“Local cuisine with local ingredients”
Review of The Morning Glory Cafe - CLOSED

The Morning Glory Cafe
Cuisines: Healthy
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Just 1/2 mile south of extit 64 of I-40 on route 9
Reviewed September 2, 2011

I gave this place a try because I had a Groupon,. It was located in a new retail development in Black Mountain away from the historic center but convenient to it. Since it was mid-afternoon there was no crowd, just us and one other couple. The first server arrived for the drink order and appeared less than friendly. A second server came later to take the order. He did not seem totally familiar with what was being offered. He said the soup was an onion, broccoli and cheddar which I thought was a little unusual (onion?) but wanted to try it. It turned out to be mushroom, broccoli and cheddar which was fantastic. My friend had the vegan vegetable which was loaded with season-appropriate local produce. The hamburger was hormone free and range fed according to the menu and it was good. The spicy fries were also very well cooked and tasty. The menu is not huge but certainly adequate in variety for breakfast or lunch. I would enjoy going back again.

2  Thank iuvenis2000

Reviewed August 19, 2011

Excellent service, great food, We eat there at least once a month. My wife gets the shrimp tacos and love them and I usually try the nightly special.

4  Thank HappyTraveler48962
Reviewed August 18, 2011

My husband and I ate there on a Saturday evening and found the food to be excellent. Very casual, though, no tablecloths and candles here, emphasis on the Cafe in its name. Waitress super friendly and helpful, although we were disappointed that the bottle of wine we ordered was not available as they had just opened the last bottle to pour a glass for another customer. Perhaps more planning is needed so as not to run out of wine. I had the salad caprese and the pecan trout which came with polenta. The salad was huge - I couldn't eat it all and took leftovers of that and polenta home for a tasty lunch the next day. Spouse had scallop brushcetta and crawfish etouffee and thought both were excellent. We would definitely eat here again. Just know that it is very low key. We saw several people coming in for takeaway and it seemed a good place for families with children as there were several dining at the same we were there. We ate inside although there are seats outside on the porch.

4  Thank spaqueen_9
Reviewed August 17, 2011

Wow....nothing but awesome! My husband and I ate at the Morning Glory while in Black Mt this past weekend. Dinner on Sat night....had the Wild Alaskan Salmon Cakes appetizer...so delish...next I had the Med Salad and hubs had the House...both salads and dressings were awesome! For our entrees we had the Fish Tacos and the Ahi Tuna Panini....we both thought excellent choices. The food and the service were great.....we had such a nice dinner date, we returned for breakfast one morning....the special of the day, the Low Country Bennie, was so very good...a twist on eggs Benedict...2 stacks of poached egg on a cheesy grits cake on a fried green tomato finished with hollandaise....absolutely delicious!!! We will definitely return when in Blk Mt and recommend it highly if you love great food and good service in a relaxed, casual setting!

5  Thank alabamacoles
Reviewed August 16, 2011

We visited Morning Glory the other day for a late breakfast with friends. It's a nice spot in Cheshire Village in Black Mountain, which is a lovely area in a pretty mountain setting. They have a nice outdoor seating area also, which is pet friendly. We sat inside, which was unfortunate, as they had the air conditioning running and no matter where you sat there was cool breeze. I will not sit inside again on a summer day. That was the only downside though. The restaurant is not fancy, but the food leans to more gourmet. We all chose breakfast items, and they were creative and delicious. We had things from stuffed french toast - filled with fruit, to breakfast burrito, to whole wheat pancakes. Everyone enjoyed their selections. The menu was varied too, so it was hard to choose, there so so many choices that sounded good. The coffee was very good too! We will return, but will sit outside or wait until winter and come with a sweater.

4  Thank tobandals