“Lovely and accommodating”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We ate at Blue Moon Bistro with a party of 13 for a special family dinner. I made reservations well in advance since the restaurant is so well known and we had a large party. The food we ate was so delicious! For appetizers we tried fried oysters and the shrimp and grits martini. Some of the entrees included wild boar, grouper, scallops, shrimp scampi, and filet mignon. Everything was prepared to perfection and all of our inevitable special requests were accommodated with ease, like substituting the lobster ravioli in one dish into the grouper entree which was supposed to have cheese ravioli. We had a lovely evening and would absolutely go again. This is a great place for families, or couples looking for a cozy, romantic evening.

3  Thank 468katherinec

Reviewed August 21, 2012

This was a refreshing change from the next door neighbor, Beaufort Grocery. I wish we had found it years ago. Again, prices are higher than they need to be, but the service is attentive and knowledgeable, the wine list is a real list with years (how can you sell bottles of wine without that? nuts!) and the food is well prepared.

4  Thank alawrencenyc
Reviewed August 18, 2012

My husband's dive buddy suggested this restaurant and boy am I glad that he did. It's small so make reservations or get there when they open. The clientele wore a mix of shorts and flip flops and resort/beach dressy, but nothing too formal The food did not disappoint. We started with scallops served with penne and roasted peppers, and boy was it yummy! I had the mixed green salad which came with asparagus spears, sliced citrus, tomatoes, and cantaloupe. My husband had the special, tuna with mashed potatoes, sun dried tomatoes, corn and fresh basil. I had the salmon with asparagus, mushrooms and ravioli. It was all fantastic. We were too full for dessert but I have no doubt it would have been equally as wonderful. If we are ever back in the area, I will be sure to return!

1  Thank legaleagle216
Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

We had a Tuesday night reservation. We were promptly seated and the staff was genuinely friendly. Our waitress was very knowledgable regarding beer/wine selection and menu items.
We started with a Caprese style salad. It was good, but the mozzarella appeared presliced instead of fresh. However, the tomatoes were outstanding. My husband ordered grouper and I had the salmon-both were excellent and perfectly prepared!
We enjoyed the atmosphere and appreciate the fact that when we told our waitress we wanted to take our time ( because we were dining without our children : ) she was sure to check with us regarding the pace of our orders.
The only reason I gave it a 4 for atmosphere is because a water view would make it perfect. That expectation removed, the ambience is perfect for a quiet romantic dinner. Don't miss this Queen Street gem when in Beaufort!

1  Thank Kikistreamer
Reviewed June 27, 2012

As a local, I come here often and it like Aqua is one of those consistently great places. Had a friend visiting who owns a well known restaurant in NY and I wanted to show her why Beaufort is so Cool. Blue Moon did not disappoint - we had the small plates option as we were also heading over to my other fav place for wines later. My chef friend had the tomato-smoked Mozz salad and the blue crab, I had my favorite seared scallops with penne. An 06 gretzky napa cab; she had an Austrian white wine. The scallops were PERFECTLY seared, extremely well prepared with just the right amount of mushroom, red bell pepper and penne was done perfectly. Swoon type good. My friend had equally impressive dinner. I come here a lot if I have important clients or great friends, including many chef friends. Food is moderately priced yet in line with nicer restaurants. Wine list is good and they are CARTERET CATCH which means they serve only locally obtained seafood - look for the banner in the front door if you are in the mood for seafood - why buy indonesian shrimp? The owner is gracious and the serving staff is friendly, attentive and on point. The decor is upbeat, sophisiticated and yet fun, highlighting local artists with just the right amount of color and tastefulness. If I have to come up with an area for improvement, the compactness of the restaurant can lend itself to noise when full, which it normally is very full. Reservations are recommended. In short, if you want a great meal, this is a go-to.

4  Thank DHPaine