“enjoyable experience”

Ranked #8 of 38 Restaurants in Beaufort
Cuisines: Seafood, International
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night
Description: Located across the street from the Maritime Museum on the Historic Beaufort Waterfront. We offer floating dock access - come by land or sea! Reservations are recommended for large parties, generally 12 or more people.
Lincolnton, North Carolina
“enjoyable experience”
Reviewed August 7, 2007

We had a very nice experience at the Finz restaurant this evening. My wife and I sat outside on the rear deck by the water. The ambiance is relaxed and casual. It's not a fancy restaurant. The food is good and the prices are not as high as other Beaufort restaurants.

We had the "Spicy Crab Fritters" as an appetizer and we shared a plate of the "catch of the day" which today was tuna. I ordered it "blackened". The fish was excellent. Much better than the grilled tuna steak my wife ordered in Charleston, SC this past May. The portion size was very large. I believe the waitress recommended medium-rare which was very nice. The Charleston SC restaurant tuna was not cooked completely (it was still pink inside). My only complaint is the fish had a little too much of the "blackened" seasoning.

Phoenix, Arizona
“Just Horrible”
Reviewed August 5, 2007

I completely agree with the previous review. I had one of the meals I have ever had in my life - and I travel a LOT. Overcooked fish, dirty silverwear, flies galore, headbanger rock as "ambience" backgrund music. And a tab for two that,
with the small tip I left for awful service, was about $75. Save your money, get take out from a beach fish shack, and watch the sunset from your own picnic.

Atlanta, GA
“Overpriced, bad service, mediocre food - walk on by!”
Reviewed July 7, 2006

I've actually tried this place twice as I sometimes am willing to write off one bad experience as an anomaly. Well, in the case of Finz in Beaufort, I had a somewhat poor experience the first time and a downright awful experience the second! Like so many of the waterfront restaurants of Beaufort, Morehead City, and surrounding areas, this is yet another establishment serving average (at best) food at double the price they could charge if not located with a view of some water. In the case of Finz, though, the restaurant itself also offers slow, somewhat incompetent service and a rather grimy environment. The seating is a bit crowded together, especially on the outside deck, and the flies were out of control. They really need to invest in some professional assistance with eliminating this problem; when we sat outside during a warm summer day, we were swatting at flies every other bite. Because of the cramped space, we had uncouth waiters brushing up against our backs and bumping into our chairs every few minutes. As for the food, absolutely nothing special. Bland, amatuerish seafood gumbo; mediocre chicken strips appetizer; small servings of "fishy" fish and greasy fried seafood; and an average "seafood mediterranean pasta." All of this, mind you, at prices approximately 40-50% higher than what you should be paying. For example, you'll get something about the same as their "seafood mediterranean pasta" for about $10-12 at your local Ruby Tuesday, Applebies, or any number of other chains. But at this place, you'll pay $20 for that entree, mainly due to the "privilege" of sitting next to the dock, swatting flies and watching drunks disembark from their boating trips. Finally, the service: They seem to employ a lot of kids who perhaps couldn't get hired at the local chains, and it shows. On my last visit, our poor waiter was so challenged by handling three or four tables at once that he could do nothing but continuously apologize for forgetting things and taking so long. After waiting ten minutes to get the check (after asking for it), and then another ten minutes to have the bill rung up, I finally got to say goodbye to Finz for good.

Note that this place has a sister restaurant by the same name in Morehead City, but after my experiences here, I don't think I will risk it.

My advice is to stay away from the tourist-traps such as this. If you absolutely must eat with a view of the water, how about running through a drive through and sitting on a bench at the waterfront? You'll save a bundle and the food will be about as good. :-) Seriously, though, there are some good restaurants in the area, but by all means, ask the locals. Most are not waterfront. Try Shepard's Point or Bistro-by-the-Sea in Morehead City, or perhaps Cafe Zito. Better yet...drive to Raleigh for dinner!

5 Thank ATLDawg