“What a disaster”

Charlotte
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What a disaster”
Reviewed December 9, 2011

We visited the Gondola restaurant in Shelby. We had 50 people for a dinner and what a disaster. People from the same table waited 45 minutes between the first person was served and the last person was served. We never got coffee and we had brought a cake to share but it never got cut or passed out. The restaurant didn't follow any requests I had made in advance and no-one seems to know anything about our party.

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank Remember50

Clinton, North Carolina
“Something for everyone”
Reviewed November 2, 2011

Pros:
-waitress was very helpful.
-upon leavn the owners bid us goodnight and thanked us for coming.
-gave my dad a large piece of chocolate cake for his birthday free of charge (which i mainly consumed ha)
Cons:
-decor matches the menu ( more international food festival than "italian" like american+italian+seafood+chinese+greek+mexican+who knows what=this restaurants menu)
-i ordered a eggplant parmesan sub and my mom also got the eggplant parmesan entree. We both agreed it was meh. But in all fairness thats probably bc we've had amazing eggplant at a greek restaurant before

North Carolina
“We Tried the Bessemer City Location Last Month”
Reviewed October 24, 2010

We took our son out to eat (along with my daughter, husband and I) for his birthday at Gondola last month for the first time because that was the restaurant he selected for us to eat at.

The waitress was working the phones and the table that evening so we had to wait a few minutes for a table, but no problem as we understood she was busy. We were surprised that the decor was as pleasant as it was, the only thing we felt could be improved was the carpet, but not a biggie.

My son ordered pizza, my daughter had fettucini alfredo, my husband had manicotti, and I had grilled salmon. My salmon was dry and overcooked, but I didn't mention it to the waitress. I did ask her what type of seasoning they put on the steamed vegetables as they were absolutely the best steamed veggies I had ever eaten. I seriously could have eaten two bowl fulls of them. I liked that when I asked for a "light" salad dressing, I got a name brand packet to use although I'm sure the home made dressings that everyone else would have been tastier. It was my choice though, so I'm not complaining.

Everyone seemed to like their selection pretty well (except for my dry salmon) and my son raved about the blue cheese dressing he had on his salad. Over all the food was pretty good and I would probably go back, but next time I would say something about the fish if I was brave enough to order it again.

The waitress was friendly enough and brought refills for those who were drinking soft drinks and asked us if we wanted dessert. We declined as we were all very full, so we definitely didn't have issues with walking away hungry, and my daughter even had to take most of her fettucini home as the portion was large (should have been since it was just pasta).

I think our total was around $60 something and that was with two of us drinking tap water. It wasn't outrageously expensive, but I thought it was a little pricy since I was the only one with meat other than my son's request for anchovies on his pizza.

dallas,nc
“very filling,relaxing and enjoyable”
Reviewed December 5, 2009

Wife and I eat at the Gondola weekly. Always come away full, having enjoyed a relaxing dinner with the family. Staff makes one feel welcomed. I have recommeded Gondola to our friends. They have advised that it was worth the trip to Bessemer City. Friends have appreciated the recommendation.

Waco
“Not A Very Good Experience”
Reviewed September 17, 2009

My wife and I took our daughter to the Gondola on Monday night Sept. 14th for her birthday. My wife ordered baked spaghetti and my daughter had the white lasagna. I had angel hair with meatballs. To start off the bread was cold and old. The salad was fresh however the dressings were hardly first rate. Our food arrived timely; however my wife’s baked spaghetti was anything but baked. It was spaghetti topped with a cold piece of cheese. My daughters white lasagna arrived cold almost as though it had been frozen and micro waved; but not heated thoroughly. Me with the safe choice; my angel hair was good however the meatballs left a lot to be desired. We ordered two slices of carrot cake to go and it was neither fresh nor good and was thrown out. To make matters worse both my wife and daughter were ill Monday night. Our server was quite fast and efficient. Needless to say we made two trips that evening; our first and our last.