“Room with a view”

Arbor House of Black Mountain
Reviewed May 19, 2012

This B and B looks directly on a small mountain lake; 2 of the 4 rooms look directly onto the lake with the mountains beyond. Our room, Graybeard, had one wall full of windows to enjoy the garden below and the lake nearby. As the property borders the lake, you can walk out the back gate to the popular lake walking path.
The house is fairly new although decorated in a fairly traditional manner, which we found welcoming and convenient in terms of layout. In the Greybeard room, there is a huge whirlpool tub and separate shower in the bathroom (not in an alcove by the bed, as you see in some places). Plus there are two comfortable reading chairs (or gazing-out-at-the-lake chairs!).
Breakfast was delicious and wonderful, served on different matching china sets each day. I also got a full pot of hot tea every morning (with tea cosy) so I was totally good to go (they have coffee also, of course).
Weather permitting, breakfast is served on the deck overlooking the lake. Very romantic!
The Blue Ridge Parkway is nearby (10 or 15 minutes) and Asheville is a little bit further. Black Mountain has a nice restored downtown area...just a few blocks but wonderful shopping for pottery and other artwork. There is even a contemporary handmade jewelry store that is fabulous (Visionsofcreation.com).
This property is not officially "handicapped accessible" but it's very close to being so. (My husband was on crutches at the time of our visit).
I definitely recommend this place if you are looking for a quiet, romantic place with a view. From their photo album, it looks like they have even have weddings in the back yard.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Carolina_Traveler_7

Reviewed May 15, 2012

Arbor House Bed and Breakfast in Black Mountain, North Carolina, is that rarity we can search for years to find - a haven of peace and tranquility. Carolyn does her utmost to create a soothing atmosphere as you unwind and drink in the stunning mountain and Lake Tomahawk views. She and Dave serve up delicious breakfasts, ensuring I had my favourite home-made pancakes, first with blueberries, then creamy scrambled eggs and sausages.... Guests can make beverages at any time in a small fully equipped kitchen. The bedrooms are all exquisite with pieces chosen by Carolyn and in many cases restored or upholstered by her too. Four days left me feeling pampered and energised. Go any season - the views are sublime from the verandah at any time of the year.

Room Tip: I enjoyed stunning views and the most comfortable bed in the Greybeard room
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Karen G
Reviewed April 14, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed in the Graybeard room in the Arbor House. It was our first B&B experience and I am not sure how it can ever be topped. The room was on the bottom floor of the house and right off the kitchen. Next time we are going to try the lookout room on the 2nd floor for a little extra privacy (yes there will be a next time!!!). Graybeard was a very nice room and the bathroom and jaccuzzi were worth every penny. Breakfast was delicious both mornings. Carolyn was incredibly and tastefully helpful in planning our adventures around Black Mountian. It was a wonderful experience and I cannot imagine a better place to stay while visiting the area!

Room Tip: Graybeard is right off the kitchen- may not bother some but my wife and I would have liked a little...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Thomas L
Reviewed February 28, 2012

The Arbor House exceeded my already high expectations. Dave and Carolyn made me feel at home and were very nice. The room was spacious and very clean. Carolyn even drove me to the start of the Black Mountain Marathon and had fresh cookies for me when I returned. The views of the mountains and Lake Tomahawk from the Arbor House were amazing and I look forward to returning soon.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Mark S
Reviewed November 4, 2011

I visited Arbor House and stayed in The Lookout room in early October. I was looking for a nice room with a beatiful view and access to walking areas. The Lookout was perfect. You can sit in the sitting area and see the mountains. A great place to do some reading. On the private deck, you overlook Lake Tomahawk. There is also a larger shared deck. The lake is nice with a backdrop of mountains. There is a path all the way around and benches to sit on and watch the variety of water fowl. Although the leaves were not turning much while I was there, I imagine it is really beautiful there when they are at peak. You feel very safe in this area.

The feel of the B&B is a nice southern home in a small town. The fireplace in the dining room is a nice touch. The pumpkin pancakes were excellent. Carolyn is very nice to talk to and a great host. The chocolate chip cookies and brownies were awesome. It is also nice to have complimentary drinks available. The Lookout room was large and very clean. There are nearby hiking trails as well. I would definately recommond this B&B to anyone wanting to slow down and enjoy the simple things of life.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the lake and mountains.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank SandNSun704
Reviewed October 23, 2011

By their breakfasts, ye shall know them. The quality of B&B breakfasts ranges pretty widely, but those at the Arbor House are among the best you'll be served anywhere (the pumpkin pancakes are classics). Even for those of us who normally eat brutally healthy breakfasts, these indulgences are worth it. Of course, a B&B must offer far more than good breakfasts--and the Arbor House certainly does. My wife and I had just come from a stay at a top-end luxury resort--and we had a better bed, better sleep, a better bathroom and far more space at the Arbor House (we stayed in the High Windy room, which was great, but would try to book The Lookout next time around--and we hope there will be a next time). And, for us at least, it got even better: The Arbor House is a new construction designed in Craftsman-era style and, although the decor is a bit busier than our minimalist tastes, it's vastly superior to the normal, godawful Victorian horrors cluttering most B&Bs. Then there's the location--not only is the Arbor House located in a quiet neighborhood within a ten-minute walk of the pleasant downtown, but it's perched at the edge of a small lake--and there's a great, lighted half-mile footpath around the water's edge that's perfect for joggers to do laps even in the pre-dawn hours. There's a lovely choice of park-like walks in the immediate neighborhood, hikes in nearby Montreat, and great proximity to the Blue Ridge Parkway and Ashville (we timed it: seventeen minutes from a downtown-Ashville parking space to the B&B). My wife and I very strongly recommend this B&B. (Only complaint? The coffee's wimpy...but that's probably what most guests prefer.) Great innkeepers--and even a great deck above the lake for a quiet glass of wine before evenng chow. Book early.

Room Tip: First choice should be either of the upstairs rooms, The Lookout or High Windy.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Ralph1952
Reviewed October 22, 2011

I've spent two consecutive summers at Arbor House for a week on each occasion in part for business as well as restful recreation. My lodging experience was consistently excellent. Restful, peaceful, as well as incredible scenery as the house overlooks a small local Lake Tomahawk.

My personal experience was the equivalent of a stay at an individual retreat center. Dave and Carolyn are welcoming and hospitable hosts who are excellent resources for planning day trips and learning more about the area and current cultural activities. Their attention to detail in the house and surrounding landscaping create a beautiful and serene environment with modern amenities. The porch and gardens are quiet escapes for reading or simply enjoying a nice cup of tea.

The breakfasts alone were memorable culinary occasions. I am very grateful that during my most recent visit that Carolyn was able, with communication prior to my arrival regarding special dietary needs, to still create some outstanding breakfast meals that were worthy of their high standards and reputation. One dish I dubbed especially 'Carolyn's Arbor House Eggs Benedict' - this is a recipe I've brought home with me and continue to use.

The location is very convenient to the many tourist attractions in the Black Mountain and Asheville areas. Or you can simply stay and relax and renew body and soul in the peaceful surroundings.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
The Residences at Biltmore
#24 of 66 in Asheville
The Inn on Biltmore Estate
Hotel Indigo Asheville Downtown

Been to Arbor House of Black Mountain? Share your experiences!