“Dark City is a bright spot”
Review of Dark City Deli

Dark City Deli
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Dallas, Texas
“Dark City is a bright spot”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

probably the most pleasant patio dining spot in Black Mountain, nice shade and the sound of a rock waterfall tucked in a courtyard off Cherry Street but with views to the passersby.
i had the wedge salad and a chicken skewer. The wedge had an excellent blue cheese dressing and finely chopped red onion. The chicken had a nice brown searing but was moist. Both were excellent and the portion was just right for lunch.

Flowery Branch, Georgia
“Great Food, but service was lacking!”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I used to go to this same spot many years ago and eat at a little cafe called. "Peppers." When Dark City Deli and Pub took it over, I was anxious to see how it compared. Peppers was my favorite place to eat in Black Mountain for many years.

When I came into the Deli, I was warmly greeted by a hostess. She took me to a table very quickly. She was very friendly and communicated very well on who our waitress would be and even gave some recommendations on food (on my request). So far, the visit was great.

When the waitress came, I ordered the option the hostess recommended. The hostess told me to request to have my sandwich "pressed." I did, but the waitress seemed a little put off by my request and didn't seem to know what to do about it. She also seemed a bit flustered. I don't know if she was too busy with other diners, but she never came over to our table to ask how our food was. And she was not very visible most of the time to flag her for anything.

The Dark City Deli is certainly not a high class dining experience. I camp out with better looking silverware than what I was provided with. And it was wrapped in a very cheap napkin. I've had better napkins at McDonald's. The Deli certainly was also very sparing on the napkins, as cheap as the napkins were, giving only one small one or maybe two per person.

When someone else brought out our food, it was delicious! I was amazed at how good the food was in spite of the horrible service and poor quality dining experience. The food was a little messy so I quickly used up my two small napkins, and I gave up looking for the waitress to beg for another one.

So I'm not sure if I would recommend this place to anyone else or not. I'm not sure if I would even come back here again or not. Black Mountain has a number of other restaurants that provide much better service. But then, the food was amazing! Maybe I'll come back another time just to see if it was just an off day for the waitress. But I definitely don't have the fond memories I had of dining at Peppers. Dark City Deli is a big step down from that.

1 Thank DoctorJehle
Greensboro, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Panini”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Cute place with a game room and outdoor patio, they have a covered deck with a TV as well. We went on a Sat night while in town. It was not busy. I ordered a panini and it was delicious. Good fries too. They also offer local brews.

Charleston SC
“Super Pub food”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stopped by for lunch and had an excellent meal of salad and sandwich which was shared by the two of us so we could each enjoy the selections. I had the Cesar salad with Bingo chicken on a skewer! She had the New Yorker and both were delicious. The only downside was that my salad took forever to serve. However, we found out the perfect reason is that the chicken is marinated and cooked when ordered. Do try it but don't be in a hurry as we happened to be. In the end, delicious lunch and we were just a little late getting on the road, but oh so good.

• Visited September 2013
Portsmouth, Ohio
“Dark City & Light Atmosphere..”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Coming to Black Mountain to visit friends they brought us to Dark City for drinks and a bite to eat. What a fun and fun place for lunch and drinks. Great staff and we'll be back for sure!

Visited August 2013