“good mochas”

The Artisan Gourmet Market
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Street Parking, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Artisan, where shopping is a sensory experience! From the smell of freshly brewed coffee and the visual appeal of local artwork on the walls, to the excitement of shopping for gourmet foods or relaxing by the fireplace with a glass of wine. What our customers come for:- Friendly staff- Great breakfast omelettes, pastries, lunch options- Sandwiches, soups, desserts- Espresso based drinks by trained baristas made with locally roasted beans. 100% fruit smoothies made to order. Fresh meats and seafood, deli with prepared foods to go, extensive wine department and local products. Free wine tasting Thursday evenings from 5-7- Free wifi. A great place to meet friends.
Black Mountain, North Carolina
“good mochas”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

The pasteries and mochas are wonderful. The bagels are good, but the toasting varies depending on who is in the kitchen. Service is not fast, but we enjoy it for coffee and pasteries.

• Visited August 2012

Harrisonburg, Virginia
“The perfect blend of wonderful and not too great”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We ended up in Black Hills because a friend of mine let my family and I use his cottage in the mountains. We just happened to be there the weekend of the Sourwood Festival. My daughter found out that a 5k race was part of the festival and decided that she wanted to participate. So my wife and I found ourselves in the planned community of Cheshire outside of Blackhills, NC where the race was taking place. Just to be clear, this is a very upscale community. New homes built to look like they're from the 1920s and 30s. I saw ads at the liitle sales office nearby for houses costing close to a million dollars. It was 8 am in the morning and we parked in a small shopping area that is part of the development . We decided to get coffee at a shop called the Artisan Gourmet Market Coffee Shop. On entering the shop we were cheerfully greeted by a lady behind the counter. The inside of the coffee shop has an ambiance that reminded me of the kind of coffee shop or cafe I've encountered in England on different occasions. It was very warm and beautifully decorated. After looking at the menu my wife decided to order a chai latte and we ordered a cinamon bun to share. Cost for both with tax was $7.19. That's pretty average in terms of cost and very similar to what you'd expect to pay at a local Starbucks. We were the only ones in the shop and our order was completed quickly. The lady behind the counter was very friendly. We took our order outside to sit down only to discover that after the rain the night before all the tables and chairs outside were wet and there was no place to sit. This would have been less of a big deal if there had been more seating inside, but this coffee shop has the majority of its seating outside in front of the shop. For an outdoor cafe I would have expected someone to have dried off some of the tables when they opened so that customers had a place to sit. Then my wife discovered that her chai latte was only luke warm. I told her to take it back in and have them heat it up. I was just thinking they could microwave it. The manager told the girl at the counter to make it again. We really weren't expecting that, so it was nice that they were willing to do that but the girl handed my wife the chai she had made for the second time with the comment that because it was a milk based drink it was hard to get it hot. That was when they lost me. Wait a minute, so you're telling me that in your shop you can't make milk based drinks that are hot?! Turns out she was telling the truth because the second drink was not hot either. Lets be honest, when you're talking about beverages, there are certain drinks that simply must be hot to be good and others that must be cold. The drink itself was really fine but because it wasn't hot it wasn't very good and I found it really confusing that someone running a coffee shop wouldn't know this. To make matters worse, when I took my pastry out of the container it was in I realized it was very cold. My wife suggested that I take it back and have them heat it up (and I'm sure they would have done it) but after already going that route with the drink we just decided to sit on the (dry) bench in front of the hair salon next door and drink our luke warm latte and eat our cold cinnamon bun. If I had gotten this at 7-11 I wouldn't have been surprised but here at this shop it was both intriguing and disappointing to me. Intriguing because peoples expectations tend to be much higher in more affluent locations and disappointing because in spite of the beautiful location and decor the experience we had was not too great. So my recipe for a great Black Hills morning coffee experience. I would suggest you stop at the Starbucks in downtown Black Hills, get it to go and drive over to Chershire to the Artisan Gourmet Coffee Shop to drink it. Just make sure you bring something to sit on.

• Visited August 2012
gourmetem, Owner at The Artisan Gourmet Market, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Of the thousands of customers we serve every year, we may have a few instances that may disappoint some. We're glad that you found us in our small mountain town. We apologize that it rained the night before and the outside seats were wet because of the rain. We are a little confused as to why this was a complaint when you said that you were the only ones there and we have nearly 30 seats inside. As for your drink, it's hard for us to know what may have happened except that our baristas are trained to bring the drinks to 165 degrees and not scald the milk. but unfortunately the barista did not meet our standard and your expectation. For that we apologize.
For your cold pastry we are under strict North Carolina guidelines to keep the products below 42 degrees. For that reason we are always happy to warm your pastry.
“If you need to eat in 30 minutes or less go to McDonald's.”
Reviewed August 10, 2012 via mobile

The food was okay. It is a bagel place after all. The sign for the juice bar out front is deceiving. V8 and orange juice in a bottle don't constitute a juice bar. We showed up at 9:05. Two hours after they opened and were the only ones there. We had two bagels and coffee. The coffee was good and came fast. The bagels we received at 9:20. I don't think toasting a bagel takes 15 minutes. The server was also less than enthusiastic about our presence. We must have been interrupting the today show on the tv. You can't be this lack luster when their are so many places close by that have great food an service. Maybe coffee but never food again.

gourmetem, Owner at The Artisan Gourmet Market, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Just to clarify this review we, in fact ,do have an organic juice bar with several varieties of fresh vegetable options to choose from. I don't see how anyone could miss it because the produce is the first thing you see when you enter the cafe. Maybe had you inquired we could have pointed out the menu to you. Although we are a cafe, not a bagel place, and serve many other breakfast items along with sandwiches, soups, salads and flatbread pizza's, we have purchased some new equipment to speed up our bagel toasting. Our customers a very important to us and we strive to give the best customer service and do pay attention to any feedback we get.