“You can do a lot better for a lot less money!”

Beaufort Grocery CO
Ranked #2 of 39 Restaurants in Beaufort
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Durham, NC
“You can do a lot better for a lot less money!”
Reviewed October 8, 2011

We went to this James Beard approved restaurant in the gorgeous seaport town of Beaufort, NC, after a wonderful day at the beach. We were hungry and prepared to spend a lot for a great meal. Apparently the restaurant was also hosting a private rehearsal dinner party for a large group (we kept getting "mea culpas" from our server about the slowness of the food) but to my mind, if you want to keep the public restaurant open while simultaneously serving a large private party, you (the management) should plan ahead to have extra anything and everything on hand to accommodate both interests--especially if you're going to be serving entrees in the $30+ range. First problem: prompt seating but nobody came to check on us. By the time someone asked if we wanted a cocktail, all we really wanted was a menu. Second problem: the bread took forever to arrive and when it did, it was covered in garlic. I hate it when garlic bread is the norm, and I especially hate it when I am not told in advance that it's the norm. How hard is it to ask a patron, "Do you prefer garlic bread or plain?" Third problem: the server clearly wanted to be anywhere else but at this restaurant. She spoke like a robot, didn't make eye contact, and basically treated us like impositions. I've had better interactions with the cafeteria workers at the local hospital. Fourth problem: my entree was very good (seafood of all sorts, over linguini), although again, way too heavy on the garlic. My husband's entree, should have been called the not-so-special special: the rice was bland, the grouper was overcooked and dry, and the asparagus was limp. Good points: you are allowed to bring your own wine, and the corkage fee is a very reasonable $15. Plus the food arrived hot, which is always a big plus. The Harker's Island soup was just divine.

By the time the server circled back to us to ask about coffee and dessert, all we wanted to do was pay and leave. Save your money and go to one of the far less pretentious "seafood joints" right on the water, and have dinner served by folks who are glad for your business, don't have any issues with being helpful, and act like humans. Plus you'll have a great view!

• Visited October 2011
2 Thank EllenRN

“Ou favorite!”
Reviewed October 2, 2011

We come at least once each trip. Food is excellent, cute atmosphere and good service.

The Southern USA
“Lovely little place in Beaufort, but a wee bit full of itself...”
Reviewed September 27, 2011

We hadn't been back to Beaufort grocery for about 2 years, and we went last week for our anniversary. Things got started off on a not-so-great note when we showed up about 10 minutes before they opened for dinner, only to find signs absolutely plastered all over the front windows and door...CLOSED. Dining room is CLOSED. Delicatessen is CLOSED. Bar is CLOSED. I thought, well, jeez, ok then! It was sort of off-putting. As we stood around on the sidewalk waiting for them to open, the people inside could clearly see we and other people were outside waiting to come in, but they didn't unlock the door until precisely 5:30. And even then, they didn't swing it open and welcome us inside. The guy just walked away. Really....?

Now I know what you're thinking -- "jeez, lady, they weren't open yet, chill!" But it struck me in a negative way. Restaurants aren't just about the food, they're about service. I think a proprietor or manager should be welcoming -- "hey, come on in! so great to see you! here, let us get you a drink while we set up your table!" But the vibe was not at all welcoming, which was very disappointing. Even once inside, I did not feel welcome, just sort of tolerated. Pffffffttt.

Anyway, we had a very friendly waitress and the food was good to very good. The bread was excellent, it had some kind of lemony salt on it -- yum. The salads were fresh and attractively presented, and the house-made blue cheese dressing is to die for -- we were fighting over the remains, lol. My husband ordered the filet and it was very good. I ordered the gargantuan double pork chop and it was just OK. It wasn't very flavorful, and it looked better than it tasted, and I would not order it again. The fresh mozzarella stuffing is a miss -- there ends up being no texture and no punch to the dish,, everything is sort of soft and mushy. :( All entrees have the same sides, which I think is a smart way to approach it from an efficiency standpoint, but it limits the ability of larger groups to share and try new things. For the prices they're charging, diners should receive more than 4 asparagus spears ... and steaming them does nothing for them flavor-wise -- how about a saute, or maybe roasted?

I also want to mention the decor here. For what this restaurant must be pulling in in terms of profit, it could and should be a LOT nicer inside. I didn't much appreciate facing a wall of floating shelving that only half-obstructed the staff sitting around and chatting while they waited for more customers to show up. The inside looks more like fishhouse than a fine dining establishment. I'd love to see them spend a few bucks on the decor. Likewise, the tables and chairs on the sidewalk are in pitiful shape. The chairs are cheap plastic lawn chairs and the edges are chipping off the tables. And that's the first impression you get -- ick. The bar shoehorned into the back of the place looks like an afterthought.

Overall we had a very nice evening, but I really think the people who run this place have gotten a little big for their britches, and they need to come back to earth and re-dedicate themselves to the service component of the restaurant industry. *We* should not feel privilaged to be eating at your place. YOU should feel lucky we chose to come in and spend our hard-earned money at your establishment, especially in this economy. Earth to Beaufort Grocery!

• Visited September 2011
3 Thank LiteWallet
Pinehurst, North Carolina
“The food was great!”
Reviewed September 22, 2011

We each selected a different item on the menu and couldn't agree on which was best, because both were great. I look forward to eating there again.

• Visited July 2011
Boca Raton, Florida
“Best in Beaufort”
Reviewed August 19, 2011

Four out of four people LOVED their meals. Duck confit was amazing. Must try the flounder. It is the best. Lamb was good too. Everything was good. Including the peanut butter and chocolate pie was had for dessert. I've eaten hear twice and can not figure out why it's not higher on the list for Beaufort because it's number one for me and I come here every summer.

• Visited August 2011