“I drive an hour to eat here!”
Review of Old Salt - CLOSED

Old Salt
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Located directly across from the Historical Society. Previous owners called it the Net House.
Reviewed May 21, 2014

Old Salt is a wonderful place to eat. The wait staff are friendly and attentive. Each of the 3 times I've visited ( so far) I have been impressed! I like that the food is homemade. The fries are yummy and the fresh roumelade is a delicious dip for them. My ABSOLUTE FAVORITE Dessert is the Beaufort Pound Cake... WELL worth the 1 hour drive from my house!

There are newer reviews for Old Salt

Reviewed May 19, 2014

Great food and location. We enjoyed our meal at an outside table and enjoyed the atmosphere and the food was great!

Reviewed May 15, 2014

To be 'worth one's salt' is to be worth one's pay and this restaurant is definitely worth the visit. We had been driving up and down the street unable to decide on a restaurant. I took a break and was looking at Beaufort Historical Buildings when across the street I spotted, "The Old Salt" restaurant. Barb Ward, the owner was super sweet and invited us in to look at the daily special menu. I am a picky eater and love anything that is local and natural. Barbara goes out of her way to source as many things locally as she can and man can you taste the goodness. From "sea to table" to my stomach! The seafood chowder was delish not too salty or creamy. I had standard fish and chips sandwich also wonderful with choice of house made ketchup (sooo nice to not have corn syrup!) or remoulade (not too spicy.) Mother had daily special of loaded potatoes with crab meat (she consumed 100%) Ended with butter cake (its huge so share a piece), I wont even try to explain how good it was, just get it. The Old Salt Restaurant is a little off the beaten path but for anyone who is a foodie, its worth the effort to find it. We enjoyed the outside seating with the view of Historical Beaufort Buildings. Will recommend to anyone. Glad we went and you will be too.

1  Thank M H
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Service was a bit slow the night we were there but the food was good. A lot of local and homemade items, right down to the ketchup. While the fries particularly (and the food in general) was over salted, I enjoyed the shirmp po boy that I ordered and would eat there again.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

While shopping with the girls in Beaufort, we asked locals for their recommendation for the best place to eat. Overwhelmingly, the response was Old Salt. Everyone mentioned their brine fries.....They were right-delicious!
I have to say that part of the charm was our waiter, Butch. He was gracious and entertaining and made us feel very welcome and relaxed. We loved the place so much that we brought back all the boys with us the next day and they loved it just as much. Delicious appetizers - potato skins with crab meat-these were gone in about 3 minutes! Hot crab dip -definitely has a bit of a kick to it- very CHEESY :) the kids devoured it 2x
Having grown up close to the Chesapeake Bay, we are picky about our crabcakes.....we all agreed these were the best! The crabcake sandwich had a slight orange zest on the bun which added a new flavor. The crabcake was CRAB and had no fillers :)
The fried shrimp were perfection-not overcooked and lightly breaded. The kids loved the shrimp tacos, which had three large shrimp and homemade salsa in them.
The blackened Mahi was also a good choice and was perfect.
Everything is HOMEMADE.....the dressings, the sauces, even the Ketchup!
Dessert....Beaufort Butter cake with Butch's special "works".....a party in your mouth!