“Good food, a bit old fashioned”

The Red Rocker Inn Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
United States
“Good food, a bit old fashioned”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

We tried this restaurant for our anniversary. The food was tasty, well cooked with good flavours. The server brought complimentary biscuits with house made apple butter. They were good, but not the best I've ever eaten. For a starter, we had the smoked salmon on flatbread. I had hoped the salmon would be more smoky, because that's what I really like about smoked salmon. But it was still good. For the main course, I had the Lentil Walnut Cake. Sometimes vegetarian options can be boring and limited, so I appreciated something different. The Lentil Walnut Cake was fabulous. My husband had the special Tilapia dish and he said it was very good as well. All entrees are served with your choice of two sides. The sides for the evening were sauteed green beans, mashed potatoes, grits, and creamed corn. I had the green beans and mashed potatoes which were both good. The food here is homey, and a little old fashioned, nothing fancy, but still tastes better than what mom or grandma could make.

There were plenty of desserts to choose from and they all sounded great. I opted for the Brownie Hot Fudge Sundae since I had been craving one for a while. It was very sweet, but also very good, and just the right size.

The Red Rocker Inn is located in a neighbourhood, and sitting on the enclosed porch looking out at the neighbourhood almost seemed like being at home, or the home of a relative. This isn't what I would call "fine dining." It is southern, a bit casual and country, but not overly casual. The dining area is on an enclosed porch. The floor was slanty with some outdated red carpet. It was comfortable, not elegant, even though there are tablecloths. Most of the clientele were retirees and the elderly. When the sun was still shining, it was a comfortable place to dine. As it grew dark, the overhead lights did start to seem like harsh porch lighting.

Service was very good. Although our server was new, service was not lacking. She was very friendly and attentive but not intrusive. Prices are comparable for the area.

• Visited May 2014
redrocker07, Owner at The Red Rocker Inn Restaurant, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Hi! Thanks for all the great comments. I did want to mention one thing that you'll be happy about. Soon after your visit, we did some renovations in the restaurant. The old sloping porch floor (once built to shed rainwater) is now leveled and the old red carpet is gone!! We have replaced it with GORGEOUS carpet in a Persian pattern that is beautifully in style with this historic home. You'll need to come back and see it! Thanks again so much for the review

Baltimore, Maryland, United States
“Good meal BUT....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2014

I took a large group to this Restaurant that had been recommended to me. Overall the experience was delightful EXCEPT do not order their steak. Very grisly! However reading other comments others had said the same about the steak! Maybe they should change butchers or delete it from their menu! That was the impression of all who had gotten this meal. However, I had the trout and it was EXCELLENT! Others who had pot roast said it too was EXCELLENT. The dessert to die for! The place is pretty and the service is EXCELLENT. I would recommend it to anyone who wants a pleasant dining experience. Would I go back there again.....most definitely! GREAT value also!

• Visited May 2014
Conover, North Carolina
“A great place to stay and dine”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

Second time for us and it was fantastic. Great service and food. We came up for Valentine's day weekend and stayed in the B&B and had dinner in the restaurant. The staff was so knowledgeable and courteous they really made us fell at home. The food was first class and the price was very reasonable.

Visited February 2014
St. Augustine, Florida
“Perfect Rehearsal Dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

January 3rd 2014, My wife and I had a rehearsal dinner for my son and daughter in law. The owners Doug and Jenny were very friendly an acommodating. Their goal was to make our dinner perfect for our guests. They did. We had a nice menu of five entrees including a vegetarian option (pot roast and trout were our favorite). The food and service was excellent- eight different homemade deserts to choose from and the best biscuits and apple butter I have ever had. My wife and I were very pleased and received many compliments from our guests about the food and waiters. Thank you Doug and Jenny for making our dinner so special. Truly a memorable evening. God bless you and your business. The Cheney's.

• Visited January 2014
3 Thank jcheney2014
Black Mountain, North Carolina
“far from best in town”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

We expected much better. The steak was gristly; trout flavorless; greens tough. This was to be a romantic dinner for two, so we didn't welcome a chatty waiter.

We won't go back. There are much better restaurants in town.

• Visited December 2013