“Good breakfast place and the great General Store!”

Fred's Backside Deli
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed April 12, 2014

I think it's very hard not to stop by Fred's General Mercantile when one visits Beech Mountain! Number one, everyone talks about the place; Number two, the place has never closed since its open in 1979! The Backside Deli is downstairs and only opens for breakfast and lunch. We only went for breakfast and it was good (nothing extraordinary good.) Belgian Waffle was tasty but was way over priced! The server was very friendly and the service was great. However, what impressed me the most was the General Store Section on the first and the second floor. I have never seen more comprehensive general store than Fred's. if you need something... it'll be there! We bought coffee, coffee creamer, water, homemade brownies, snacks, vegetable and fruits, souvenir towel,... but that's not all...there are rental movies, books, Christmas ornaments, clothing, shoes, hardware and kitchen items. Ski rentals also at downstairs and the guy was very knowledgeable.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

The pulled pork from Fred's was better than we had at a nicer restaurant. The menu variety, service, and food was great.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

My wife and I went to the Generals Store which is attached to the deli and we were made to feel very uncomfortable. I can admit that it has been decades since I was followed around in a store and made to feel like a potential criminal who would shoplift. It was an eerie feeling. Finally, when my wife and I went to make our purchase, we were not greeted, even after I spoke to the cashier. The feeling was that we should spend fast and get out. If there was another option, I would have left to make my purchase at another store. If we make another trip to Beech Mountain, I surely will pack extra items so I will not have to solict any business from Freds General Store.

Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

We had breakfast at Fred's as we heard it was the best on beech mountain. I had Fred's muffin which is an English muffin with egg, cheese and I added country ham with a side if hash browns. The country ham was extremely salty, so I took it off and didn't eat it. The hash browns were not very good either. My boyfriend had the beech mountain breakfast and he liked it. The bacon was really good so I took some of his :) I definitely want to go back and try some of the items mentioned in the reviews though :) love that they have a store, deli and so rental all in the same building!!

Reviewed January 4, 2014

Great place to grab a bite to eat and get supplies. Friendly staff and great chili! Homemade apple turnovers and cinnamon rolls for breakfast.