“Not worth the hype”

Cuisines: Delicatessen
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Based on a recommendation from a store clerk we decided to check out Beaufort Grocery Co. for dinner on Father's Day weekend. The place was a little busy and we didn't make reservations so we had to sit outside. I was impressed by the menu selection and ordered a steak and a few hefeweizen to compliment while my wife ordered a steamed fish of some sort. Both were specials of the day. We were willing to overlook the slow service since our waitress was nice and it was a beautiful day outside. Once the food arrived we realized the place was nothing more than a façade for a Rachel Ray wannabe. The fish was bland and tasted like something old, frozen, and on its last leg trying to be revived by the chef through steaming. My steak was ordered medium rare but came out almost well done. When I told the waitress about my steak she said it'll probably take about 30 mins for another one to come out since they're busy in the kitchen. We decided to finish our food and take it as a lesson learned. Paid the bill and noticed my credit card was missing. I went back inside to ask the waitress about my missing Amex and it took the hostess about five minutes to find her. Waitress said she was sorry she must've dropped it and will look for it immediately. I waited for about ten minutes and she came back and asked if I can leave my phone number and she'll call as soon as she finds it. I politely told her she needed to find my card. Another five minutes and she returned with no card and said she'll call me as soon as my card is found if I leave my number. I asked to see the manager and within a minute she returned and said the manager was really busy and would be out in about five to ten minutes. She saw the look of anger on my face and went back inside to get the manager. She returned immediately with no manager but had my Amex in her hand. She said she was sorry but still no manager. I crossed off the original 25% tip and left her a less than desirable amount. During the time period my card was unaccounted for there could've been an identity theft gang operating out of the kitchen but the waitress nor a nonexistent manager did nothing to assure me this wasn't the case. Needless to say we won't be coming back. The place is a tourist trap where travelers hope to dine in classy settings with locals. The owners were really hoping for a star in the Michelin Guide and turned out to be not worth the hype.

1  Thank Richieeeeee

Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

On a recent trip to the coast, we had my grandson and we out walking.
We stopped in and were quit surprised at how good the sandwiches were. Very casual atmosphere and everyone was friendly.
I will be sure to come back on my next trip.
Great lunch!!!

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Sometimes an expensive dinner is really worth the price, and Beaufort Grocery Company falls into that category. The food at Beaufort Grocery is always top notch. They have a seasonal menu, but there are always some old favorites present, like the SAGANAKI, which is Kasseri cheese flamed in brandy and served with fresh bread. It really takes 4 people to eat that as an appetizer, but it is awesome. Lunches are more affordable (although not cheap) and the Apple Granny Sandwich is a good one to try. The atmosphere is casual chic--it feels like you are in a nice place, even though you can go in shorts or jeans without feeling underdressed. It does get loud, though, so be aware of that up front. Delicious food, good wine pairings--you can't go wrong unless you are on a tight budget.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Always love the Beaufort Grocery for lunch . Nice fresh sandwiches and sides . Friendly & attentive staff . Thank you. Save room for desert I loved the Key lime cheese cake.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

The lunch menu is very friendly. Everything else for dinner is a little pricey. The food is good and everyone was friendly. Try the flaming cheese for the appetizer. You will like it.

1  Thank summerfunOhio