“Disappointing!!!!”

Cuisines: Delicatessen
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed September 7, 2010

After eating at the sister restaurant Shepards Point and having enjoyed the food I thought BG would offer a good option for catering my daughter's wedding. I have also attended several events on BG site and thought it was a pretty venue for the reception.Well after taking a $500. deposit , it was like trying to take a french fry from a seagull to get the owner to respond to countless e-mails and phone calls. Finally less than a month before the wedding the owner responds with a bill $4000. over the anticipated one with numerous hidden charges . Now this is only for 70 people. We can't even get them to meet with us. I have come to find out this is a habit of theirs from a few other brides. Insensitive and greedy come to mind. We could not wait to find another caterer but found one I HAVE YET TO GET MY $ 500. back Styron family

2  Thank das28516

Reviewed August 24, 2010

We just went to Beaufort Grocery Co for lunch (2 adults 3 children) based on great reviews. If 5, 1 thought the restaurant was "really good," 2 thought it was "nothing special" and one thought it was "horrible." The shrimp salad and chicken salad were boring and completely lacked flavor. The Phat Sammy was "nothing special" according to the 2 teens who ate it. but the fish sandwich was "really good" according to one diner. I find it very difficult to find an outstanding restaurant on the Crystal Coast so I rated this one average. Not poor but definitely not recommended. Lunch for 5 came to $102 and the service was slow and aloof (I guess she didn't think she needed to provide good service since the Beaufort Grocery Co automatically adds a gratuity if you have 5 guests). We ordered a french batard to go because it had been highly recommended as the "best bread around." Sadly, we found the bread to be entirely too salty to eat. It was saltier than a pretzel even after rubbing the salt crystals off the crust. Suffice it to say we won't be dining at again. We will continue our pursuit of the best restaurant on the Crystal Coast.

Reviewed July 29, 2010

My family and I ate lunch here while on a daytrip to Beaufort. The food was wonderful! The restaurant was packed with people constantly coming and going and seemed to be popular with both tourists and locals. The crabcake sandwich was superb and the wahoo sandwich was great as well. My kids (4,7) enjoyed their sandwiches off of the kids menu and loved their dessert! The portions are large and the desserts are heavenly! Homemade cheesecakes and pies are hard to pass up although a bit pricey. There were a few tables outside but most are inside. I am not sure how well a large group (over 8) would fit as the tables are placed fairly close together inside. I would definitely recommend this as a great place to eat fresh local seafood in Beaufort!

Reviewed July 19, 2010

Every year we venture out to find another great place to eat for the family vacation. It never fails that Beaufort Grocery is the most enjoyed. Great family environment with top notch food. It can be hard to find a place that you don't feel stressed having young kids and desiring an excellent meal out. We have continuously been very pleased with our experiences here. Highly recommended for the family foodies!

Reviewed July 7, 2010

I have eaten here for both lunch and dinner and it's an OK place if you are not in a hurry and do not mind paying premium prices for the Beaufort NC area. We waited 45 min to get a table at dinner - even with a reservation. Service was very, very slow and the food relatively expensive ($28/entree). It took us almost 3 hours to complete our dinner. The noise level is very high as there are a lot of tables crammed in here, so you can hardly hear your companion speak. Also, the wait staff always seems to be overextended (both at lunch and at dinner). The food itself is pretty good, but in my opinion the slow service and noisy atmosphere override its relative value. To me, the owners seem to pack as many people inside as they can, so it is useless for a quiet romantic dinner or even for casual conversation. There are better and certainly more cost effective restaurants in this area for me to recommend it unconditionally.