTURB signs were out on each of our doors. Kind of funny, since we were all next to each other. Also, they did not replenish the towels. When we went to the front desk to ask for them, we were told that people coming in today would get the towels and whatever was left that we could get. Now we paid almost $150 per family to stay here, and we had no clean towels for sat and sun. The best part of the hotel was the pool. If you want to stay here, remember to pack you some towels. I told my husband that we survived the Bates Motel this weekend on our way home. The place has really went down hill. Also, the Breakfast consisted of muffins, stale cereal, milk and juice. Not a very good deal, and I feel like Super 8 should be ashamed to call this one of theirs.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed August 9, 2009

After reading reviews on this site and others, I booked a king size room at this hotel with some trepidation. I was in town for a funeral, so I reasoned I wouldn't be in the room that much. While I will agree that some of the room showed some wear (scuff marks on the wall and a burn hole in the blanket) the room and bathroom were IMMACULATELY CLEAN. Never have I stayed in a reasonably priced hotel that was so clean. The microwave and refrigerator (that worked perfectly) were a nice touch. The room was quiet, the air conditioning was wonderful, the staff was friendly and efficient. The television signal wasn't all that great but passable and it appears the remote was a chew toy for a previous visitor LOL...neither of which ruined my stay in any way. I absolutely would recommend and stay at this hotel again. My only complaint was about the area...arriving back to my room later in the evening, I didn't realize the sidewalks were rolled up, so it was a bit of a chore to find something to eat, but there was a Pizza Hut nearby open till 11.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank CyndeDawn
Reviewed August 9, 2009

VERY UNPLEASANT EXPERIENCE. Desk clerk (Melissa) was real gruff as we tried to check in to our room at 2PM, told us checkin wasn't until 3. I have a hard time believing NO rooms are ready at up til 2:59 then at 3, magically, ALL the rooms are ready. When we got back at 2:30, as she suggested, she had a line that she was checking in, including people who had no reservation.

Our reservation was "Prepaid" by the father of the Bride, who is a friend and we were there to photograph her wedding for her as a favor. After we finally got checked in, we put our baggage in the room and went to photograph the rehersal and dinner. When we returned to the room at 8PM, we had been locked out and were told that the credit card they were given was declined (Remember it was PREPAID and at time of checkin the clerk acknowledged it) After some negotiation we were alllowed to get our baggge and leave. I am sure room was rerented BUT next day Father of the Bride was called and asked where he wanted copy of charge sent

THEY locked us out, rerented the room, AND charged hime for it - THEY ARE CROOKS

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NcJohn
Tennessee
Reviewed December 7, 2008

We stayed at the Super 8 hotel after Black Mountain's Holly Jolly Christmas festival. The hotel was clean, with an outside entrance only. Our room was large with a king size bed, a sleeper sofa, mini refrigerator, microwave, and a coffee pot. It is definately an older hotel - there were a few scuff marks on the walls and the comforter and curtains were a bit dated. The room was clean; the bed linens and towels/washcloths were snow white, the carpet was clean and the room had an overall pleasant/fresh smell. We would consider staying here again if we get the opportunity to visit Black Mountain. The only thing that causes me to say that I might not stay here would be the fact that Asheville is only a few minutes drive away and has tons more options of hotels and restaurants.
The town/community is very quaint. We enjoyed the Holly Jolly Christmas festival very much; all of the shop owners/employees were very friendly, whether or not we purchased anything from their business.

• Liked — Clean
  • Disliked — Exterior entrance
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank kbaby58
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed November 2, 2008

I asked the woman at the desk if I could see the room before actually checking in and she gave me the key. It didn't work and I told her so, but since I didn't want to walk back to try again I agreed to register. She returned the key to me, but when I went back to the room it still didn't work. Back again to the front desk and back again to the room in the woman's company to check the key. The substitute was a room over the driveway atop the area that projects over the registration entry. Well, it was plenty cold up there with freezing air beneath the floor of the room and we left early the next day because of our discomfort. Sometime during the night something bit my leg and I had a one inch diameter welt.. On the plus side, the king bed was comfortable and the motel was quiet. Another negative- a strong smell of wood smoke entered the room and was annoying for hours.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
#38 of 63 in Asheville
Arbor House of Black Mountain
Arbor House of Black Mountain
#1 of 8 in Black Mountain

Been to Super 8 Black Mountain? Share your experiences!