“We had a great time and would recommend it highly.”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Beaufort
Otway House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #8 of 8 Beaufort B&B and Inns
Little Rock, Arkansas
“We had a great time and would recommend it highly.”
Reviewed August 26, 2011

Otway House is a B&B and was exactly what we were looking for. We went with friends and could sit and visit on the porch which was a lot better than sitting in a hotel lobby somewhere. The breakfasts were amazing.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Victoria Y

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed May 8, 2011

I was walking the Mountains-to-Sea Trail which goes righ through Otway. I explained to Janice Mines of Otway B&B that I was staying because of her location. I needed a shuttle to my beginning point in the morning. Of course I would pay her extra.
She was very enthusiastic. She let me have the run of the kitchen so I could prepare my packed lunch and then have an early breakfast. She was very accomodating to my needs.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Dannyhiker
Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 5, 2010

My family and I had a great expierence at this B&B. We arrived as strangers and left as friends. The rooms were very clean and smelled great-plenty of towels and privacy. The tubs were alot bigger then the tub we have. The owner was great to share stories and information about surrounding area and events. The owner was very tolerate of our teenagers and we were excited talking about bringing our family pet next time. I loved the front porch and sitting there with drinks was great- the lane to the house has great lights that are very welcoming when coming back at night from outings. The owner was very flexible about when we wanted to eat breakfast and our late nights of sitting out on the porch drinking and talking. The best part was the breakfast- there was fresh fruit and great coffee --I felt like I was eating in paradise. The service and setting at breakfast made this tired old mother feel like a well taken care of queen. The only thing I would say I would improve or would of liked would of been like a small fridge in the room and of course the option to eat another meal there:) Plan to go back next summer----The Bender Family

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank C-yainJune
Reviewed April 24, 2010

We stayed at Otway Inn because it is 10 miles closer to Ferry than an inn in Beaufort. With a 6 am departure to make the ferry, this was important. The owner was helpful on the phone recommending one of the best restaurants anywhere, Williams Restaurant, in Morehead City. We had an outstanding meal there on our way to the inn.
Once we arrived at Otway we found our room to be clean but a with a slight odor. I noticed it more than my husband. The owner does like to talk. She was very nice to prepare a generous to-go breakfast for us. Her sanitation rating at the time of our stay was 100. She also has an amazing assortment of tea for non coffee drinkers. Otway House is okay for a one night stay on the way to somewhere else. Allergy sufferers may have a problem. Light sleepers need to be aware that walls are thin and snoring was heard between floors.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mwjack

Travelers are raving about these Beaufort hotels

Reviewed June 8, 2008

I'll go with the positives first: The house is very neat and nicely kept inside and out. The owner was very polite on the phone when I called to book. Pets are welcome (with fee). Huge yard and wrap-around porch. The breakfast was good and plentiful.

And now for the rest: As I arrived the owner promptly informed me of the total price ($150-clearly overprised!). In addition, the owner wanted the payment up front and so payment was made within 10 minutes of arrival. Once I payed, things got worse. She asked what time I wanted breakfast and I wasn't sure at that time (about 6:00pm) since I was attempting to arrange my next day and needed to make several phone calls before I could know when I would need to have breakfast. She did assist by looking up a few numbers for me in the phone book, but seemed annoyed and bothered.

As my evening continued, things got worse. I had my dog along for the trip and was told repeatedly not to let my dog get near her puppies, which she hadn't (she has 20 in her garage for sell). I was getting ready to take my dog outside to play (away from her puppies) when she slammed the door on my dogs nose! She, of course apologized, but seemed very half-hearted. Since I was the only person staying at that time and she had not told me otherwise, when I went outside to see her puppies, I had left my dog (who is generally very well behaved) inside without shutting her up in my room. I was out for maybe 2 minutes and came back inside. To my dismay, I couldn't find my dog! That is until I heard her whinning! The owner had shut my dog up in the room we were staying in and had not bothered to let me know! My dog is like my child. My dog was a nervous wreck and likely would have destroyed her room if she would've been shut up in there much longer (she is a rescue dog and gets very uneasy when she is shut up in places, especially strange, unfamiliar places, by strange, unfamiliar people. I brought this up to the owner's attention and it was completely brushed under the rug as she acted as though nothing was wrong!

During the night, I heard cars travelling on the major highway the property is on. A lovely nights sleep escaped me!

In the morning, during breakfast, her attention was completely focused on her friends who had gotten in late the night before. I felt so much like I was a burden. $150 and I feel like I'm a burden!

When I left, I guess she wanted to try to boost her business and she made sure to tell me to let others know about her place...I hope I've done just that!

• Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
5 Thank yecarg2008
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 13, 2008

First off, this is a wonderful house with beautiful rooms. The breakfast is fantastic and really beyond what I would expect, even from a B&B.

Now for the problems. The location is out in the swamp, about a 10 minute drive from Beaufort. This would not normally be a problem, but it seems that being out in the fresh water swampland causes it to suffer from a massive mosquito problem in the summer. I'm pretty hard wearing when I travel and not much bothers me, but my wife and I literally had to run to and from the car to try to avoid being bitten and every time we got several bites with repellent on. Even in the house, we were swatting the bugs and being bitten in our sleep. Not the owner's fault, but something you should really consider if you are visiting in the warm weather. Beaufort did not suffer from mosquitos, just the B&B and surrounding area.

Secondly, while very kind and friendly, the owner can be a bit over bearing and once you get her talking you had better have time free to chat. Especially over breakfast. She owns and breeds dogs, so if you suffer from allergies or find the smell of dog (faint, though it was) offensive, then be warned. The dogs also bark when you go in and out of the car, though this was probably not helped by us frantically running back and forth.

In overall summary, the place is fantastic and the food wonderful. However, chiefly with the mosquito problem but also with the owner being so talkative, I would probably not ever stay here again.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank taucias
Reviewed September 26, 2007

I stayed at the Otway House with a Wedding Party, and the whole house was rented for us to stay in. I was so excited about staying at a bed and breakfast, boy was a wrong. The owner of the house was had no tack and was extremely hard to deal with. We were locked out of the house on 3 occasions, once for 2 hours. We placed calls to the local police and they tried to reach the owners on their cell phone and house phone with no response. Finally after several attempts to get a key in the old door we finally got in the house at 10:00pm with a 2 year old. When the owner returned all the response we got for our ordeal was "You had a key". Nobody took the initiate to tell us that we might have a problem getting the key to work. Also, I was offered a mattress for my daughter to sleep on, however then I was told that the person that offered the mattress had no authority and the $180 mattress was not for CHILDREN TO SLEEP ON!!! Also the mosquitoes were horrid, but nobody mentioned this to us, and never mind the fact we were not allowed to use bug spray in our rooms at all! I could go on about this place all day...MY BEST ADVICE IS TO AVIOD THIS PLACE!!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank Sunshine6710
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beaufort
Bask @ Big Rock Landing
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlantic Beach Oceanfront
Pecan Tree Inn
Pecan Tree Inn
#1 of 8 in Beaufort

Been to Otway House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!