“Not too bad, but...”

Ranked #8 of 41 Restaurants in Beaufort
Cuisines: Seafood, International
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night
Description: Located across the street from the Maritime Museum on the Historic Beaufort Waterfront. We offer floating dock access - come by land or sea! Reservations are recommended for large parties, generally 12 or more people.
Reviewed March 12, 2009

I can see why some may have rated it substandard. We were at Finz in September 2008 and we had a satisfactory experience. I’ll admit that I got sucked in by an ad on local TV. Had I check the reviews here, I would have probably passed on it. That being said, the food was actually very good. There were four of us in our group, and no major complaints. We had a very pleasant meal outside as the sun went down. One caveat: we were the only people in the place, so we got their full attention. I could be possible that the service suffers during a rush. Also, it did seem to have a slightly dirty feel to it, but that may come from being dockside. As far as the food quality, my fish was very good, as were my wife’s scallops. It seemed slightly pricey, but that may be par for the area.

Reviewed November 2, 2008

I should have gotten the clue when we walked up and the entrance way and glass door were filthy. We sat outside; the view was nice but there were flies everywhere and cigarette butts all over the deck. The salt and pepper shakers felt like they had not been wiped or washed in days. The food was barely edible. The soup was bland, the chicken wings were lousy, the shrimp sandwich was a ball of melted cheese filled with what tasted like frozen chewy shrimp. The service was poor. Never Again!

Reviewed July 23, 2008

My son and I visited Finz restaurant today and unfortunately spent $30 on the worst lunch I have had in a long time.
...to start off,
We ordered the black bean nachos and this dish was tasty except that the grated cheese was not completely melted and this was especially noted the further down we got. The other negative about this dish was the BRIGHT RED nacho chips. What is wrong with regular nacho chips? The only way the manufacturer can get these chips bright red is to add a nasty, carginogenic RED DYE.
Secondly, I ordered the fried shrimp plate and when it arrived the shrimp were greasy and laying all over top of the french fries which made the french fries greasier - as a matter of fact, you could see the grease on top of the french fries. Then I took a bite of the cole slaw and the taste was so bad that I had to spit it out into my napkin. I was afraid to eat it because I was afraid it would make me sick.
I requested some new french fries and the waiter was very nice to bring them too us. After we had eaten about 1/2 of them, I pulled out a rather good size strand of hair but I had already complained about two things, I did not want to continue because it would have embarrassed my 17 y.o. son.

As a business owner, I would have been extremely apologetical but the manager never visited our table and no one seemed to care.

Reviewed June 30, 2008

Customer service is not a priority for this miserable restaurant. Bugs on the floor, ssslllooowww service (over 1 hr 15 min for food) PLUS the benefit of an automatic 20% gratuity. The one bright point was a manger who removed the tip but the whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth. We found that Circle Pizza on Emerald Isle has amazing Greek Tacos and huge burgers for a much better price.

1  Thank GoodServiceSeeker
Reviewed May 27, 2008

The view from the deck of Finz is great. That is the only thing at Finz that we enjoyed. The "special" of the day was the softshell crab sandwich at $11.95. The crab was served on a 5" hamburger bun and that was all you got. You want french fries? That was another $2.25. We also ordered a shrimp burger which came on a 5" bun with no sides for $6.95. It was all bread, not many shrimp. This place has such potential with its location - the management needs to rethink several things - starting with the staff's attitude.