“had to wait, but worth it”

Veranda Cafe & Gifts
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Soups
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Description: Daily plate lunches, six house made soups, unique sandwiches, wraps, Panini's, salads, decadent desserts, and more..
Los Angeles, CA
“had to wait, but worth it”
Reviewed July 11, 2014

This place isn't open for dinner so it does a great business, at least during the summer, for lunch. It's a little loud but you can still hear other talk. We had to wait but we had a large group. The Hungarian soup was delicious. I had that an a half sandwich (BST) and really enjoyed it. shared a slice of the chocolate cake and it was very good as well.

• Visited July 2014

Oak Ridge, Tennessee
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The best place for lunch in western North Carolina”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

I am looking forward to again visiting Black Mountain next week. My family and I love to eat lunch at Veranda Cafe and Gifts. The soups are excellent and varied. I am always amazed at the new and creative soups Jeff and Palette serve. The turkey cranberry sandwich is to the best turkey sandwich anywhere. (The other sandwiches are also very good! That's just my personal favorite.) The daily specials reflect the owners' varied experiences with cuisine and are always good.

Although the restaurant is usually quite busy in the summer months, the staff is unfailingly friendly and quick to respond to any needs. Long lines to get into the restaurant may seem daunting, but the staff works very hard to keep the wait as short as possible. This is a very pleasant dining experience that I recommend to all my friends and family who visit this area.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Betty D
Newton, North Carolina
“Consistently Good Food For Lunch”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

My friends and I had lunch at the Veranda Cafe for the umpty-ump time! Today my choice was the Cuban along with a lemonade/sweet tea to drink. My buddies got the lunch special and said it was some of the best roast beef they had ever eaten. Umbrellas hanging from the wall, waitresses wearing vintage aprons, exposed brick walls, and lively conversation add to the ambience of this place. There's usually a bit of a wait, but it's not long. When in Black Mountain, consider lunch at the Veranda!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Sharon S
traveler
“Good food, usually super busy”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

My lady loves this place, I think it's just alright as far as the food goes and I usually like to have a beer with lunch and the selection isn't that great, which is unusual for the area. However, the staff is amazing! Super friendly and go out of their way to make you feel at home and certain that everything is going swimmingly, even giving out cookies to our little ones as we leave. It's usually crazy busy here though so expect a little wait.

Visited July 2013
Cary, North Carolina, United States
“You May Have a Wait, but It's Worth It!”
Reviewed June 26, 2014

My husband & I had stopped here for lunch two years ago and saw it was very popular with the locals. It continues to be popular! This is a medium-sized dining area cheerful decor. The menu offers many sandwich, soup and salad selections. We were all pleased with our sandwich selections…freshly made with different types of bread products. The staff are efficient, but friendly and come by to make sure you are enjoying. Hope I can return soon!

Visited June 2014